10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list.

Posted by: Jim_

10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 08/27/09 07:31 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669
Posted by: carp

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 08/27/09 10:18 PM

Holy crap , did you see the list of drivers for HP

How do they make money supporting all that legacy plus parts inventory

Mine is supported via Gutenprint driver and I can fax and scan via print window - cool - but I never scan or faxed before so I bet I could have through HP print manager window anyway
Posted by: Lea

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 08/28/09 05:43 AM

N kidding! I can't believe my (too embarrassed to actually name) old but to this day kick butt reliable HP is on the list!

I especially like that business about custom install and not having to load every driver in the universe. Sweet. (But we still can't do that with languages, right?)

Thanks, Reboot. Most excellent link.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 08/28/09 06:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Lea

I especially like that business about custom install and not having to load every driver in the universe. Sweet. (But we still can't do that with languages, right?)
I read where languages only takes up about 250M now. cool
Posted by: Lea

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 08/28/09 06:42 AM

Now that I've had a little more cafe mocha ~ CS would probably melt and run through the cheese grater if I could jack with languages. Which I get, I see questions in the user forum all the time re: other than USA English.

But oh, yeah ~ 250M? indeed.

Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 09/11/09 03:49 AM

Interesting - OKI (whose fabulous v1.0.0 drivers for their B410 LED printer just about worked in Leopard) told me last week they're working on a driver update to support 10.6. I checked their downloads page today, and they've pulled the old driver altogether for the moment, so there's only support for winxx. Luckily I've got the old driver running under Rosetta (minus about half its functionality, such as duplex printing) and my HP Business Inkjet 1100 is in a similar position, running on a later driver but without duplex etc.

C'mon OKI, I know you can do it.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 09/11/09 03:49 PM

Have you tried setting the printer up using CUPS? Just enter http://localhost:631 in your Web browser, click add a printer, and follow the prompts. It **might** work with all the features that way. Only way to find out is try.

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 09/11/09 11:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - but the thing is, the OSX printer service tells me my printer's plugins (e.g. duplex) are the wrong architecture for 10.6.x and I need to contact the driver developers for an update.
Posted by: FSM

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 09/12/09 11:43 AM

i bought the first Brother printer we've ever had this week. it's a laser printer and it's set up to be wireless. i used the included CD-Rom to install the drivers on my wife's Macbook Pro. it needed Rosetta. fine, i had added it to her SL install. however, i went to do it to my computer but i don't have Rosetta and i am determined not to use it. so i went to print and found the printer and clicked on it. it just worked. i don't think i told it to use CUPS either but perhaps that becomes the default absent the actual drivers???

but today i noticed that Apple released new drivers for Canon and Brother printers. i just installed that as they noted it helps with SL. i had never noticed that drivers were coming from Apple as i figured the individual companies would release their own drivers when they were available. hmmmm.

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 09/21/09 01:44 AM

When it absolutely has to be duplex...

I've used iPartition to create a little extra volume on my external HDD with a copy of Leopard on it, so when I want to print things properly (i.e. without using kludged wrong printer drivers in 10.6) I boot into leopard to print. So I've got my decent photo printing, and my duplex printing back, which saves paper, but it adds 5 minutes onto each print run to switch OS's. It's a bloody shame there aren't any virtualisation apps that can run different versions of OSX in them.

Re: 10.6 Printer and scanner compatibility list. - 11/13/09 01:14 AM

Interesting development - updating to 10.6.2 has solved the 'broken architecture' issue for my OKI B410 driver, so I now have duplex printing back - though stupidly, you have to not only select the duplex option, but also check a new Two-Sided checkbox before it'll actually print duplex - redundancy abounds:

The hilarious thing is that I discovered this whilst printing out a letter of complaint to OKI UK about how they haven't fixed their driver yet! Oh well, saved some postage at least.