Why do ants like my laptops?

Posted by: Nagromme

Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 09:06 AM

I work on a desk isolated in the middle of a room and up on legs, with no vents overhead. A room in which I NEVER see ants. Except on my MacBook Air! I see them all the time! (The only other places I see ants here is in other rooms, near water: kitchen sink and bathroom sink. And in the salt shaker--they go there to die all the time. I NEVER see ants on food though even when I forget and leave food on a counter.)<br><br>Then the other day I set up my PowerBook G4 on a shelf 12 feet away, and noticed it gets ants too!<br><br>It's not like they need to seek heat: it's summer for Pete's sake!<br><br>What gives? All I need is ants dying by the dozen inside my laptop vents.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 09:43 AM

Apples are sweet? <br><br>Sorry, but I don't have an answer to that one.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 10:20 AM

Is that old game Sim Ant on your HD ? <br><br>mmmmm....<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 10:20 AM

They like Cheetos crumbs? <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 10:27 AM

<OZ class="The Great and Terrible> NO FOOD OR DRINK ON THE COMPUTER DESK. </OZ><br><br>I've lost friends, jobs and marriages over it, but nobody takes food near the machines And my 2-year old 24" LCD is still spotless as a result.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 10:28 AM

I had a similar problem both in Costa Rica and in Hawaii. I made a post at MacCentral at the time when I was in CR. Folks laughed at me but it was a problem.<br><br>Beware of the pesky things. An ant infestation fried one of carp's Mac Minis. <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 01:49 PM

maybe they like getting a charge ? <br><br><br><br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 02:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And my 2-year old 24" LCD is still spotless as a result.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Maybe it's dense day, I don't get it, as a result of what?<br><br>Earth humor escapes me sometimes. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 02:13 PM

Ants - Cheetos crumbs. <br><br>You sure that's not a "senior moment?" <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/12/08 08:29 PM

Its called low electrical harmonics - something like that<br><br>Anyway some electrical devices give off a electrical frequency that the ants pick up in their antennas and then follow it back to the device . The mystery is why the ants die in the device and what frequency the ants are attracted too ? ?<br><br>One of my Mac Minis died from an ant invasion - untold numbers of Smoke Detectors "sensor" that have failed due to dead ants.<br><br>I suspect even when your Mac Air is off and on the shelve there is a ROM chip thats still on or something like that.<br><br>
Posted by: Nana

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 10:05 AM

If you have an ant infestation that bad it's either time for you to move, hire an exterminator or keep a cleaner house.<br>Ants inside a salt shaker....sheesh!!!!!<br><br>"I ain't scared of you muthafukaz!".....Bernie Mac R.I.P. 2008
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 10:25 AM

Saw this in a Google search and it agrees somewhat with Carp:<br><br>Many small ants mistake the EM field of electrical devices as something living. Leave it off for awhile and set out ant traps around your computer desk. Ideally you want to leave the computer completely off when it is unattended.<br>posted by JJ86 at 10:16 AM on September 5, 2006<br><br>Ant bait traps for 24 hours rid me of ants anytime I get them [not often].<br><br>Here are the Google results:<br><br>http://tinyurl.com/6hqeof<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 12:07 PM

Those are not ants they are Microsoft Nanomachines gathering information for the next Windows OS.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 12:29 PM

Where's Bukk when you need him? <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Swatcat

My Sweetie - 08/13/08 12:38 PM

Bukk's story March 15 2002 <br><br>Here's the story: So Spring has begun to sprung, and with the daffydils and toolips in the yard have arisen ants in the kitchen. Not lots of ants, mind you, but enough to be troublesome and a little worrying.<br><br>I think, get some ant traps, see what happens.<br><br>My sweetie thinks, must . . . hunt . . . ants . . . stalk . . . kill . . . Something like that, anyway. She starts on this carefully managed bombing campaign, almost U.S.-in-Afghanistan-like. She tracks the ants to their point of entry, places ant hotels in strategic locations, and watches. Always watches.<br><br>The first batch of natural and organic traps is ineffective. The ants ignore them in droves. My thinking is, okay, call the exterminator. But her thinking is, stalk . . . kill . . . crush . . . destroy . . . I catch her watching the ants for ever longer periods of time. Minutes. Tens of minutes. Hours. I'm getting worried.<br><br>"Sweetie, what are you doing?"<br><br>"Watching the ants."<br><br>"But, . . . why?"<br><br>"You have to learn how they think -- that way you can strike with the greatest effectiveness!"<br><br>Learn how ants think. Hmmm. "Sweetie, ants don't have brains. They can't think."<br><br>"Yes they do have brains!" She turns to my daughter, standing close by. "Don't they have brains?!"<br><br>Now, my daughter is very smart, but she wouldn't be your first choice when looking for someone to clarify a point on ant neuro-physiology. So, naturally I'm surprised when she says, "They don't have brains, per se, but they do have a nerve cluster that manages motor function and a variety of instinctive behaviors." (Me, thinking: Wha-?)<br><br>"See!" my sweetie cries out. "That's like a brain!" She's back to her stalking.<br><br>Days pass. She raises the weapons ante, bringing home ant traps of virtual nukular capacity. Sure enough, the ants are all over them like flies on potato salad. Within a day or two, the infestation has declined precipitously.<br><br>I am relieved. Perhaps the horror is over.<br><br>But, . . . no. Some ants remain. Not many, to be sure. But a few.<br><br>Must . . . kill . . . ants . . .<br><br>Last night I run my daughter over to a friend's, and upon my return discover my sweetie AND my young son staring intently an upturned glass on the kitchen counter. Inside the glass is a nukular ant trap and five scurrying ants.<br><br>"We trapped 'em," my sweetie says breathlessly.<br><br>"Um, . . . okay?" I reply, hesitant, anxious.<br><br>"Look, Daddy!" my tike says. "Aren't they creepy?!" He is delighted.<br><br>"What's the plan here?" I wonder aloud.<br><br>"Well," my sweetie says, "we're going to wait until they eat the poison, then we're going to release them and track them back to their lair. Once we find it, we smash 'em!" She continues to stare at the glass. The ants are not cooperating. They're not eating the ant poison. But my sweetie remains diligent. Ever diligent.<br><br>"We must see this through," she mutters, "to the end!"<br><br>Please, someone tell me, what's wrong with my sweetie?!<br><br><br><br>

Re: My Sweetie - 08/13/08 02:00 PM

That was/is one of the most funny posts I've ever read. I'll keep this on file since my "sweetie" also has an obsession with ants. <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: My Sweetie - 08/13/08 02:40 PM

Thanks, swatty. I love that story!<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: droogie

Re: You can't figure that one out? - 08/13/08 06:17 PM

Why do ants like my laptops?<br><br>You obviously don't wash your hands... it's all of that residual "stroyent" left on your hands/fingers being deposited onto your laptop(s)! DUH!!! <br><br>droogs <br><br>

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 07:59 PM

Somehow only half my post made it. (How?) Anyway--the missing first line was to the effect that NOBODY is allowed to eat or drink near my Macs--thus keeping my screens like new instead of the usual splatter effect.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 08:00 PM

Interesting. If it gets bad enough I'll have to leave my Mac off a while! Meanwhile, ant traps may be called for.<br><br>Now... what the heck do they want with the salt shakers???<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: carp

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/13/08 10:25 PM

Not sure why the ants like salt shakers since it kills them and is a great ant deterrent as well , not to mention for other garden pest like slugs.<br><br>Anyway - Fight the Ants or change your life style and move out too. Them ants will move to something else even if you turn off your Macs , the fridge , pantry , where ever they find attractive. Sounds like you have a new "colony" of ants with a different Queen<br><br>IMO<br><br>1 - Traps don't work well , tends to catch the dumb ants "workers"<br><br>2 - Kill any stray ant <-- thats the ant colony "scout" smart ant so to speak . This ant scout reports back to the colony with directions of where to go for food<br><br>3 - Insecticides <-- I know , I know not very enviro safe let alone child safe either -- still the most effective . Find one thats active for 3 to 6 months and never use the same brand twice in a row , so your going to need to buy 2 different brands of insecticide , then alternate between both brands.<br><br>4 - Be a Military General so to speak , locate points of enemy ant insertion . Find areas where ants are entering your home ? Doors and windows yada yada<br><br>Bottom Line;<br><br>Your Mac electrical harmonics or EM , humm Jobs reality distortion field seems to be attracting your particular colony of ants <-- fight back with every weapon you can get<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/14/08 08:42 PM

Good tips.<br><br>I think the weather is my best ally: I've lived here for 4 summers, and these same ants come out every summer, but only for a few weeks. I fear there is NO beating them--they live in the walls, and my building is gargantuan so fighting them in my one little corner is probably futile. But there aren't that many of them--I see 3 or 4 a day. It's just odd the places they always go!<br><br>And they never go for food. Only water and expensive electronics. (Which I myself would choose too, if I could only have two of those three needs.)<br><br>Hopefully as the seasons change they'll go away as usual. If not, I'll have to change my lifestyle. (Although I'm fairly committed to heterosexuality.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Why do ants like my laptops? - 08/15/08 05:25 AM

Only "fairly committed"??? LOL<br><br>[image][/image]

Update - 09/16/08 10:32 AM

Update:<br><br>* MacBook Air: keys aren't working as well. Ants smashed inside, I am betting. I am not amused.<br><br>* PowerBook G4: turned off for a week AND unplugged. Full shutdown, no battery charge left even. I looked at it today and it had ants crawling on it!<br><br>So it's not heat or anything electrical. Nor crumbs: I don't eat at my machines, and my kitchen has plenty of crumbs, which the ants ignore. They only like computers and sinks/tubs. And light switches/outlets--probably because they live in the walls.<br><br>* iPhone: the ants have come for that as well. I caught one headed for the headphone jack. I keep it in the middle of a mesh shelf now, but that won't stop ants.<br><br>I wish I knew where to put traps... I always see them ON or near the computer, but never on the way there. And as I mentioned, this is a desk sitting up on complex casters, in the middle of a carpeted room, with no vents overhead! I look at the power cord and ceiling a lot to see if I can catch ants arriving by those routes but I never do. It's like they teleport onto my desk. Or maybe are living in my Air and don't HAVE to arrive from anywhere....<br><br>It's about 2 to 6 ants per day, 1 or 2 at a time, on each machine. Not swarms, but still a constant problem and sometimes they slip away under the keys or into the vents before I can catch them.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Update - 09/16/08 10:42 AM

Apparently, ants hate the smell of mint - if you grow mint plants and place some around your mac etc., it will fend them off (also peppermint oil smeared where they try to come into the house will deter them).<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: Update - 09/16/08 10:45 AM

Interesting. I need more plants anyway.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Update - 09/16/08 11:52 AM

It takes a lot of patience and attention span to track ant movements. Try to follow one as it leaves your computer and see where it goes. It could take hours, but you will find their entry point. Of course, everyone else will think you've gone over the edge. <br><br>

Re: Update - 09/16/08 12:04 PM

Ah, if only they WOULD leave my computer <br><br>I once used time-lapse photography (an ability of my little Pentax digital) to locate an infestation.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Update - 09/16/08 08:12 PM

I'm pretty certain their entry point is every light switch and outlet in my apartment--except, thankfully, in my bedroom.<br><br>But there's no direct way from there to my computers: I have a long cord to a UPS to another long cord to a power strip into which my Mac's own power cords are plugged. And I never see ants on any of those cords. Maybe they burrow through the carpet and make a dash for it!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net