New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů

Posted by: zwei

New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/10/09 09:44 AM

Apparently you can format an SD card, install OS X, and use it to boot your Mac cool

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/06/boot-from-the-sd-card-slot-in-new-macbook-pros.ars
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/10/09 10:38 AM

Isn't that nice. cool
Posted by: DLC

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/11/09 05:16 AM

I'm about 95% decided to upgrade my 2 yr old white MacBook to a MacBook Pro.

With the education discount, it will cost me about $250 out of pocket - provided I can sell the old book for $750-800*. Plus one of my students reminded me GA has a tax free weekend for education around the end of July... so i won't have to pay tax on the laptop or the optional printer. grin

S W E E E E T !! wink

* I think I can get that because it still has > 1 yr of AppleCare on it and I bumped the RAM to 4 Gb.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/11/09 05:59 AM

You might be pushing your luck on that price. Right after the WWDC keynote, Apple had refurbs at $749. Went like hot cakes.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/12/09 10:43 AM

AWWW . . Whadda ya mean ?? eek

I'll sell it to some newbie Mac convert from Windows , and he'll think it's a Great DEAL !! laugh

You are probably correct ! blush

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/12/09 11:21 AM

Just for the info, you could look your particular model up at everymac.com to see what they estimate the street price would be.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/14/09 06:35 AM

Well prices are all over $600-800... but a lot depends upon the add-ons... RAM, HD size, Apple Care, and the software.

I may stick with what I have ... mainly use it for presentations and it does that well. Editing is not super fast, but I mainly create the "shows" on my Desktop at home.
Part of my zeal for MBP was the newness of the update info.... I may wait until next summer. Ought to really have some doozies out then.
I've also been thinking I need to replace my desktop .. . it's 5 yrs old G5... That'd make more sense, than replacing a 2 yr old laptop... only problem with that is that I'd spend even more (24" iMac, or a Quad box) than for the laptop... I'd sure like to see a Quad iMac soon... that'd really complicate my choices ! laugh
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 07:11 AM

Apparently some of the new (13") MBPs come with a slower SATA 1/1.5 HDD interface (1.5 GBit/s) rather than SATA 2 (3 GBit/s) used on the earlier models (including mine), according to this Macrumors discussion. So that's very interesting indeed. Then again, the new models have much better batteries that can last up to 8 hours. So knowing this, I wouldn't go out and get the new model before doing some serious consideration of performance needs.

And now I'm even more satisfied that I got this 13" and not the 'upgraded' MBP 13".
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 09:02 AM

It's not a big deal at all. 3GBit/s is way overkill, especially in a laptop. No laptop drive even comes close to saturating an ATA 100 bus, much less SATA 150. An SATA 10,000 RPM Raptor barely utilizes SATA 150, they come in around 65.

Even dual drive RAID 0 Raptors only reach 135;

http://www.barefeats.com/hard38.html

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 11:47 AM

I was kinda thinking that it wasn't much of an issue - probably saves a couple of bucks, too.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 11:54 AM

It will be an issue for people who want to upgrade their HDDs and especially SSDs to faster and bigger ones either right after they buy the machine or some time later. This will basically cripple the faster SSDs on the market when put in MBPs.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 12:37 PM

I put an SATA 3.0 HDD into my wife's Mini and it works just fine (although, at 1.5). Can't vouch for SSDs, though. Do SSDs saturate the bus's bandwidth?

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 01:23 PM

SSDs already can saturate the SATA 2 bandwidth and reverting the bus to SATA 1 bottlenecks it. It's the mechanical drives (HDDs) that most likely will not see a performance hit, but since SSD is the future, this move cuts that upgrade option.

There is, however, the effect on power consumption as SATA 1 bus reduces the overall consumption.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/15/09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MicMeister
SSDs already can saturate the SATA 2 bandwidth

I wasn't aware Apple changed chips though till you mentioned it. The best 2.5 inch SATA II drive I've seen does 170 read/100 write. It's a 250G drive for around $600. Most are 150 or less R, 80 W.

I see your point, but it covers a very small share of the laptop market probably. Granted things always get cheaper bigger and faster, but Apple trying to cut price, power consumption, and cater to the majority of the market are the reasons I can think that they back graded the chip. I don't think the drives they use get near 150, my guess is they are in the 100 R 75 W range.

The majority of laptop owners will never upgrade I'd guess, do you plan on getting an SATA II drive to take advantage of that speed for example. Most people get laptops for convenience, not performance. If someone needs that much power on a daily basis they are probably going to opt for a tower where you can put bigger higher capacity drives that run faster than laptop drives and possibly connected to a PCI card capable of doing over 300.

You do have a nice machine and I'm just probably jealous BTW. smirk
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 03:22 AM

I can't believe the new 13" MBP's don't have separate headphone & line-in jacks. They use one port to do double duty. That makes about ZERO sense to me.
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Phosphor
I can't believe the new 13" MBP's don't have separate headphone & line-in jacks. They use one port to do double duty. That makes about ZERO sense to me.

While external speakers are necessary for iChat w/o feedback, they are also nice for a few other things. However, i have found very few needs for and Line-in, since the built-in microphone. Most other stuff can come in via usb or FW.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 12:14 PM

Thom Hogan, professional photographer, does NOT like the new SD card feature in the Macbook Pro.

Quote:
But the bad news: the ExpressCard slot is gone. In its place is a SD card reader. This is not a good trade, regardless of the fact that you can now carry an SD card as an emergency boot drive (yes, you read that right: repartition a standard SDHC card into GUID and you can make it bootable). But the problem is that the real pros that are buying the MacBook Pro need the slot for its bus access. It's what allows videographers to use extremely fast eSata drives, audiographers to use real digital input, and photographers to get decent external drive performance (for backups of images). There is no alternative available. "Use a Firewire card reader," says Apple. Apparently they don't come back to the hotel at the end of the day with several 16GB CompactFlash cards to download and to create backups of. If Steve Jobs had to sit in my room and chat with me while I waited for cards to transfer with the new machine and then to an external drive, there'd be a new model with the ExpressCard slot restored in days, I think.

Thing is, I thought us pro designers, illustrators, videographers, and photographers were relatively core to Apple's success. The message they're sending is "we don't design for you much any more." Great. The message we might send back is "we don't buy from you much any more, nor do we tend to recommend your product as much."

Couple such decisions with the now unswappable battery--what does Apple have against user-swappable batteries?--and the glossy-only screens, and the slower internal SATA bus (back to 1.5Gbs from 3, which slows any really fast SST drive you might want to use) and it seems we get as many steps backward as we do forward. But then, maybe Apple really wants to sell more to the masses now. Funny thing is, the masses want lower prices first and foremost. Us pros, we'll pay for the features we need.

I know, "just get a 17". Sorry, but the extra size and weight don't fit my bag needs or those of other pros. Personally, I don't need a new laptop yet (though I would have liked to address more memory), so I'll just skip another generation of update.

http://bythom.com/
Posted by: carp

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 01:04 PM

Interesting I thought the SD was for those huge camera guys ?

As for the non swappable battery , if I remember correctly at a keynote speech it was mentioned that non swappable saves on space and weight due to no "open / close" mechanism and the battery disconnect dohicky and those possible problems they may present .

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 02:28 PM

I've read speculations before that the reason Apple dropped FW from laptops was to get the pros into buying towers again as many were favoring laptops as their workstations for video/photo/audio editing instead of the Pro towers or the top of the line MBPs. This might be a similar thing actually with what this pro says and downgrading the bus to SATA I as I've already read about similar speculations. Besides, AFAIK SD isn't in use in all the professional cameras anyhow. Actually, I'm still wondering what are the actual benefits for pros that the SD card slot offers. Emergency Boot?

This guy has good and valid points IMO. I guess you have to do real world graphics and creative/video/audio/photography work to fully see those points. The one thing about my new unibody MB 13" I don't like that much is the glossy screen. You go on editing a photo on it, especially a black and white one and when the light hits it in a certain angle you go 'hey what's that!? OH, that's my ugly mug reflecting off the screen...great...' Trust me, you don't want that glare and gloss when editing photos or doing graphics.

Then again, when I was doing that in a low-light condition it wasn't so bad and I also now have the big screen to work on, and it is non-glare. Another thing is, the viewing angle on the MB screen could be better, but still, it is still better than many mainstream laptops and the resolution is quite good.

Oh and Reboot, I might be getting a larger HDD on this one down the road, as I got the 250GB model -- forget paying the premium on getting a larger one preinstalled, many resellers charge the same rate as Apple Store on it -- and I got an Iomega Prestige 320gigger portable drive (Seagate SATA II 2.5" 5400rpm drive inside, btw) to accompany and put the old 320gigger LaCie Porsche as the Time Machine drive -- USB is fine for both as long as you don't need to do huge data transfers, I had the Iomega now housing my mp3s in the monitor's hub and not a glitch on iTunes playback. And the upgrade HDD will definitely be a SATA II drive if I end up getting one. I got this baby to be a portable and mobile workstation you know. wink

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/16/09 03:33 PM

Quote:
I've read speculations before that the reason Apple dropped FW from laptops was to get the pros into buying towers again as many were favoring laptops as their workstations for video/photo/audio editing instead of the Pro towers or the top of the line MBPs.

I don't buy that at all - I mean sure they have laptops for traveling or on site work but a laptop will never replace a Tower for real crunching work and a pro would know that .

Sure he has some great points - but really where does it end trying to ""please everyone"" I mean if Apple kept the FW ports and ExpressCard slot some yahoo will bitch about there is no SD slot and on and on and on

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 10:35 AM

Yeah, personally I take them as speculations at this point, but I won't completely dismiss them either. Of course laptop will never completely replace a tower, but actually for a lot of tasks, aside from heavy-duty video editing ,meaning full-length tv shows and feature films for instance, a good laptop or even an iMac can get most things done rather well. Even our uni's Mac based video edit actually runs on an iMac instead of a MacPro. Obviously it is a bit slow on rendering, but editing video pieces of say 5 to 30 minutes it is probably more than adequate for the job.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Thom Hogan, professional photographer, does NOT like the new SD card feature in the Macbook Pro.
I ran across 2 people in the last week that use a verizon wireless express card in their MBP. The solution now will need to be a USB adapter for the express card, if they work on Macs, and not as clean of a solution either. No way to expand the 15" MBP now and like Thom says the 17" is too big for some to want to carry around.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 03:18 PM

Here in Finland all our telecom operators offer wireless internet connection (3G) on a USB stick or dongle. Maybe Verizon offers similar solutions stateside? I mean most in the market here are made in China by Huawei.

Don't know how well that would with a USB hub though, to save those few precious connectors, as it draws the power from the USB connection. Personally I don't have one, but that is the solution for online access for my mom and grandparents and for their needs it's very adequate.

One other solution could be using a cell phone as a modem either via USB cable or bluetooth, which unfortunately drains the phone battery quite fast.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 05:31 PM

My old work Dell was a USB wireless - to me express card wireless is sorta old tech ?

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
My old work Dell was a USB wireless - to me express card wireless is sorta old tech ?
Why do you say old tech? They are much faster than USB. Typical express speeds are 2.5 Gbit/s, where USB is 480 Mbit/s. The standard was just introduced in 2003 and products just started coming out with it and for it in 2006. The link below is pretty informative.

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/qa.jsp

The laptop add-on card ports have evolved like the tower's PCI slots. It usd to be CardBus on laptops, but it's currently PCI Express like in towers. Just because the plug in card concept has been around awhile doesn't mean it's old technology.

A wireless express card is just a much cleaner solution IMO. The speed doesn't matter for Internet of course, but the card is almost flush to the case, no USB connector to possibly break and no long device sticking out, the express slot is 3 inches into the machine, much more solid. You can put the machine into a case without having to remove the card, more convenient, pull the laptop out of the bag and go. You don't use a USB port (only 2 on the MBP) or its resources and power.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/17/09 10:55 PM

I have an eSATA expresscard with a 1Tb external drive on it. Backups etc. are obscenely fast. I'd be very sorry to lose that capability - but it'll be years before I can afford to upgrade, and by then I hope all laptops have an eSATA socket on them smile.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/18/09 11:56 AM

I meant by USB wireless at lease all the ones I seen are USB and USB thumb drives .

fwiw
I had a USB Clear Wire so called broadband was okay for internet but when it came to youTube you can forget that it just won't play or maybe was my airport/ Honolulu location ?

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/18/09 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
I had a USB Clear Wire so called broadband was okay for internet but when it came to youTube you can forget that it just won't play or maybe was my airport/ Honolulu location ?
It seems ClearWire is a broadband internet provider that uses cell towers to transmit. On a good day the consumer level speed is about 700 Kbps, business level is 2000 Kbps, as compared to for example my cable that's 8000 Kbps. If you had the 700 that would explain slow youtube stuff.

Edit - The ClearWire is all USB. I just like the solution where 90% of the device is inside of the machine rather than outside.
Posted by: zwei

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/22/09 02:23 PM

SATA problem solved

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/22/appl...terface-speeds/

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/22/09 07:27 PM

So they had the chip in there, but just hadn't perfected the technology for that architecture.

Thx.

Re: New MacBook Pros with SD card slotů - 06/22/09 11:50 PM

I guess they were in a rush the get the MBPs out before they had the tech ready fully. Weird MO to first launch the computers and keep totally quiet about the interface thing, not even a mention of a firmware upgrade available later.

Thanks zwei for the link.