Upgrading the processor on my iMac

Posted by: Anonymous

Upgrading the processor on my iMac - 04/10/09 09:27 PM

Is it possible to upgrade the CPU on an old iMac? I currently have a Power PC 750 (2.2) with a CPU Speed of 350 MHz and a Bus Speed 100 MHz. Would like to get the CPU Speed to 400 Mhz. Is this possible?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Upgrading the processor on my iMac - 04/10/09 09:52 PM

Other than adding RAM, 1G is max, and a bigger hard drive, 128 G max, those machines are not hardware upgradeable in any way.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Upgrading the processor on my iMac - 04/11/09 05:44 AM

Besides, the difference between a 350 MHz G3 and the 400 MHz G3 is nearly negligible.

Re: Upgrading the processor on my iMac - 04/11/09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Other than adding RAM, 1G is max, and a bigger hard drive, 128 G max, those machines are not hardware upgradeable in any way.

If I were to put in a bigger hard drive, how would I do that? How would I get the data on the existing hard driver to the other drive? What's the process?

Re: Upgrading the processor on my iMac - 04/11/09 08:28 AM

You would need to put the drive into an external case, or into another machine and go target disk mode or network like we discussed that other thread.

Or transfer the data from the machine first to another machine.

What data do you want on the new drive. If you want to copy the operating system you'd have to use and external case or target disk mode to clone it back to the new drive.

Installing a 2nd drive - 05/03/09 10:46 AM

Is it possible to put in a 2nd hard drive in an iMac? I have this model.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_350.html

Re: Installing a 2nd drive - 05/03/09 11:05 AM

No.

Do you read my replies to you?

You hurt my feelings. cry wink

Re: Installing a 2nd drive - 05/03/09 11:12 AM

Oops sorry about that. Just thought I'd try and see if I could do that.