Ram issues??

Posted by: zenstate

Ram issues?? - 12/04/06 04:28 PM

Hi all.  I recently bought a G4 MDD dual 867 and I LOVE it.

I am having just one issue with it though..    A couple hours after I got it I ran the Apple Hardware Test on it and it found an issue with 1 of the 3x256 memory sticks.  It simply said that it failed the test.  The 2 hours before I used the hardware test I was running Tiger with no issues at all..  No kernel panics at all and none ever with it.  I thought that was a sure sign of bad hardware?  Is the ram ok or not?  Can

Anyway..  now and then the system just locks up on me.  If I am playing music or a podcast when it happens it sounds like a record skipping over a 1 second part of a song over and over till I do a hard boot.  Everything locks when it happens.  The lock ups are too varied and different to easily trouble shoot the issue..

Other times it has happened was when I opened a video podcast in itunes and twice when I was using Google Earth.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Posted by: maestro

Re: Ram issues?? - 12/04/06 04:31 PM

OSX can be very picky about ram.  Ram also fails over time like anything else.  Take that stick out and see if it runs better.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Ram issues?? - 12/04/06 05:07 PM

Sounds like a bad stick or a memory mismatch.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Ram issues?? - 12/04/06 08:21 PM

I took the stick out and re-ran the hardware test. 

all is well now  smile

its a good thing i'm buying ram from you now maestro as I have 2 empty slots now and only 512MB  frown

thanks guys