The LampiMac is with a fan?

Posted by: Anonymous

The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/07/02 02:32 PM

Welll that is the question, some claim it is, and some say is has no fan. So is there anybosy who knows?<br><br>

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 11:54 AM

The new iMac has no fan.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 12:34 PM

Sorry, I wich it was so, but have just found out from other forums that it does have a fan. So if you are not just gussing, let us know.<br><br>

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 12:44 PM

acutally the new imac does have a fan. runs very quiet and adjusts itself as needed working harder as things heat up and slowing down when unit is cooler<br><br>

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 01:09 PM

I read somewhere it didn't have a fan. I'm not that interested in the new iMac and have been avoiding all the threads pertaining to it on Ars Tech, MacFixIt, MacInTouch et al.<br><br>If I'm wrong I'm sorry. Since I'm not that interested and have read so much hype about new products (mostly software) the last few days I don't have a clue where I read that.<br><br>If someone else knows please don't "reply" to me in this forum. Sorry if I mislead you in any way and if I'm wrong. As far as I know my original post was correct and I'm unlikely to track the issue further.<br><br>If I were considering a new iMac I'd be less worried about the fan issue and more excited about all the bang you get for your buck. They look like a great buy.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 06:04 PM

<br>From Macworld.com:<br><br><br>"Inside the iMac's base is a custom-designed circular motherboard, featuring a bus speed of 100MHz. Also aboard is a cooling fan, made necessary by the iMac's dense engineering and the heat of the high-speed G4 processor. However, Apple says the fan's as quiet as a whisper during normal use. In addition, the fan's intelligent enough to only crank up to full speed when it's really warm inside."<br><br>

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/08/02 07:11 PM

The user who has an interest in this matter is Haddock.<br><br>When posting a message on this forum it will be helpful to the person who has an interest or has a question if you click on "reply" to that person's original or follow-up message.<br><br>The forum software can be confusing. But it works like MacFixIt or other Mac forums which have a specific "reply" option. Since user can select "email all replies....etc." this can be important.<br><br>No big deal. Just thot I'd mention.<br><br>Welcome to the forum. Your input will be most welcome.<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/19/02 03:29 PM

I can confirm that the new iMac does indeed have an internal fan. I spoke to an Enginner on the project and he confirmed it. However, the fan is a variable speed fan that measures CPU core temp. and adjust acordingly. Plus it has a built in air baffle that keeps the noise down to 28dB. And for refrence a human wisper is around 32dB, so you don't need to worry about noise. <br>And just one more thing, the Hard Drive in the unit uses the new IBM Fluid Dynamic Bearings so the whole machine is really quite.<br>Just waiting for our order to be filled!<br><br>

Re: The LampiMac is with a fan? - 01/19/02 08:09 PM

Hope you get yours soon! <br><br>Do post your impressions. Have not read a review by anyone who had hands on with iMac2 that didn't think it was great.<br><br>(A variety of people, self included, fouled up that first report on the iMac2 and fan. One was MacFixIt, of all places, and is likely my source of incorrect info posted. That fan you mention is a slight refinement of the one in current G4 Tower. It only operates when temperature is above a certain level, which means it can run even with the Mac shut down if temperature warrants. I've "heard," actually "not heard" would be a better expression, setups with multiple new IBM drives. Very quiet.)<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.