2 issues...

Posted by: NucleusG4

2 issues... - 07/19/08 07:41 PM

1st:<br>I did a firmware update to my AEB yesterday and now I can't get any response from CoD2 master server. Can anyone check if CoD 2 server is down. I can access internet as usual. MP quad 2.6 <br> <br>2nd item:<br>Fairly new MBP 15" has really looong start up times. 5 minutes or more. Yesterday I noticed there was a slowdown performance wise... then I noticed that I had no room left... the drive was full. I booted from MP and ran Drive Genius and defragged then repaired perms.<br><br>Still... looong start up times... 5+ minutes. Even in safe mode.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 05:33 AM

Sorry - can't help with the CoD2 issue - not installed on my iMac.<br><br>Did you "relieve" the MBP of a lot of data? Until you do, and THEN check the directories and permissions, it will remain slow. Did you check the Login Items of your Administrator's account for any unexpected startup items?<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 05:38 AM

I can recommend an app called Whatsize, which will scan your volume and show you where the largest folders and files reside. It's very useful for tracking down unexpected huge video caches and stuff like that. If there's less than around 20% free space on your volume, it's too full and the system and volume data itself will keep getting fragmented, which slows things down a lot. Get rid of some files, then run a cleanup and defrag.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 08:17 AM

Thanks guys... I did remove some files and forgot to post that.<br><br>According to Sys Profiler I have a drive with 111.79 capacity and 26.26 available. And it's been defragged and permed.<br><br><br>Hmmm....<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 10:56 AM

If you unplug the Ethernet cable does the MBP boot up faster? If it's on Airport, turn the Aiport off too and try a reboot.<br><br>For the disappearing disk space, one guess, combined with the slow startup, maybe some log file is ballooning due to the hung process. Look in the Console app under /Library/Logs - Hang Reporter. See anything reoccurring or similar or odd? If Console seems to hang when trying to open one it may be because it's too big.<br><br>If you navigate to /Library/Logs in the Finder you can see what size the hang logs are. <br><br>Also in the Go menu's "Go to Folder" type in /var/log/ Is there any huge log file in there?<br><br>Start up in verbose mode, Command-V at startup. You may be able to see verbosely where it's hanging. The hung process will appear when it hangs, or near when it hangs, or it may spit a line or so out right after the hang.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 11:02 AM

No Ethernet cable at the m oment.. I will try no Airport next. Te disk space isn't disappearing... I just had used it up! <br><br>As I said though... now I have over 20% space available.<br><br>I'm also trying a different user.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 11:12 AM

I meant to ask. What did you use to defrag it? Defragging in X is a special creature. It speeds up system processes if certain files are in certain places, some system parts need to be near the center for faster access, so if it's done wrong it slows down general speed. I don't know if it would slow it enough for a 5 minute boot, but I figure you did the defrag because of the slow start. Or do you defrag just to be maintenance happy. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: 2 issues... - 07/20/08 11:15 AM

I see, try the hang reporter and verbose mode too then.<br><br>Edit - on second thought a large log may still lead to where a hang is, might still want to poke around in there.<br><br>Alec, don't say anything gutter boy. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reboot on 07/20/08 11:18 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 04:58 AM

Doesn't X do a hardware check during startup? Are we looking in the wrong place?<br><br>

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 05:16 AM

You said "large log" and "poke around in there". heh heh heh <br><br>- alec -

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 05:32 AM

Looking for logs in all the wrong places? <br><br>It checks for a good logic board and CPU and RAM but it's behind the scenes. After start up you can check the Console for error messages but in verbose mode you can usually see exactly where it's hanging without having to go through the logs.<br><br>Not sure if that answers it.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 07:08 AM

The reason I mentioned hardware issues was, when my G4 was having issues with the PS cooling fan, it was taking a long time to boot. Once the fan began running normally again, it reverted to normal boot times. I guess it was running a bit on the hot side for a while. Which reminds me, I still need to swap out the PS because it still is a little on the noisy side - just more than it used to be.<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 11:24 AM

Log!<br><br>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHtKarae2Q<br><br>PS I know what to blame when my HD fills up: a game log in App Support. UT2004, to be specific, with certain mods or weapons running.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: 2 issues... - 07/21/08 01:31 PM

"Log" - what a hoot. ALLE KINDER LIEBEN KLOTZ!!!! - almost as funny in German.<br><br>- alec -