new video card?

Posted by: zenstate

new video card? - 11/13/05 09:01 AM

i'm a pretty hardcore geek but do not know much about gpu technology. I have a G4 sawtooth 500 that I use as a media center and it only has a Rage 128 pro 16mb. very soon I will be upgrading the cpu to a G4 1ghz and would also like to upgrade the agp slot to a better card.

the main thing I am wondering is if a better card would really help me. all I do on this system is watch divx, dvd, quicktime and listen to music with itunes. would a newer vcard help me? will a modern tech vcard render video better or will the faster G4 cpu be all I need?
Posted by: maestro

Re:new video card? - 11/13/05 12:04 PM

Thats a good quesition. The answer is an upgrade would be a good move. The better cards do actually make watching movies better, especially at higher rez on bigger screens. I think you would be happy with a 9000 pro which would be cheap on ebay.
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:new video card? - 11/14/05 03:34 AM

well, if you like iTunes visualizations...
Posted by: destructospin

Re:new video card? - 11/14/05 05:39 AM

i LIVE for visualizations
im buying a G5 quad with the Quadro card
just for those
visualizations on 3 displays!!!
Posted by: burtman

Re:new video card? - 11/14/05 07:48 AM

Also a faster grpahics card will support the fancy effects in OS X like expose and all the nifty window fade effects, it may make you computer "feel" quicker when your working in OS X just dragging stuff about and opending and closing windows.
Posted by: maestro

Re:new video card? - 11/14/05 11:14 AM

True, OSX does like a good vid card. If you want the full effect of Tiger, you need a 9600-9800pro.
-maestro