21.5" vs. 27"

Posted by: padmavyuha

21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 01:05 PM

I'm in a quandary. You may not pity me for this...

It's got to the point where I find it pretty hard to read text and some of the more fiddly apps on my MBP's screen unless it's blown up large. Plus the screen is too dark. So I'm taking the plunge and getting out of the portable world and into the desktop world. These new screens are just fantastic.

I have a choice between the top end 21.5" and the bottom end 27" and apart from the screen size, you get the exact same specs between them, price difference over here 150. A further 150 gets the mad 4-core 27".

I've just checked, and the 27" will just fit under the shelf on my desk (these things matter.) What I'm asking myself is, would a 27" screen be just too bloody big? I'll be using it for writing (words and music) and some animation editing and multitrack audio editing, as well as the usual stuff. then there's this 'problem' with the 27" models and flash, which may be a deeper issue.

I guess a trip to the Apple store is in order.

The other quandary is whether I can wait until March (though I'm finding what I'm trying to do right now pretty hard with the smaller screen). Because in March I become a student again, and get a discount (plus they might have got cheaper/faster by then anyway, but that's always the dream/nightmare, isn't it?).

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 01:26 PM

Okay, went off half-cocked there. The 27" is simply too big - I wouldn't see the top of the screen under my shelf, and it's too wide anyway! So things get simpler. I've never used a screen larger than 19" before, so 21,5 wide-screen is going to seem huge anyway.

I can get the 3.33GHz C2D 21.5" model with 4Gb RAM etc. for 1,510 and then get 4Gb more ram elsewhere for 90 (instead of the 160 Apple wants). This should keep me going for some years. So, 1,600 less what I get for selling my MBP and my mythically immaculate tibook.

I'd save a small percentage waiting until I'm a student, but then I'd be transferring all my data over to a new mac whilst in the throes of starting a new course, and I could really use the better/bigger screen now. So I think I'm going to do it this month - in time to sell the notebooks in the christmas rush, I hope.

Apologies for the thinking-out-loud shaggy blog story smile.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 01:58 PM

It can never be too big. smile

Which two monitors.

Edit - Oops. The reply window sat open for a while.

Never mind. You'll love the 21 anyway, enjoy.
Posted by: carp

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 02:13 PM

To be honest

I love the screen real estate on our iMac 24 , then that went to my daughter and I got a iMac 20 inch . I love that just as well , mind you I am not a power user so unlike my daughter who has 6 apps open at the same time , so for me having a smaller screen real estate is not an issue

Believe me you will love the 21.5 more so coming in from a MBP .

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 02:22 PM

I'm looking forward to it - I may already have a buyer for the MBP smile. And I'm going to get an external DVD drive for watching films - enough of this 'replace the superdrive 4 times' nonsense.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 02:28 PM

The external DVD is a good idea , go with it .

Only problems I had with iMacs was HD failure . Well they seem to run really hot but I believe that issue was addressed with the newer iMacs - otherwise very solid machines .

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 02:46 PM

I'm looking at a bus-powered CD/DVD player, no need for extra power lumps just to play films. Found an apparently good one for 40.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
I'm looking at a bus-powered CD/DVD player, no need for extra power lumps just to play films. Found an apparently good one for 40.
That's a great idea, which one though oh man of mystery. wink Besides no lumps, when it wears out, and it will, they all do, you'll be glad it's not the internal.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/11/09 11:33 PM

This one from Amazon UK - it's an LG drive. I've also seen BluRay reader drives for around 80, but I guess I'll wait until I wear this one out, by which time BR drives will be 40 smile.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/12/09 03:04 PM

Okay, the iMac is on order - eek! Should see it (and the extra ram & external DVD player) in a week.

Now I'm going to need a bigger Time Machine drive, dammit. It's a bloody shame Apple aren't putting eSata sockets on their products yet, considering how many quad external drives are around these days. But apparently Leopard never played very well with eSata, never mind SL. Oh well, I suppose it'll be USB3.14159 or something that takes over from FW800.
Posted by: DLC

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/12/09 04:52 PM

Yeah that's too tough a choice . . just go with a $399 WalMart PC ! laugh

Wait, do you have Wally Worlds in the UK...? grin

You can't lose padmavyuha! I'd go the 27" if I had the dough.
Or get a 24" and a 2nd 20-22" monitor... I love having 2. Very Handy.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/14/09 11:54 AM

Blimey, my external DVD drive already arrived - very nice and quiet, but doesn't draw enough juice from the USB bus to run without using the mains adaptor, grmmmbll. Maybe it'll be different once I'm using the iMac. Oh, and of course now I've had to get a UPS too, since the mains here are a bit unpredictable. Weird - first non-laptop computer I've owned since 1991!

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/14/09 12:55 PM

Try a different USB port. One model of the MBP didn't have enough power on the right USB port to power a drive. Don't know which one you have exactly.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/17/09 02:32 PM

iMac despatched today - they say it'll reach me on or before the 26th. Meanwhile, my extra ram arrived this morning - and then I had to start up my old truck so I could tow the delivery guy's van out of a ditch - all very manly stuff!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/17/09 04:17 PM

I hope you thumped your chest vigorously.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 12:11 AM

Arriving this morning smile. Hmm... to migrate or not to migrate? Does migration miss anything out that I should be aware of?

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 02:49 AM

Migrating right now - photos to follow once I can get 'em off my phone smile.

First impressions: magic mouse, sleek but too thin for comfort, click is very loud! Keyboard will take some getting used to, but my old icekey was starting to pack up anyway. I'm glad I didn't go for the bigger screen, I'm already feeling agoraphobic. Sockets all on the back, pain in the arse. Shiny screen, annoying but I'll get used to it. 1tb hdd, more agoraphobia. Speakers, impressive!

I got a new remote too, has replaceable battery which is smart. Got the 3.36ghz processor and have 8gb ram, this better keep me going for a few years now smile.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 04:21 AM

Behold the glow... I'm already finding the screen glare from the white parts a bit much to bear frown.

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 05:01 AM

Blimey, you can turn the monitor down a bit...
I think I'm blind now... grin

Arrrgghhh... where's my coffee?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 07:15 AM

You do get used to the keyboard. And isn't it nice to have agoraphobia? smile

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 10:31 AM

I'm liking the keyboard - it takes a while to get used to how low down it is compared to my old one, and how quiet!

Once some more enhancements come along for the magic mouse, it'll be great. At the moment, I love the stroke-to-scroll web pages etc. function. It's driving me nuts though not to be able to assign stuff to it - I'm trying out an app called MouseWizard, but it's still in early days and doesn't let me do the two things I most used SteerMouse for (which won't recognise the Magic Mouse, of course) - I had it set up so that in most apps, middle-click did cmd-h to hide the app, and in a few choice ones like Firefox and iTunes and so on, it was a backpage button. I miss it!

I've just got home and it's dark here, and using this imac in the relative lower light is delightful. It's when the room has some ambient sunlight in the background that the reflections are annoying. And yes, I can turn it down to reduce white-out.

Blimey, it's fast! Probably hdd as well as the processor is faster, because now logging out and in again takes about a second instead of half a minute. Screen size is pretty weird - especially now that my browser screen is the other side of the sky from its own menu items, so I have to go waaaay up there on the left to choose from the bookmarks menu. I think there's a way of adding it to the bookmark bar as a dropdown.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 11:28 AM

WoW sweet congrats

Try changing your desktop pic to something not as dark , I use a sunset scene and it helps a bit with the glare , it is still there but not as noticeable as with a dark background .

Not sure if I would like the magic mouse either ? I never liked that mighty mouse , tend to prefer physical buttons and a real scroll wheel .

I really love the feel of the keyboard and it cleans up really easy

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Not sure if I would like the magic mouse either ? I never liked that mighty mouse , tend to prefer physical buttons and a real scroll wheel .
Try it out. It's much different than the mighty mouse, not so easy to do a wrong click. The slight up curve of the sides, the sharper edges, and shape of the corners, gives your fingers a reference point for clicking instead of the smooth sides and rounded corners of the mighty mouse.

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 12:03 PM

Like carp said about the background, change it to something less contrasty, it's easier on the eyes. Also don't forget you can turn down the brightness.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 12:23 PM

I'm liking the keyboard - it takes a while to get used to how low down it is compared to my old one, and how quiet!

I love the keyboard. I really notice the difference when I help my neighbor on her clunky PC keyboard. The keys feel like kiddie stacking wood blocks as my fingers try banging them down! Ha smile

Nice set up with the two computers. You're all set now!

Kate

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: carp
Try it out. It's much different than the mighty mouse, not so easy to do a wrong click. The slight up curve of the sides, the sharper edges, and shape of the corners, gives your fingers a reference point for clicking instead of the smooth sides and rounded corners of the mighty mouse.

Yeah I have to go to the store and check them out . The 2 mighty mouse that came with the iMacs are in the closet , I am using Kensington pilot mouse , which I like allot . What bothered me the most was not the nipple ball but the errant left click when I placed my hand on the mouse and the right click stopped working .

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 03:20 PM

I've already got a dark desktop - it's all the white behind (for example) this window I'm typing in now in firefox that's too bright!

I've just changed the background colour to ease it off a bit. But that means not letting the web pages choose their own link colours either. Nothing is perfect.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: 21.5" vs. 27" - 11/25/09 06:56 PM

I've just changed the background colour to ease it off a bit. But that means not letting the web pages choose their own link colours either. Nothing is perfect.

I just went to my personal MacTech forum prefs to look at what style sheets are available. Decided to try out Fabulae_Marii_Soft. It is bright but somewhat subdued from the default one.

Kate