...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself

Posted by: John_Lasruk

...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/15/09 08:05 PM

So I bought this Philips widescreen 23" LCD monitor and plugged it into my 24" iMac via a DVI cable. All well and good. The Philips is almost as sharp as the iMac's built-in LCD display. Now I can leave pictures in Photoshop on the iMac and stick palettes, menus, etc., on the Philips.

Made my life simpler, right?

Wrong. Together, the two displays create a giant display forty one inches wide. And I keep losing the furschlugginer cursor. Even Mouse Locator is only a minor relief, since I must still scan this vast window over a yard wide to find the cursor target.

Oh, well, I suppose I'll get used to it...

Posted by: trey

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/15/09 08:37 PM

laugh smile You'll get used to it.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/15/09 08:56 PM

I have the same problem in my office, John, although not with so much real estate (just a 12" PB and a 19" flat screen monitor). I'm constantly losing the cursor. That's been going on for four years. I hope you get used to your screenage more easily!
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/16/09 12:51 AM

Resistance is futile, you will assimilate yourself... laugh

Yeah, I have had a 24" external display often hooked up to my 13" PB since June and sometimes I still lose sight of the damn cursor.

I don't really think there is such a thing as too much screen real estate. Well, not very ecological or energy saving when it gets out of hand, but still.

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/16/09 04:27 AM

Yoyo and McMeister, maybe Mouse Locator can help you. It's freeware.

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted myself - 10/16/09 04:37 AM

I'll try it!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/16/09 07:56 AM

Gee, you've got it so rough. grin

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/16/09 09:09 AM

Hmm. Reboot, you're right. Sarcastic, but right. On second reading it does look like bragging.

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/16/09 09:55 AM

Mouse Locator has already been useful--thanks for the tip, John.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/16/09 10:00 AM

No brag, just fact. I have about the same amount of screen real estate in front of me. 2560x1600 sitting next to 1920x1200.

Just downloaded the Mouselocator that yoyo mentioned and it is totally awesome. I've got it now so it turns on after only two seconds and does not go off until I click. Sweet! I have to lock my computer before I leave at night. The number of times I am standing there without my glasses trying to get the cursor to find the bottom right corner. this thing has saved me seconds a day. ;-)

The green target looks cool too.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/16/09 04:36 PM

All in fun you know.

You do have a nice setup, brag. smile

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/17/09 05:45 AM

By the way, you can change the tarket's shape or colour: go here.
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/22/09 04:16 PM

Maybe they need to make some sort of audio locator that would pinpoint the location via surround sound speakers?
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: ...on the other hand, I may have outsmarted my - 10/23/09 12:26 AM

Wouldn't quite work for me...I suffered a slight, but noticeable hearing loss in my other ear while in the military (they tested and denied...) which by now I can successfully compensate most of the time when locating sound sources, but not always. So, I'd hate to be off by a few pixels... :P

That might work best with an EMFI-sheet inside the screen, to get the sound source as accurate as possible.