$625.13

Posted by: Papa

$625.13 - 06/19/08 05:50 PM

That is what it would have cost to fix the processor in my G5 2.3 ghz if I didn't have Applecare. I have 20 days left on the Applecare and so far it has paid for a hard drive, the processor. and two 20 inch displays.<br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: $625.13 - 06/19/08 06:18 PM

It is worth the money isn't it? I guess we should all intend on buying it on every Mac purchase and just consider it part of the Mac purchase. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: Papa

Re: $625.13 - 06/19/08 06:34 PM

I get it on anything I buy from Apple and I am still way ahead on money.<br><br>
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: $625.13 - 06/19/08 08:54 PM

I guess I've been lucky.<br>Seven machines throughout the years, no Applecare, and the only one to give up the ghost was a Power Computing clone. And I still have the disc that states "support for life", or whatever…<br><br>The newest is a 24" iMac at work, and after 8 months, I'm totally happy with it.<br><br>That being said, I'd probably get Applecare for myself if I bought a new computer. Sure seems like a lot of hardware problems. Either that, or I read too much geek news on the internets.<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: $625.13 - 06/19/08 09:13 PM

i have never bought Applecare either and i've never needed it. i've owned about 25+ Macs (many bought for our small business). we probably have about 5 active in our house now and 3 employees elsewhere running Macs as well. the money i would have spent no Applecare for all of these computers is enough to just buy a new computer the first time we actually have a need to use Applecare. <br><br>that being said, i think it's probably pretty wise for the typical person to get it. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: $625.13 - 06/19/08 09:42 PM

Define 'typical".<br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: $625.13 - 06/20/08 01:00 AM

Yeah sorta like what Sean mentioned,, if you have 25 + macs then certainly there is some saved money to buy a new one at the expense of buying Apple Care. <-- 25 + Macs is not a "typical" Apple user, per say. At the most in one time I had 5 running Macs but now I am down to just 2.<br><br>Anyway; Apple Care has paid for it self.<br><br>1 - Performa 600 CD - logic board replacement for free est 800 bucks.<br>2 - Power Tower Pro 225 <-- never had problems with it - did not buy Apple care<br>3 - G4 350 first generation - bad ram chip free replacement est 500 bucks<br>4 - Mac Mini first generation G4 - dead due to ant infestation ????? or so I was told<br>5 - Mac Mini G4 2nd generation 133 - still running<br>6 - iMac 24 inch 2.8 intel core 2 duo - still running<br><br>So 4 out of 6 Macs never had problems that I could declare warranty issues under Apple Care. The 2 that did have problems, Apple Care fixed it free of charge. Keep in mind that the PTP 225, I did not buy Apple Care at that time for that Mac clone. Consider the 2 that needed Apple Care has paid for the coverage of the other 3 Macs.<br><br>Bottom line;<br>Apple Care is like car insurance - you can drive around happily thinking of all the money your saving on not buying insurance. Once you get into an accident your mind switches to - "dang I wish I was insured" <br><br>
Posted by: Alec_Fromm

Re: $625.13 - 06/20/08 04:59 AM

You have experienced the "what if" and wisely chose to buy Applecare so you can say "who cares?". Bravo!<br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: $625.13 - 06/20/08 09:14 AM

I've always said you're smarter than you look, glad it paid off, many times over too.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: $625.13 - 06/20/08 09:57 AM

I had a similar, but much worse, scenario with my G5 shortly after I got it. I had NEVER purchased AppleCare before, but for some reason I decided to get it when I bought the G5.<br><br>I had the jet-airplane fan issue as soon as I got the G5, but decided to live with it for a few months. After a few months, I couldn't stand it anymore. I took it in to the Apple Store to get repaired.<br><br>1 power supply,<br>2 new processors<br>2 new motherboards<br>1 new fan<br>1 completely new G5 with nothing but my existing hard drive and 3rd-party RAM switched over to the new machine<br><br>NO FIX.<br><br>Didn't cost me a dime, but the amount in the invoice was about 3 times what I paid for the G5 to begin with.<br><br>I eventually ended up selling it on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks shy of what I paid for it new after nearly a year to the day of owning it.<br><br>Is AppleCare worth it? Ohhhhhhhhh heeeelllll yeah!!!<br><br>
Posted by: SteveS

Re: $625.13 - 06/25/08 01:04 PM

I guess I've been extremely lucky. I've had plenty of Macs over the years. The only one that has ever had problems within the 3yr Apple Care warrantee would be my current Mac Pro where I had to replace the ATI 1900 video card. That of course prompted me to buy AppleCare for the first time. I suspect I'll never need it again.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: $625.13 - 06/25/08 04:58 PM

All the work you had done should have been covered under the regular Apple warranty, not AppleCare. AppleCare is for the two years after the initial 1 year warranty.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: $625.13 - 06/25/08 07:28 PM

Sometimes I get AppleCare, sometimes not. Only the ones with AppleCare have ever had any problems <br><br>Not sure what that tells me, exactly.<br><br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: DLC

Re: $625.13 - 06/26/08 05:56 AM

I think Apple Care is good for laptops, but not for a typical Mac desktop ... esp if it's a tower... <br><br>I think you can replace parts (if ever needed) in the tower cheaper than the AC cost.<br><br>Laptops get banged around more and the cost of replaceing even a HD is much more expensive, not to mention the keyboard or screen. It's just a different animal.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: SteveS

Re: $625.13 - 06/26/08 07:22 AM

"I think Apple Care is good for laptops, but not for a typical Mac desktop ... esp if it's a tower... "<br><br>You're probably right. I suppose the timing of my failed video card scared me into buying the Apple Care for the desktop. I haven't purchased the Apple Care for my MacBook Pro (yet) as it's still under warrantee. We'll see...<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: $625.13 - 06/26/08 02:22 PM

Your post is the one true thing that has always irked me about Apple.<br><br>$625 for a two year old processor? That's nuts. The problem is however, you can't just go get that part anywhere. <br><br>If Apple actually does decide to open up and allow Snow Leopard on standard PC's, the desktop war is over and Apple wins. If it doesn't, then it's still a second hand player as people get tired real quick of shelling out that kind of cash when something goes wrong. I could replace the entire motherboard, CPU, video card and HD on the old PC for less than that $625!<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: $625.13 - 06/26/08 03:00 PM

I could replace the entire motherboard, CPU, video card and HD on the old PC for less than that $625!<br><br>Maybe in parts costs alone. As in any repair, the cost of parts isn't the high dollar amount on the final bill.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: $625.13 - 06/26/08 04:48 PM

I could replace the entire motherboard, CPU, video card and HD on the old PC for less than that $625!<br><br>Sure you could but the fact of the matter is 99% of all computer users can't even install their own OS, never mind opening the scary box and replacing parts themselves.<br><br>The expertise in this forum is an anomaly, not the norm. The only people who might get upset about the high cost of Mac parts are a handful of computer geeks who are capable of their own repairs. The rest of the world buys Apple Care, if they are smart.<br><br>How many ordinary PC users get their machines repaired when there is a major hardware failure? None that I know of. It's off to the trash then down to the local Best Buy or whatever for a new machine.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: $625.13 - 06/27/08 06:22 AM

True story: I know a person of the PC persuasion who got a new computer because her "old" one's HD failed. That's one expensive HD!<br><br>
Posted by: kgdrum

Re: $625.13 - 11/22/08 12:10 PM

my g5(2.7 dual G5)started acting weird in August,then things calmed down for a while............2 weeks before Applecare was about to expire it started acting funny again.
Applecare replaced the liquid cooled power supply(it leaked)the processor and the logic board.
if you ask me Applecare is the best $200 I ever spent!
if I didn't have it the G5 would have been toast.