Missing hard drive

Posted by: OSXaddict

Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:04 PM

During the 10.5.4 download, I was moving a movie from the main HD to my other internal when I got a "you disconnected a device without ejecting it" type of warning, which usually means someone pulled out the USB cable for an external device. But there was nothing connected!<br><br>After restarting, my 2nd internal HD is no longer on the desktop and can't be found. Disk Utility doesn't help, and DiskWarrior off of my main HD locks up. Just burned a CD of Diskwarrior...so here's hoping that works!<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Clark

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:16 PM

I've had to let DiskWarrior run for a couple hours before it starts to work.<br>I'm not saying that will happen in your case but sometimes patience with DW is a must.<br><br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:39 PM

Well, diskwarrior finally recognized it. Says that the directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36, 2268). And I get the spinning beach ball.<br><br>So what does that mean? Is there something out there that I can use to get into the HD to pull off the data on it?<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Is there something out there that I can use to get into the HD to pull off the data on it?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Probably not easily or cheaply, John. Hope you had backups.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:54 PM

Well, I don't know what's going on here. Disk Utility won't even pull up any HD's, not even the one I'm currently booted off of. <br><br>I tried installing Final Cut Express 4 upgrade today and there is nothing in the destination section...can't select a HD to install on.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:55 PM

Will the hard drive mount at all? Will Disk Utility mount it?<br><br>I've used Data Rescue to successfully recover deleted files. Maybe it will help you too. <br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:56 PM

nope to both mount questions.<br><br>Data Rescue eh? I'll have to see if I can find that.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 02:59 PM

This is what I got with Disk Utility finally:<br><br><br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:01 PM

In Disk Warrior, if you hold down the option key, the bottom right button changes to "Scavenge". Maybe that can recover files for you.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:13 PM

I've never seen that message before. Sounds (looks) like the drive is toast. I'd try to use the Scavenge option from DW - it will take a while providing the drive even spins up anymore.<br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:15 PM

You are looking at the LAST Western Digital drive that I ever buy. Seagate all the way for me.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:15 PM

If there is trouble "seeing" both (either) drives, I'd check the cable connections and the cable itself for faults.<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:17 PM

Looks like you gots a dead HD. If there was anything critical on it you'll need to send it to a place like Disk Savers where they will take the platters out and recover the data off them.<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:32 PM

I know this sounds like it's coming from left field but, before you do anything drastic like toss the drive, you might try popping it in to the freezer.<br><br>One of my PC-using friends suggested that once. I found a number of similar solutions on Google.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Bill

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 03:45 PM

Have you tried restarting in "safe" mode yet?<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 04:25 PM

I would check cabling, and I'd also reset the NVRAM--including the drastic measure of leaving the machine unplugged for 24 hours. For whatever reason, that made my parents' firewire port work again after nothing else made a difference.<br><br>I don't know if Disk Utiliity's SMART function can ever be wrong or not. Maybe a bad connection or other issue would never look like a SMART problem, in which case, if that's what it says then your drive is probably history. But since I don't know, I'd still try for another solution.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 05:23 PM

Nothing critical, but all of our purchased iTMS songs are on there. Hate to lose all that.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 05:27 PM

No, but if I do, then what?<br><br><br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 06:03 PM

Are all of your iTMS songs on an iPod too? ...if so ..you can delete the old references out of the library and when you connect the iPod it will say that you have purchased songs on your iPod that are NOT in your library and it will ask to transfer them over.<br><br>There are other third party apps that you can use to get songs off of your iPod back onto your HD.<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 06:13 PM

Those buttons are grayed out, even if I hold down the Option key.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 07:04 PM

"No, but if I do, then what?"<br><br><br>When you boot to safe mode OS X repairs some things. It's possible Disk Utility would then mount the drive.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 08:44 PM

The buttons were clickable before though, right? Maybe you need to reboot, seriously. Sometimes it needs to load the driver again or something for programs to be able access it. Doesn't always work of course, but it has for me on a few occasions.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 08:52 PM

Just an FYI Safe Mode first runs Disk Utility on the boot drive only, if it can't fix the boot drive after 2 attempts it will shut the computer down. It turns off all non-Apple startup items and extensions, it turns off all log in items, and clears Font caches.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/02/08 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info Reboot.<br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 03:37 AM

No, they weren't clickable before. <br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 03:43 AM

No, not all, but there is several songs on it. <br><br>What "old references" are you talking about? I want to make sure I delete the right thing.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 04:00 AM

After running all night by itself, this is what Data Rescue II shows me:<br><br><br><br><br><br>Which is the same thing I saw before I went to bed. crap.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 06:56 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>you can delete the old references out of the library and when you connect the iPod it will say that you have purchased songs on your iPod that are NOT in your library and it will ask to transfer them over.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Cool, thanks for that info, didn't know that.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 07:04 AM

Looking back I hope I didn't sound like a smart ass, I was in a hurry and didn't go into much detail.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 07:05 AM

Re: grey buttons. I was just wonderiong how you got DiskWarrior to give the error if it didn't start checking the disk after you clicked the Rebuild button.<br><br>Re: DataRescue running all night, doesn't look good.<br><br>By references I believe Zach means songs, podcasts, video, etc.<br><br>Zach trying to act all technical and stuff. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 07:12 AM

I didn't check anything. that's what finally came up with DW after I let it run for awhile.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 07:49 AM

If you try to play a song and it errors out saying the file can't be found ...just delete that song from iTunes. I think you either get an X next to the song name ..or it turns red or something. <br><br>I found out it asks to copy things back after I deleted some crappy free songs I downloaded. I didn't want them anymore, but when I plugged my iPod back in it realized it still had them on there and wanted to know if they should be copied back to the Mac. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 09:11 AM

Ah ok, I can do that easily enough. I thought you meant go into the iTunes folder or prefs or wherever.<br><br>I wonder if I can get the purchased music back if I call Apple?<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 10:30 AM

John, the apps for retrieving songs from an iPod are really nice, easier than calling Apple.<br><br>The link below has a 30 day trial, 250 song limit and songs must be copied one at a time in Trial mode. $8 to purchase. Works great.<br><br>http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 10:50 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant for songs that weren't on my iPod and that I lost on the bad HD.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 11:36 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant for songs that weren't on my iPod and that I lost on the bad HD.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ewww, that's not good. How many songs do you think you lost? Mary (Sleevetugger) had the same thing happen a few years ago and Apple let her re-download them. Might be worth a call if we're talking about a substantial amount.<br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 11:41 AM

I'm afraid to look! heh<br><br>Actually, I don't know exactly, but there are a lot over the years that I have purchased but I don't know how many I have on my iPod that I did buy.<br><br>I thought I had my iTunes music on 2 HD's but apparently not. Time to buy a new internal HD and an external one for back up! That Seagate 1TB drive looks nice.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 11:48 AM

I back up tunes to on internal and an external HD, and periodically burn a CD of everything I've imported since the previous time I burned a CD.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 06:23 PM

You can check your Purchase History in your iTunes account. Cross reference that with the songs on your iPod and you'll know what you're missing.<br><br>

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/03/08 07:33 PM

Thanks! I didn't know that was there. Whew...16 pages of it. <br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/04/08 12:43 PM

A good thing is that the hard drive is under warranty, so I'll be getting a new one soon.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Missing hard drive - 07/04/08 01:27 PM

I took the HD out and now it's hooked up via cables that my brother had. Ran Data Rescue and so far it's scanned 245MB! I'm hoping that I can at least recover my music then ship this off to WD.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: mightymonk

Re: Missing hard drive - 04/27/09 05:35 AM

I had to open up terminal and then type in:

sudo chflags nohidden /

Hit return. The hard drive icon should appear. I rebooted to see if the change was permanent. It was.