New PM G4s

Posted by: yoyo52

New PM G4s - 01/28/02 08:04 PM

So how about it--what's your thinking about the new PMs? My good old 400 MHz tower is getting creakier by the second <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New PM G4s - 01/28/02 10:15 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So how about it--what's your thinking about the new PMs? My good old 400 MHz tower is getting creakier by the second.<p><hr></blockquote><p>So's my G4 DP 450. <br><br>Let's see, the new iBooks @ G3/600 beat us both in real world, day to day activities with OS X. Am referring to the one with a big monitor. It has same size display, but better graphics card, costs $1.9k and has CDR/RW-DVD drive instead of the DVD drive of my $3.5k TiBook 500. :rolleyes:<br><br>The recently speed bumped TiBooks (G4/550 and G4/667) beat us both in OS X as well. Let's ignore the issue of their better graphics card than the one in my TiBook 500, default drive size, and cost if you don't mind.<br><br>We both get our doors blown off by all three models of the iMac2. Highend costs $1.9k. Base cost of my Tower was $3k with 17" CRT as I recall, although drive was was much smaller in my Tower. (We'll ignore the issue of footprint and the 17" CRT I bought with it.)<br><br>(Did I mention the Super Drive in the $1.9k model vs. the DVD drive in my Tower?)<br><br>Then these new G4 Towers come along, probably an interim move pending the next generation G5 Towers, with their GeForce4 graphics cards, Super Drives and.....<br><br>I bought my Cinema display when they were $4k. At least I didn't buy it when they were $5k. I don't recall if there's some kind of "deal" going for the (now) $2.5k Cinema display if purchased with the new Tower. :rolleyes:<br><br>I feel like I have an Apple II again. <br><br>(It cost around $2.8k with RGB 14" CRT with its 128k RAM and 1MHz CPU.)<br><br>These are sad times for those who suffer from envy, jealousy, and slothful thoughts, not to mention anyone with maxed out credit cards or a negative balance in their checkbook. <br><br>(or teenager who needs braces) <br><br>I'm not waiting for the G5 Tower.<br><br>I ordered a DP G4 1GHz this morning.<br><br>There is absolutely nothing in the world wrong with a G4 DP 400 or 450 Tower when it comes to running OS X.<br><br>I don't care.<br><br>I can hardly wait to max out the RAM. <br><br>Life is good. <br><br><br><br>[color:blue]128k_Mac</font color=blue><br><br>Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings--The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances; The wind that blows is all that any body knows. [color:blue]Henry David Thoreau</font color=blue><br>

Re: New PM G4s - 01/28/02 10:45 PM

So am I jealous? You bet your bippy.<br><br>(Now that's a flash from the past which came from somewhere deep in the caverns of my miiiiind )<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: New PM G4s - 01/28/02 11:00 PM

Bippy?<br><br>Bippy?<br><br>40 years since I first heard that word? About.<br><br>25 years since I last heard that work? About.<br><br>What's it mean? I've forgotten? <br><br>[color:blue]128k_Mac</font color=blue><br><br>Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings--The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances; The wind that blows is all that any body knows. [color:blue]Henry David Thoreau</font color=blue><br>

Re: New PM G4s - 01/29/02 07:59 AM

I have no idea waht it means. It was one of those Laugh In things.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: New PM G4s - 01/29/02 08:57 AM

Bit of sarcasm on my part of course.<br><br>Rowan & Martin from Laugh In, the Saturday Night Live of my generation, got it into the Oxford English Dictionary I suspect.<br><br>It would be the only word in the Dictionary with no meaning at all, a philologist's delight. <br><br>The edit: I forget. I think I'm having my second Monday this week. :rolleyes:<br><br>[color:blue]128k_Mac</font color=blue><br><br>Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings--The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances; The wind that blows is all that any body knows. [color:blue]Henry David Thoreau</font color=blue><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 128K_Mac on 01/29/02 12:00 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Menikmati3

Congrats - 04/20/02 10:17 PM

I have the Dual GHz. I love it. You will love it. It will love you. iTunes visuals will love it. You will love iTunes visuals. Can you feel all the love in this room? <br><br>BTW, all of your graphics, video, and other heavy duty apps will love it as well, it's just the simple things like iTunes that make the thing shine.<br><br>[color:green][i]Looks like I'll be here for a while...
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New PM G4s - 04/21/02 12:06 AM

So tell us how it is! I didn't realize you ordered one...pics man..we demand pics of the setup! <br><br>Speaking of which...<br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Don't forget the movie ... - 04/21/02 09:22 AM

The Maltese Bippy<br><br>One for the ages =D<br><br>***matt<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New PM G4s - 04/22/02 09:16 AM

I'm running a Dual ghz Quicksilver and it ROCKS! Especially if you run OSX on it. I have a Dual 450 and a 400 as well, and they just pale in comparison when running OSX. Running OS9 on the dual is blindingly fast (almost too fast when scrolling, it's damn hard to scroll to where you want cause it goes so fast).<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: New PM G4s - 04/22/02 10:59 AM

Is there a definitive resource that states OS 9 does, in fact, make use of dual processors? I thought I'd read something to that effect.<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Don't forget the movie ... - 04/22/02 11:09 AM

Gotta buy it!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New PM G4s - 04/22/02 11:37 AM

Certain apps take advantage of dual processors (like photoshop filters) but OS9 itself does not recognize dual p's.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>