Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one?

Posted by: zenstate

Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 08:27 AM

I recently bought one of the new Core2Duo mini's and even though in many ways its a total screamer I find the HD access speeds bog things down often enough to be a drag on my user experience.  Plus the stock 80GB won't be enough looking forward.

My options are either upgrade the internal 2.5" (Hitachi 80GB 5400rpm 8mb) to a Seagate 7200rpm 2.5" 160GB 8MB buffer I can buy a a local shop - OR - buy a http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministackv3 FW drive from OWC.  I would think that an internal SATA 7200rpm even though a 2.5" would be faster than a FW drive in some ways.

Thoughts?
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 03:41 PM

Well, it's not like the original mini.  Your best performance upgrade would be sticking a faster internal drive in your machine.  I'd go that route for sure. 

Also, try having a boot partition thats journaled and a secondary "Home" partition non-journaled.  See if you get the freaky speed boost that I got on my MacBook.  You may be happy with what you have and end up getting the ministack.
Posted by: manhackman

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: "whitlock "

Well, it's not like the original mini

what do you mean by that?

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: "manhackman "

I'm pretty sure he meant that the original (PowerPC) mini used PATA and the Intel mini's use SATA.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: "zenstate "

Originally Posted By: "manhackman "

I'm pretty sure he meant that the original (PowerPC) mini used PATA and the Intel mini's use SATA.

Exactly.

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 09/30/07 05:44 PM

Also the PowerPC mini's used 4200rpm drives and the intel's use 5400

Internal 7200 SATA will give me the best performance in this situation.  Some benchmarks I have seen put some 2.5" 7200rpm SATA around 70MB sec.  Firewire maxes out at 50MB sec..

Internal for me
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Mac mini HD upgrade.. which one? - 10/01/07 11:12 AM

I just swapped out the 60GB 5400 in my MacBook for a 100GB 7200rpm. Finder is as snappy as any Intel Mac I've used under 10.4.10.
Yet to see anything match the dual 2.5 G5 tower (single core) under Panther though. It was as quick as OS 9......