15" SR MBP LED?

Posted by: NucleusG4

15" SR MBP LED? - 04/19/08 03:34 PM

I have a new Santa Rosa MBP 15" and just realized that at least some of these came with LED displays. Did all of the SR MBP 15"/ 2 Duo /2.2 Ghz /Bus 800 models come with this?<br><br>I look in the System Profiler and see that my display says LCD/1440x900/32 bit..blah blah blah.<br><br>How can I find out.<br><br>Model # FBO74LL/A <br><br>When I first turned it on I thought it was quite bright... now I'm wondering if that's due to newness or LEDs.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: 15" SR MBP LED? - 04/19/08 03:47 PM

I know my MBA is LED and the profiler says the following. Yes it is very bright and I am usually running it at about 60%. It hasn't gotten any dimmer in the past month. [color:blue]<br>Chipset Model: GMA X3100<br> Type: Display<br> Bus: Built-In<br> VRAM (Total): 144 MB<br> Vendor: Intel (0x8086)<br> Device ID: 0x2a02<br> Revision ID: 0x0003<br> Displays:<br>Color LCD:<br> Display Type: LCD<br> Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 61 Hz<br> Depth: 32-bit Color<br> Built-In: Yes<br> Core Image: Hardware Accelerated<br> Main Display: Yes<br> Mirror: Off<br> Online: Yes<br> Quartz Extreme: Supported<br></font color=blue><br><br>

Re: 15" SR MBP LED? - 04/19/08 03:58 PM

The reason I'm having a hard time determining this that I bought a refurb and the dcumentation was scarce... the box was generic also with no label outside.<br><br>My System Profiler gives me this info.<br>Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT<br> Type: Display<br> Bus: PCIe<br> PCIe Lane Width: x16<br> VRAM (Total): 128 MB<br> Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)<br> Device ID: 0x0407<br> Revision ID: 0x00a1<br> ROM Revision: 3175<br> Displays:<br>Color LCD:<br> Display Type: LCD<br> Resolution: 1440 x 900<br> Depth: 32-bit Color<br> Built-In: Yes<br> Core Image: Hardware Accelerated<br> Main Display: Yes<br> Mirror: Off<br> Online: Yes<br> Quartz Extreme: Supported<br>Display Connector:<br> Status: No display connected<br><br><br><br><br>

Got it sorted... - 04/19/08 04:38 PM

It is LED. I had to refer to MacTracker... great little free app.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 12:52 AM

<br><br>I have the same model and overall, the screen is ... okay. <br>However, lately I have experienced sudden overall colour shifts, the likes of which I never had with any previous powerbook.<br>Out of the blue - literally - the screen suddenly has a light blue haze over it, including the menu bar, which only disappears on rebooting, so, I guess that would make it software dependent.<br><br>Also, I find the vertical viewing angle less than ideal. A tad more angle and the screen gets a strange "khaki" look. And even the calibration seems somewhat out of kilter .... the right control fields, which determine tint, need to go all the way toward the bottom right, in order to get a decent alignment.<br><br>With my previous G4 AluBook, the screen may have been dimmer, but it seemed more correct as far as color/hue is concerned.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: ... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 04:52 AM

Interesting... thanks for the info. I will watch mine for similar behaviours. <br>I did calibrate mine with a Gretag-Macbeth Eye One this weekend... and it looks great. I have yet to do any PS work on it though. I'm curious as to how the glossy is going to affect me retouching and color work.<br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

Re: ... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 09:27 AM

[color:blue]Gretag-Macbeth Eye One</font color=blue><br><br>wow, that's some heavy artillery for a laptop!<br><br><br><br>

Re: ... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 10:58 AM

It belongs to work. About twice a year I bring it home and calibrate all monitors in my house. <br>I calibrated my 20" Apple Cinema Display... it's 5? years old. The original 20". <br>It still holds a calibration quite well. The eye one software allows for a before/after when it finishes... I could hardly see a difference. The only real diff is that I had too turn up the brightness some more. I believe a couple of years ago the brightness was up to about 60% on the slider. Now it's at 75-80%. I can see this LCD lasting a coupla more years. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: ... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 11:02 AM

How far off are the Apple monitors? I have the 23" HD one, the original plastic one and wondered how it is color-wise.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: ... but, not all is so well, it seems. - 04/21/08 03:16 PM

That depends.. how far off from the day you got it? Probably a decent amount if you're into printing and photography and prepress. I find the LCDs are way better than CRTs of course. CRT gases change too much. The lighting in the LCDs.. specifically Apples and Dells.. seems really good. We get Apple gear for all of our photo studios (9 at present) around the country and for our prepress dept/sales people, etc. I am friends with the one IT guy we have ... and he reports very little problems with the Apple monitors.<br>So I would say if you haven't had complaints you are prolly ok... but you should calibrate first chance you get.<br><br>