*&#@!

Posted by: MacBozo

*&#@! - 11/11/08 01:20 PM

The fan on my G4's PS began to fail again, so I changed out the PS - finally. Problem is no power up. There is power to the PS since I have power to my monitor which is plugged into the outlet on the PS. Faulty PS? Will resetting the PMU help? Where is that located?

Re: *&#@! - 11/11/08 02:19 PM

Crap! Crap! Crap! Put the old PS back in and now I get a KP on start up. Is my trusty G4 dead? The one time that text came up, it stated something about initial machine test failed.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: *&#@! - 11/11/08 02:33 PM

PMU should be next to the battery.

Re: *&#@! - 11/11/08 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Crap! Crap! Crap! Put the old PS back in and now I get a KP on start up. Is my trusty G4 dead?
The PS shouldn't make it KP usually, especially if it didn't before you took it out.

I thought that was it. Didn't help.

See my edit.

Follow up - 11/11/08 07:38 PM

Following up, I had to go to work, so any troubleshooting had to go on hold for the evening. Short term outlook is for me to harvest the HD and put it into the extra USB 2.0 enclosure (it was FW/USB, but the FW bridge died) that I have and connect it to the Mini so I can get at my files. I'd also have to move one of the printers to the Mini (my G4 was the print server). Long term outlook is to keep checking the on line Apple Store for refurb Minis or wait until MW to see if there is a Mini refresh/update. I'm in mourning due to the death in the family.

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 07:58 PM

It had to be something in the transition, it was working before. Do you have a take apart manual to check the new PS? Can you send it back if it's dead?

As far as the current KP, how did you kick start it last time? Something about getting its guts ripped out it doesn't like it seems. Just a bad connection thing maybe? Reseat the processor card and all others too.

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 08:06 PM

Double checked all of that. The KP is immediate each time. It has already KP'd when the monitor comes up.

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 08:20 PM

Got the original processor card?

Pull all but one RAM chip.

Try the old video card.

I know, you did all that already. wink

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Got the original processor card?

Pull all but one RAM chip.

Try the old video card.

I know, you did all that already. wink

1. Yes

2. RAM was good before the PS switch out.

3. Don't think that is the problem.

The KP is immediate, so I don't think it is even getting to the other checks. The one time I saw text it was something like "initial machine check failed." I really think it is DOA.

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:01 PM

RAM can go bad.

Everything powers up within split seconds of each other, it could be any component, and if it's getting a KP it's loading the kernel at least, so I believe it's made it to reading the HD. What does it do if you disconnect the HD's? A flashing question mark at least?

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:03 PM

I'll have to check all of this out much later today. If I can get it to repeat the test string, I'll post it here.

(I'd rather lobby for a new computer) wink

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:09 PM

What was the original processor speed of that machine?

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:11 PM

450. It won't run Leopard very well. It is past time for an upgrade. The other alternative is to buy a refurbed MacBook and go mobile.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:44 PM

man, you have all sorts of hurt going on in your life right now. i sure hope things turn around for you asap!

Re: Follow up - 11/11/08 09:49 PM

It's not insurmountable. Just takes a great deal of patience and good humor. Material things, in the great scheme, are not important. Inconvenience? Yes, but not devastating. smile

KP text - 11/12/08 07:08 AM

Alright, here is the KP text (first line, at least):

Quote:
panic (cpu 0 caller 0X000AED84): "Uncorrectable machine check: pc = 000000000089BA20, msr = 0000000000149030, dsisr = 42000000, dar = 000000002CAA4200\n" "

Looks like it is the CPU that has gone bad/failed. I don't think that this machine is really worth throwing more money at, though. Considering options.

Re: KP text - 11/12/08 12:28 PM

OK. I got my HD installed into the enclosure and now have access to my files via the Mini. Depending on whether or not I buy a replacement machine soon, I'll move the Brother laser printer out here to the Mini so we can print if needed.

Re: KP text - 11/12/08 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
OK. I got my HD installed into the enclosure and now have access to my files via the Mini. Depending on whether or not I buy a replacement machine soon, I'll move the Brother laser printer out here to the Mini so we can print if needed.
It is truly a sad day when the Frankenstein monster dies. Sniff.

Re: KP text - 11/13/08 03:47 AM

Couldn't save it this time. frown

Flatline
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: KP text - 11/13/08 07:14 AM

My condolences.