PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD

Posted by: zenstate

PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/20/06 03:27 PM

I just got a dual 867 MDD powermac very cheap and i'm very happy about it.  I also have a Mac mini G4 1.25Ghz.

One of them must go and I would like some input on which one would be better to keep. 

The mini has a slightly faster bus but the MDD has dual cpu and L3 cache.  I know the MDD is more expandable but I want feedback on which system will be better looking forward.  I will sell the other.

Please share any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/20/06 05:53 PM

Hands down keep the MDD. Thats my 2.  The MDD has huge upgradabilty that the mini lacks. (GPU, HD, PCI) In my opinion there is no forward advantage to the mini unless its an intel.
Posted by: 987687

Re: PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/20/06 06:27 PM

I would keep the mini just because of its size. But there are a lot of things you should consider like RAM, HD size, and wireless connectivity. Not than you can't upgrade these, but that costs money. It really depends on what you plan on using your computer for. I would keep the mini because i need a new server, and it is small. Also a big issue for me is power consumption because my house runs on solar.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/21/06 10:30 AM

I have decided to keep the MDD. Within a year I will upgrade it to a dual 1.6 or dual 1.8 from Sonnet. I have ordered another 1GB of ram (2x512MB) for it and once I get that in there there will be 1.5GB. Thats a good amount for me as I have 1GB on the mini and find it to be a little too little 

I have also just bid on an Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 64MB on ebay. The MDD has a 32MB version of the same card. Looks like I may get the vid card for under 10 bucks. Good price for doubling vram.

Let the upgrades begin!
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/22/06 06:18 AM

Keep the MDD. You can always get a faster dual CPU later.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: PowerPC mac mini vs. Dual 867 G4 MDD - 11/22/06 11:18 AM

I got my FX5200 for about $15. Check out my mod guide to install it in an MDD.