My new Mac Pro w/LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner

Posted by: NucleusG4

My new Mac Pro w/LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner - 08/07/09 07:55 PM

Well.. I've had my replacement MP for a couple of weeks now and I wanted to post a few pics. I started this post about 10 days ago and then we had a power outage after I almost finished... and was too tired to redo it. So I am now retyping it. grin

If you aren't familiar with my trouble it is in this post...
http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/435586/Re_Is_AppleCare_worth_it#Post435586

As soon as I knew it was coming I ordered 6 gigs of ram for $106.00 from TransIntl. I've used them before and their ram is reasonably priced and good quality.
I also ordered a PCI-X 3 port FW 400 card since it doesn't sport anything short of 800.
In addition I ordered a BLu-Ray burner..
This one.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...ntent-_-text-_-
Which came with a free 25 GB BD 4X Disc.

Apple shows you what an 8 core memory/processor board looks like but not the 4 core.

Here's mine on the kitchen counter.

All photos taken with my iPhone.

I wondered why the heat sink was so big.. till I looked down the length of it.

It's got a fan built in to cool the coils.
Honestly, I can't even remember what my previous heat sink looked like and it wasn't as easily accessible to see any fan so I don't know if this is new or not.

Here's the bay for the memory/CPU board.. you can see the small slots that it rides in on... like your chest of drawers. These guide it in to plug into the interface you see in the back.

Notice the mobo is all black.

There are some variations to installing the ram and different configs for speed or max ram. I was sure I had it right but was still surprised to see this message on start up.

The upgraded ATI Radeon HD 4870 512.

The 1st gen drive trays are smaller than the new ones... also gives you better finger-grip underneath for removing them.Also, they used to have user-friendly screws that had a larger, ridged head but now they are smaller, not as ridged and use a smaller phillips head. They also have small rubbery "washers" top and bottom that I presume are to dampen vibration and have the added benefit of not being easy to remove so the screws don't fall right out and get lost.

I guess these boards don't let you post more than 10 pics in a post so I'll continue in the reply below.

Re: My new Mac Pro - 08/07/09 08:15 PM

Now the tough part... at least for me.
Installing the Blu-Ray drive.
I have never done this and went to town immediately since the drive was delivered the day before I got the MP.
Getting the drive module out was some work but I figured it out. Quite simple now that I know how it's done.

You can see that Apple has supplied the MP with the appropriate connector which on the first gen you had to run the extra cable yourself after purchasing it to the mobo with an L-connector. Easy as pie now. Cable-ready it is.

Here's the unit on my counter.

It rides on the same rails/buttons config as the memory board.

I had a hella time getting it in and working.

At first it wouldn't eject due to the faceplate. I finally realized that came off and then it wouldn't eject and neither would the supplied Pioneer Apple drive. I had tried to remove the plate on the front of the box and got some tabs out of whack... once I figured that out (next day) I was good to go.

Here's a new screen...lol

And opening the mounted BD to drop in data and burn from the Finder since I was waiting on my Toast Titanium 10.

I burned some photos for my wife. She has 54 GB of family and event photos dating back to 2003.
After formatting there is only 46.61 GB left. Imagine that. I lost almost as much as fits on a DVD to formatting. LOL

I burned her a full disk and it took 90 minutes on a 2x Sony BD. I had ordered 10 2x BDs on Ebay from a guy in Japan and had them shipped since 50 GB discs cost about $20.00 otherwise.
They cost me $10.21 each from Japan.

I figure the free 25 GB 4x Ridata I got with the burner will burn in about 22 minutes.

Toast window..

Then I realized that my wifes folders also contained video... which wouldn't work for my project. I was making her a massive Photo Disc in Toast to play on our BD Player so she can see them on the HDTV in our living room.
After removing the video files I had a bunch of room left on the disc to burn.
I have been working on this a bit at a time and adding in photos of mine since she always complains she doesn't get to see all of my shots. I still have 2 GB left and we now stand at 19,343 photos.
This from cameras in 2003 till now that range from 6-8-10 MP.
So figure over 20,000 photos on a disc. She is gonna be in front of that TV for a looong time.
grin grin grin

Posted by: Clark

Re: My new Mac Pro - 08/08/09 07:51 AM

Wow, that's a lot of work but a very nice job!
I'd heard how hard it is to crack Blu-ray encryption so just out of curiosity I looked for Blu-ray ripping software. Looks like there are plenty available for PCs already.

Re: My new Mac Pro - 08/08/09 09:48 AM

Yeah.. it's near impossible I would think. I'm not into ripping movies anymore. I ripped plenty from/to DVD and it lost it's appeal.

I am now gathering all my discs onto a 600 GB drive that came with the new Mac. Then sort and burn... sort and burn.