New MacBooks

Posted by: MacBozo

New MacBooks - 10/14/08 11:20 AM

Live from the Apple Event: new notebooks<br><br>Current white MacBook selling at $999. My wife would shoot me!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 11:32 AM

They are sweet looking....would love to have one myself.<br><br>Is that new display for laptops only??<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 11:47 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>1:40 pm ET: New 24-inch Cinema Display: LED-backlit, includes stereo speakers, built-in iSight and mic, three USB ports. Ships for $899 in November.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 12:01 PM

No Firewire on the new 13.3" MacBook and only FW800 on the new Pro.<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 12:36 PM

Price decrease on refurbs, too!<br><br><br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 12:44 PM

<br>System Requirements<br><br> * MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with Mini DisplayPort<br><br><br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: carp

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 12:54 PM

Cool - like to see the web cast<br><br>
Posted by: cesrivas

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 01:09 PM

seems that the new displays are *new* laptop only because of the video port. <br><br>the display is to replace the docking station. Cool, I like the idea. <br><br>would attached drives will work if they are connected to the display? as in time machine?<br><br>----<br>:) "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posted by: margadagio

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 01:09 PM

No Firewire 400? Not impressed. <br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 01:41 PM

You can get adapters. <br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 01:55 PM

Not an absolute deal breaker for me, but I do wonder why they dropped it. Makes the refurbs look more desirable to me, but I can't justify buying anything until I get full-time employment. <br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 02:05 PM

No Firewire period on the new Macbook, but the Macbook pros have FW800, which I think is backwards compatible.<br><br>I think that you will start to see less and less firewire 400 on macs. It's like seeing USB1 alongside USB2, why? USB2 is a lot better/faster. Same with FW800.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 02:06 PM

They dropped it because the PC world did not adopt it even if cameras and printers , external HDs picked it up . MS pulled strings that USB 2.0 was better<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 02:14 PM

So, with the new MB, you don't have the option of using FW Target mode and no Migration Assistant. IIRC, doesn't FW800 use a different connector than FW400?<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 02:34 PM

doesn't FW800 use a different connector than FW400?<br><br>Yes.<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: starmillway

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 02:36 PM

<br>So, with the new MB, you don't have the option of using FW Target mode and no Migration Assistant. IIRC, doesn't FW800 use a different connector than FW400?<br>-*-*-*-*-<br><br><br>That's interesting. So I wonder what the answer to that is?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 03:08 PM

You can get FW400/FW800 cables, for plugging FW800 external HDDs into a FW400 port, for example. So you can use it the other way round too, and run FW400 peripherals in a FW800 port on a mac.<br><br>Meanwhile, USB 3 is coming along at 4.8Gbits/s...<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Mike

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 03:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No Firewire period on the new Macbook,...<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Ouch! Not good!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 03:22 PM

Sonnet FW800/400 adapter - $15.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 03:40 PM

You can use Migration Assistant with USB drives. Migration Assistant works from either a clone or a Time Machine backup.<br><br>I'm not happy about no firewire though, I have used firewire target disk mode many times to fix a bad installation. I wonder if Apple will intoduce the same capabilities with USB, a USB target disk mode.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 03:48 PM

I like Sonnett a lot, good products and support, but they used a B&W G3 to use as the model with a FW 800 card? I think that would machine would implode with data coming in that fast.<br><br>Unless it had a Sonnett G4 processor upgrade card I guess. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 04:51 PM

I wonder if Apple will intoduce the same capabilities with USB, a USB target disk mode.<br><br>That's my thinking. 10.6 maybe?<br><br>
Posted by: cesrivas

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 05:17 PM

also, I was wishing for a GPS chipset. I would be cool to have CoreLocation in every laptop.... maybe for the next gen laptops.<br><br>----<br>:) "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 05:37 PM

Yes, and so now the MacBook Pro doesn't have FW400, no direct DVI and no modem. Yeah, I know, modems are history but not for everybody. Apple's MacBook Pro's web pages say if there's a connector you need...it's there. Yeah, with add on adapters. Progress is good but the connectors available seems like it's going backward. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 06:10 PM

GPS chipset ? ? maybe via software donkey you just plug in your iPhone 3G and there ya go<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 06:16 PM

[color:blue]Yeah, I know, modems are history but not for everybody.</font color=blue><br><br>I dunno with Verizon and just about anybody coming out with external thumb drive size 3G speed modems whats the point to build them in anymore ?<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 08:11 PM

Mainly for people who need to fax documents directly. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: New MacBooks - 10/14/08 08:29 PM

You can also use Migration Assistant over LAN--preferably wired (for the sake of speed).<br><br>Re DisplayPort: Jobs said they will be using that connection on all their products. The MacBooks are just the first. (And some PCs use it already apparently--but not in "mini" form?)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 12:16 AM

Ay, the new 24" display has a DisplayPort connector. Wave of the future, apparently. Funny - I'm having trouble with my eyes reading stuff for my college course and so on on my 15" MBP, and I've been wondering whether to (a) get a large display, or (b) trade up to an iMac (I'm eligible for a student discount at the moment). If they're going to update the iMacs with the new screens too, maybe I'll wait a bit . But I'm curious to see how much the new 24" display will cost in the UK.<br><br>Oh, and I'm sure that Apple have a replacement for target f/w mode for migration etc., but it does mean that everyone out there whose external HDDs are f/w only are going to have to slap in an expresscard adaptor (and that will probably not be bootable) or get a new drive enclosure or a new drive if they want bootable backup clones.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by padmavyuha on 10/15/08 00:34 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 09:31 AM

The regular MacBooks don't have ExpressCard--but luckily the MBPs have both that and Firewire still. (FW800 needing an adapter that's not in the box.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 09:34 AM

"... but they used a B&W G3 to use as the model with a FW 800 card?"<br><br>I too did a double-take when first looking at the image! <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 10:27 AM

What no Firewire !<br>No wonder they call it a Brick.<br>How could I use iTunes with my Firewire iPod ?<br>I would need another Brick to make things work like a Zune .<br>Apple needs to go back to the drawing board and rethink the true meaning of a mac.<br>If it has no Firewire it's not a mac<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 03:09 PM

things change<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 03:11 PM

Ħu&#633;od &#387;u&#305;&#607;&#633;ns o&#647; &#670;&#596;&#592;q o&#387; &#729;u&#592;&#623; p&#1503;o &#596;&#305;&#647;&#477;&#613;&#647;&#592;d no&#654; '&#477;&#607;&#305;&#1503; &#387;u&#305;&#670;&#596;n&#607; &#592; &#647;&#477;&#387;<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 04:29 PM

&#633;&#477;dd&#592;us &#633;&#477;dd&#305;&#613;&#653; no&#654;'no&#654; &#477;&#633;&#305;&#653;&#477;&#633;&#305;&#607;<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 04:31 PM

And some changes are F'ed Up needless to say<br><br>

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 05:32 PM

I don't have an iPod but I'd have to say for those users, this is pretty f'd up. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: New MacBooks - 10/15/08 09:59 PM

You have to go back pretty far to find Firewire-only iPods. Those clinging to pre-dock-connector iPods would be better served by the new $999 iBook config (now with SuperDrive). Still white, but that also means still having Firewire.<br><br>I haven't used FW400 in years. I used to use FW800 for backups, but mainly I do that wirelessly now. FW is not dead, but nor is it widely necessary to low/mid-range laptop consumers. <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: New MacBooks - 10/16/08 06:30 PM

I have yet to use FW800. I take it target disk mode will work with FW800. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: New MacBooks - 10/16/08 07:36 PM

Yes, target mode works with FW800--or with an adapter that makes 800 into 400.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

FWIW - 10/17/08 09:24 AM

Migration Assistant also works via ethernet.<br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

Re: New MacBooks - 10/17/08 09:53 AM

<br>[color:blue]I haven't used FW400 in years. I used to use FW800 for backups, but mainly I do that wirelessly now.</font color=blue><br><br>That is okay for day-to-day backups, but with video, you need a wired solution, and for me that means eSATA.<br>It is neat, to watch a 25GB file zip by in 7 minutes, which translates into an honest 60MB/sec! There are plenty of USB/eSATA drives on the market now. My regular sneaker-net drive is a WD 2TB RAID-0 external box, which was only around $300. <br><br>Apple's connectivity policies - including burn formats - leave something to be desired.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>"Woe the nation, which has no heros. ...... Blessed the one, which needs none!" (Bertold Brecht)
Posted by: FSM

Re: New MacBooks - 12/02/08 08:50 PM

good news / bad news . . . this email arrived around lunch today from a student worker in our university IT department:
Quote:

I have a new Macbook here for you that is ready to be delivered. I am wondering when the best time would be for me to come and drop this off for you. My hours are below.

the hours indicate he isn't available until Thursday. doh. i suppose that's better than a later alternative . . .

Re: New MacBooks - 12/04/08 12:03 PM

i finally have it.

very nice. and, i used it for about 20 minutes before i remember that there is not a button, per se, on the trackpad.

Re: New MacBooks - 12/10/08 07:04 PM

okay, i don't like the trackpad after all. i am used to leaving my thumb on the button while my finger uses the trackpad. well, now that "button" is part of the trackpad and the cursor doesn't know what to do when i leave my thumb on the button area. it makes the cursor a bit erratic. this thing is forcing me to have better posture darn it.

otherwise, i already think this is the best laptop since the 12" powerbook.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: New MacBooks - 12/10/08 07:17 PM

I tried the no button trackpad for about twenty minutes and could see that it was going to be a brain retrain problem. I could tell it was easier but my thumbs kept wanting the button.

Tell us how you feel after a week of using it. I could do with some better posture but I am usually on a couch when I use a laptop.

Re: New MacBooks - 01/06/09 07:52 AM

okay, i am fully used to it and it's just fine.

however, today was my first day back in the office since last summer. i plugged my Macbook into the second monitor i have here -- worked just swell. i added the keyboard and mouse and they worked just fine. i then went to add my cool Apple speakers i originally bought with my old Quicksilver. not happening. i forget these Macbooks don't have firewire. so my speakers have finally met the end of their life cycle. it's not worth it for me to try and buy a work around solution for 4 hours in the office a week.