New HD

Posted by: yoyo52

New HD - 12/15/01 08:43 PM

I'm excited to have installed a new 60 GB HD in my G4 tower. I got it yesterday and have been putzing with it and the old drive ever since. I used to have two partitions on the single drive, but I've gotten rid of the partitions, and now have X on the new drive and 9.2 on the old drive. The only difficult thing about the change was that I couldn't just drag all the files in the old OS X partition onto the new drive and have that serve instead of reinstalling the OS. So I did have to reinstall X onto the new drive. On the other hand, I did not have to reinstall any of the X apps. I just dragged them over from the old partition, and of course the preferences files and all the other sundry files that the various apps installed. Since I had to reformat the old HD to get rid of the partition, I did have to move al the files associated with the OS 9 partition back and forth from HD to HD a couple of times, but that was no problem (except that I had a severe case of having to rebuild the desktop!).<br><br>All in all it was as painless as could be expected.<br><br>This is the first HD I've installed, by the way, so I'm a little proud of myself right now. I know that feeling will die soon, though, 'cause for me it's not a whole lot of time that passes between mistakes .<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New HD - 12/15/01 09:49 PM

Atta boy!<br><br>It wasn't all that tough, was it? And you've never seen a klutz bigger than me and I can do it.<br><br>But the first time I ever installed an internal SCSI and then later an ATA drive my chest stuck out a bit. So welcome to the club. <br><br>What you need to do now is take a couple of these extra good old SCSIs I have. I think I have one (two?) Seagate Barracuda UW 18GB and two Seagate Cheetah LVD 160 36GB. Then your G4 tower will sound like mine, a 747 taking off. <br><br>(With the two Cheetahs installed it sounds like the Concorde.)<br><br>Right now I have the other two 18GB Cudas installed and one has -0- on it and the other has OS 9.1 (or something) on it. For a while I would boot in 9.1, 9.21, and Classic (9.21). Everyone really needs to have that capability. :rolleyes: <br><br>I sympathize with your comments about moving stuff around. You didn't have to do a reinstall with Office X? You must have found all the folders where its "necesities" are located, although I suppose it would do a "first run" and ask for registration key automatically the first time you launched something.<br><br>My not so original trick is to use Tinker Tool to make all files visible, log out, log in, and with a little logic you can find just about everything. My interest is always the registration/copy protection files because I hate to have to enter that stuff again. That's one of the neat things about a "duplicate" backup or reinstall with Retrospect. It finds and replaces all the hidden registration files. (Except fo a few which don't like to be "moved.")<br><br>I'll bet you did have a "bit" of a problem rebuilding desktop. But, hey, as long as you ran Disk Warrior afterwards you did good. <br><br>Now you'll have to find something to fill all that space! I suggest ripping about 400 CDs of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach & Co. That's one of my future projects. And it's one I plan to put off as long as possible. <br><br>Good luck getting all that space filled up. <br><br>My first hard drive (that worked) was 10MB. Then i moved up in style one day to an Apple HD20, 20MB, and I was in heaven. Ah, the bad old days!<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: New HD - 12/15/01 10:14 PM

It wasn't hard at all--except that I was missing the little screws that you use to install the ATA drives on the carrier. But a little angel from my school's computer center gave me what I needed (without consulting the lady he works for, who probably would have put my in prioritized list and then charge me a buck for the things).<br><br>Nope, I did not have to reinstall Office X. I was pretty amazed at that myself. Ol' Bill's slipping up <br><br>I am tempted to put a lot of music onto all that free terrirtory, no doubt about that. I was actually thinking of transforming all of my old records (remember them?) into digital tracks and then burning them onto CDs. However, since I have something like800 records, it ain't gonna happen soon <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: New HD - 12/15/01 10:34 PM

Wild guess.<br><br>Did you buy an IBM 75GXP 60GB from Buy.com?<br><br>They buy some special deal drives or something from IBM. And they never provide screws or a warranty. I've been down that road 3 or 4 times.<br><br>But their prices when they run a special are so good i keep buying them. With the first one i managed to scrounge some screws from my IS department, but I immediately called IBM which conveniently has a toll free tech support number.<br><br>The lady I talked to sent me a warranty card and 2 or 3 dozen (!!) screws. Literally. <br><br>And for each subsequent purchase I just call or email them again. They have a simple feedback system to use. Just logon to their main site at ibm.com and it's fairly simple to find.<br><br>My "guesser" hasn't been working well lately. Let me know if I guessed correctly. If not, you don't need to say a word. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: New HD - 12/15/01 10:45 PM

Oops, didn't finishing replying to your comments and my time has expired to edit.<br><br>Mr. Bill is indeed slipping up if you had no problems with Office X. <br><br>Yes I remember records. I used to have quite a few. But you need to remember that my "kid" (#2 son) has a PhD in Music and is a professor teaching saxophone and piano. <br><br>Guess what happened to all my records, classical and jazz, broadway musical, Beatles, et al?<br><br>They disappeared to same place all my tapes (and any CDs I don't lock up). <br><br>All three of my kids are thieves. I raised a trio of them. That's one reason I have little jazz, almost all classical. And that's really why I need to rip all of them and get them on a hard drive.<br><br>(Actually, they're all quite nice. They always ask me if they can have a "few things" before they carry out boxes and boxes of what they want.) <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: New HD - 12/15/01 11:36 PM

Well, it is an IBM drive, ut I got it from Newegg, not buy.com. So half your guesser is working.<br><br>Your "kids" sound only like part-time thieves. I have only one kid, only 13 (although he'd object vehemently to te "only" part), and he's similarly inclined to part-time thievery, but not of music (yet). Could I borrow a zip disk, he'll ask innocently . . . .<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: New HD - 12/16/01 02:32 PM

Actually in the instance of my "kids" the thievery is best described as "sharing." Once upon a time, as we were all housed under the same room, and averaged from 4 to 6 computers of various sorts, "shared" the same principal library, and shared the same "home entertainment system" (a sad, modern term for a good turntable, amp and speakers), this "sharing" presented no problems.<br><br>Now, however, as "sharing" is a tradition, but we are all scattered about, when they "share" my computer odds & ends, my books, and my music the "shared" item disappears permanently.<br><br>Having raised them to all "share" freely I can only note that I failed to place reasonable limitations on this activity and now suffer for it as all three are beyond redemption.<br><br>We are all planning to "share" by joint participation, wherever we might be, a toast to the anniversary of the Poet's birth (that being J.R.R. Tolkien) at 9PM GMT the third of January, 2002, which means that likely much, if not all, of the "family" crystal will no doubt be "shared" over the upcoming Christmas holiday.<br><br>My ancestry has been traced to a party named Thom (and beyond) who accompanied William when he invaded the Brit islands some time ago. I fear this tradition of "sharing" is a deep and dark character flaw which has persisted in my family for untold generations. <br><br>Thom, for example, "shared" a castle and lands located in Cornwall and later, Herfordshire, which had previously belonged to some of the defeated locals. And so it goes.<br><br> <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: New HD - 12/16/01 04:04 PM

I understand. Sharing is a fine art!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear