computer troubles

Posted by: lizclaybourne

computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:25 PM

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some computer troubles that i am having..Any time I had trouble before stan would ...click...click .....and back in business...<br>last year stan gave me his Power Mac G4 cube..and it seems to running really really slow..and it will not sign into any sites at all.. Also I could be using it and it will autonmatically shut off...<br>anyone have any ideas..<br>any help will be greatly appricated<br>thanks<br>liz<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:33 PM

Two questions come to mind:<br><br>1. Is the hard drive full?<br>2. Has the PRAM battery been replaced?<br><br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:42 PM

it is a possiblity that the hard drive could be full..my daughter downloaded a virtual villiage game on to it and it hasnt worked since.....and i dont know what a pram battery is..nor do i know if it has ever been replaced....if it was i would have been when stan had it....but not that i know of since i had it<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:46 PM

I'd second checking the PRAM battery, the cube is fairly old now and if the battery hasn't been replaced it could just about be dead. In my experience those batteries going low have been responsible for a host of problems that they shouldn't even effect.<br><br>I've also noticed a slew of machines have those batteries die in just a year or two. Then, I've also had ones where they seemingly lasted forever (my old Centris 650 comes to mind).<br><br>However, a full HD as suggested will also terribly slow down the machine, especially if it doesn't have much memory and is relying on virtual memory.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:52 PM

any i dea if I can replace the battery or how to remove the virtual game from the machine....and if i remove this game from the machine is there a possiblity that the machine might work ...this machine was working perfectly..before she added this game...<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 02:56 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i dont know what a pram battery is..nor do i know if it has ever been replaced<p><hr></blockquote><p>Linky <-- will download the cube manual.<br><br>Page 67 shows you the battery (follow the instructions for opening the computer). I'd replace the battery, it's only about $10 at Radio Shack and certainly won't hurt if you've had the machine awhile.<br><br>As for the HD, do a get info on the drive and see how much space is left.<br><br>**edit - yeah, if the game is taking up a ton of space then getting rid of it would help. You could get an external firewire drive for more space if you need.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 03:08 PM

I really hate to sound stupid..but i only started using a computer when stan gave me his..So to be really honest with you..I only know how to go on to his site..and to check my emails.....So I dont know how to check for space...I think that is why he gave me thecomputer to i could learn how it worked..silly me didnt do a very good job at it. Is there anything special that i should ask for at radio shack when i go looking for a battery.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 03:09 PM

I would throw the game into the trash then empty. My first guess is a full hard drive.<br><br>Open a Finder window. (click on the icon on the far left in the dock) Look for Applications. (click on the hard drive icon) Find your game then drag to the trash. After you have emptied the trash look at the bottom of the Finder window. It will tell you how much space is remaining on the hard drive.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by margadagio on 04/21/08 06:11 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 03:50 PM

To find out how much space you have on your hard drive, click once on the hard drive icon, and then press the Apple key and i simultaneously. An window will open that gives you information about the drive. The two important figures for what you want to find out are the one next to Capacity and the one next to Available. As a general rule of thumb, you should have at least 10% of the drive's capacity available--but more than 10% is a good idea. If you find that the drive is overloaded, then do as Marg suggests--dump that game that you said your daughter downloaded.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 04:23 PM

You need a 3.6 v lithium battery. Here is a screen shot from the manual that Sgt Baxter kindly provided a link to....<br><br><br><br><br><br>You can download the manual. CHold down Control key and click on the link. A menu will drop down with some options... pick Download Link. This will put the file on your computer. I'm guessing you aqre not running Leopard ona Cube... so the file will most likely download to your desktop. <br>Print out the pages regarding opening the case, replacement of battery, and the pages for putting it back together. It may seem scary... but if you can cook a 3 course meal you can do this. It just seems scary because you've never done it. Once you're done, you will think... Wow, there wasn't anything to that!<br><br> I would first check the Hard Drive and make sure it's not full. That would be an easier fix.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 04:42 PM

thank you so much you all have been so kind to me..I am currently using a computer that my daughter purchaced the other day becaue our mac is down....i appericate you sending me the pic of the cube...since our only printer is hooked to the mac i was unable to print anything...Jocelyn is currently trying to erase her games from the harddrive..and i will go to see if i can purchace a battery..in the morning...now that stan is gone i am so greatful for his readers b eing so willing to help me with my computer <br>I knew there was something special about the mac world<br>thanks so much<br>liz<br>liz<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 07:00 PM

Good luck with getting it working again, Liz. If you can find an inexpensive external hard drive, you could put Jocelyn's games on that to save space. <br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/21/08 08:10 PM

Take the battery out of the cube before you go, and take it with you to make sure you get the right one. They're usually purple and green.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 06:39 AM

Make sure to let us know how things work out for you. <br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 03:09 PM

no luck...i didnt realize that here in charlottetown we dont have a radio shack so i was not able to find a new battery as of yet... question tho...how come the curser sometimes turns into a spinning rainbow and takes a long time to stop...and could it be possible that there is a timmer set some where for it to shut down after about 4 min everytime<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 04:19 PM

The SBBOD (Spinning BeachBall of Death) means the machine is having to wait for stuff to be written to and from virtual memory on the hard drive (it could also be an indication that the hard drive is going bad). The shut down could be related to the PRAM battery being nearly dead or a failing power supply. Also, a failing hard drive might cause random shut downs, but that is not likely. I'm assuming that you do not have diagnostic programs on CD or DVD to try. Is there anyone nearby who would know Mac-ology?<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 04:46 PM

Even though everyone has jumped on the battery I will be the naysayer and go straight to Occam's razor. The simplest solution might be right. Occam's Part II is "Try the simple first, it is less of a pain." (The battery is the last thing I would check.)<br><br>Your problem might be caused by:<br><br>1) Your hard drive is full<br>2) You have too many applications running.<br>3) Or 1+2.<br><br>a) Find a way to click on your hard drive. Then go into the menu and find under File, "Get Info". It will tell you stuff about your hard drive. As yoyo said, the important numbers are how much of your drive is used and how much is available.<br>I bet you need to start deleting. Those games, delete those games.<br><br>But start with a complete computer restart to make sure you do not have ten programs running. Sometimes it is hard to tell. If in doubt. Unplug from the wall. Then start again.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 04:57 PM

I'll go along with what poly says. I suspect the hard drive is too full. It's very important you let us know the details. <br><br>click on your hard drive icon then press the "apple" key and the "i" key at the same time. A box will pop up that has the info we need.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 05:06 PM

You can also Control-click on the hard drive icon on your desktop. That will bring up a menu from which you can select "Get Info."<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 05:07 PM

A full hard drive is my first guess also, but the random shut downs bother me.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: computer troubles - 04/22/08 06:51 PM

Uh oh, Liz. Sounds like the hard drive could be failing. You can replace the hard drive, but not the stuff you have on it, so find a way to copy the important stuff somewhere else ASAP. <br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 01:31 AM

No luck, Jocelyn removed all the games from the computer( we think and hope) s.o now it will sign on to the internet, but it still will only stay on for about four mins. So I am going to see if i can find some one who might know a little about macs and see if they will come to the house and help me with it....thanks so much for all your help<br>liz<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 05:26 AM

If you can't find a friend or co-worker to help you'll have to take the machine into a repair place. There is only one authorized reseller and repair business in PEI.<br><br>Little Mac Shoppe<br><br>DO NOT call any old computer outfit that will come out to your home. Those folks service PC's and generally know little about Macs. <br><br>Make sure to get an estimate of repair. If the problem is more than a failing hard drive or a battery it's likely not worth your while to get it fixed. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $200 on an old machine.<br><br>For your uses you could easily get by with a Mac Mini. They are a wonderful machine for the casual computer user.<br><br>Check out Apple Canada store<br><br>Check out Special Deals. (on left side of page, near the bottom) Apple online offers refurbished machines. These are like new and offer full warranty. I bought one for my daughter and it works great.<br><br>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 05:31 AM

Do you have any of the disks that came with the computer?<br><br>How much stuff is on the hard drive, and how much is important?<br><br>When you say it disconnects from the internet after 4 minutes, is it doing anything else bad? Are you still getting the spinning cursor? Is it still slow? <br><br>HERE is a forum for CUBE owners. Don't go away - but there might be someone there who's been through your particular cube blight.<br><br>HERE is another Cube resource.<br><br>is THIS your battery? Mail order has to beat driving for a battery where you live!<br><br>From the OWC page re: batteries going down, and effecting performance: <br><br>"Macintosh computers contain an internal backup battery to maintain system settings, such as the date and time, when the computer is turned off . The battery may last up to five years though actual life is determined by shelf life of the battery and usage patterns of the computer. The batteries used in the Macintosh computers listed below are lithium, and are 3.6 V<br><br>When the computer does not retain PRAM settings (such as the date and time) after it has been turned off, this generally indicates a dead battery."<br><br>You may have other things going on, but your computer is five years old - the battery replacement is very inexpensive, and a dead battery, or even a low battery, can make your computer behave as if it's been exposed to red kryptonite. <br><br>The next thing is to get ahold of a disk with Disk Utility on it, and just establish a base line. Don't go away, Liz, We're all interested in your cube getting better. <br><br> <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 05:37 AM

You are getting a lot of possible scenarios from the posters in here... don't let it overwhelm you. It's probably only 1 of these things. And it's as likely to be be an easy fix as not.<br>It may just need a battery... or some basic utilities run on it.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 05:45 AM

With the shutdown after 4 minutes it's probably the power supply, it runs for a few minutes, overheats, then shuts off, or something on the logic board (mother board) is overheating and shutting it down. I've seen/heard of those symptoms many times, my money would be on the power supply.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:01 AM

That's a good bet. So what's a power supply run... parts and installation?<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:03 AM

Oh crap... I forgot it's external.<br><br>$250.00<br><br>http://hardcoremac.stores.yahoo.net/66g4cuposu.html<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:05 AM

Looking at completed sales on Ebay, they go for about 50-60 bucks.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NucleusG4 on 04/23/08 09:06 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:17 AM

I don't know anything about the Cube but I had a similar problem with my old G4/400. There's a fan that's attached to the power supply that's not working properly. Unfortunately the fix is to replace the whole thing, not just the fan.<br><br>Even if I had the part, the repair isn't something I'd tackle myself. Liz is in the same position. She's not about to be opening up the Cube and doing anything other than a battery replacement.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:37 AM

Just remembered, it has an external power adapter, not an internal supply. There is something called a DC to DC board though. It's about $100 and probably takes about a half hour to put in. It's a tough call without having the unit to look at. One would need to get inside and look at certain LED's and take some voltage readings. Could even be the video card overheating but that would be probably a lockup rather than a shutdown. The shutdown could also be the CPU or logic board overheating, going bad or bad airflow and/or dirty innards<br><br>Probably worth resetting the PMU first, Power Management Unit. It does require a slight take apart though.<br><br>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:39 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Liz is in the same position. She's not about to be opening up the Cube and doing anything other than a battery replacement.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, I figured that. Just offering suggestions so she can judge if she wants to put the money into it. <br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 01:03 PM

thanks to everyone that is trying to help but to be honest with you I really dont know much about computers at all. That is why stan gave me the cube because He was going to get around to teaching me..But we never did.( to busy visiting i guess).Well he did show me a little just the basics ..like checking email ,his site..( just a little side note...Since he was Ill when I came home from work I was to check his site and if there were no postings I was to come down to his house right away if i didnot get a phone call from him saying the internet was down or something) .....I do recall now ..stan saying something about the little mac shop....it was around the corner from his house...small little store front ..Since I didnt know much about computers this is nothing on it that i really need to save at all....And you are right I dont think i would be able to change the battery myself I looked at the diogram and the machine its self...I have NO i dea ...and I would be afraid I would reck the machine alltogether.......I dont know if I will ever be able to purchace a mac on my own .but I will say this I really liked the grafics that were on it..how fast it was..I liked that i could just trun it on and have no trouble that i see there is with using this computer that jocelyn bought with her babysitting money..I can now see why people have a great apperication for the Mac.. thanks again for everyones help..and welcomming me int to your community..<br>liz<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 01:16 PM

Liz,<br><br>Replacing the battery is quite simple. If you can e-mail me, I'll make sure you get a proper take apart manual.<br><br>mississauga AT mac DOT com<br><br>- alec -

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 02:21 PM

As I recall, the Cube doesn't have a fan. The design was so that it pulled cool air in from the bottom and expelled the warmed (heated) air out the top - like a chimney.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 02:32 PM

Don't worry about wrecking the computer. Unless you're beating on the internal parts with a hammer, or pouring acid on it it should be okay. ;)<br><br>The manual we linked to shows you exacly how to pull the computer apart too. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you ever thought you couldn't.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 02:35 PM

It can't be any worse than prying open a Mini to change the hard drive. <br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 03:26 PM

That makes me wonder if her machine couldn't just be clogged with dust? It's an old machine and who knows what has gone in there and whether it's ever been cleaned out. It does appear to be some kind of over heating problem causing the shut down.<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 04:10 PM

yes ...i think the machine is getting hot....I dont remember it ever getting this hot before..<br><br>

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 04:12 PM

One thing you should definitely do is take the machine outside and blow it out with compressed air.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: computer troubles - 04/23/08 06:53 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I dont remember it ever getting this hot before..<p><hr></blockquote><p>An over-heating computer will shut down after a few minutes of use. As suggested, try blowing it off with a can of compressed air. If you have a small fan, try blowing it on the compute and see if it stays booted longer just to test the theory.<br><br>