DVD VHS recorder

Posted by: Anonymous

DVD VHS recorder - 04/11/09 08:49 AM

I've been interested in purchasing a DVD and VHS recorder. I was just wondering if it's possible to burn data to a DVD inside the DVD/VHS recorder from your Mac via USB or FireWire. If it's possible, could you direct me to where I find a model like this.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/11/09 11:55 AM

Why not just get an external burner for your mac?

Here are a few:

SAMSUNG USB2.0 Slim External 8X DVD Drive 8X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-ROM $64.99

There are more at http://www.newegg.com just do a search for external dvd burner.

Unless you want the VHS part too. I don't know if you can with those.

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/11/09 12:40 PM

Well I'd like the capability to dub from VHS etc. Is it possible to use DVD/VHS recorders and attach it to a Mac?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/11/09 01:44 PM

I haven't seen any with data inputs such as USB or FW.

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/11/09 03:20 PM

I was just curious about this, that's all. I'd like to have the ability to burn DVDs, back up data on DvDs and dub movies, etc on to DVDs from VHS all in one.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/12/09 06:34 AM

Found some on Amazon but no USB/Firewire.

Connections - Component Out, HDMI Out, Front DV Input, Front A/V Input (including S-Video), Rear S-Video Input/Output, Rear RCA-Video Input/Output, Rear Analog Audio Input/Output, Coax Output
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/12/09 08:03 AM

I've done this before.. what a pain. I routed the VHS to my TV... and then to my camcorder. Then import into iMovie and then burn with iDVD.

You could run the VHS straight to the camcorder.

If your camcorder supports pass through feature then no need to record on camcorder but just record on your Mac. The camcorder just reads the data and passes it through w/o recording it.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: DVD VHS recorder - 04/12/09 08:05 AM

There are devices out there will take the connections from a number of different devices and interpret it for/into your Mac. My way was better (for me) since I didn't have to buy anything and wasn't going do it often enough to warrant buying more hardware.