iPhoto- Camera problem

Posted by: DLC

iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 03:53 AM

macBeemer's posts reminded me of a problem I have. I took about 60 shots on my Canon G2 and went to Import into iPhoto... some transfer - some don't ... it says it can't read some. I tried on several computers but they won't load... and They are still there .... if I click on "Device- Canon G2 "- I can see them.<br><br>Is there another way to get them off ??<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 04:50 AM

Try Image Capture.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 05:22 AM

Copy them from the Canon to the computer then drag them into iPhoto maybe.<br><br>Maybe the card is corrupt. Do you ever format the card in the camera, or just delete photos after transfer?<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 07:22 AM

Can you mount the card/camera on the desktop and just drag/drop them?<br><br>I have had that problem of Aperture not being able to import files, but when I drag/drop them from the CF card, it works.<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 09:02 AM

How do you mount the camera from the desktop ? I mean I see it in iPhoto, but I never looked at the desktop to see if it popped up there. I tried dragging from the camera in iPhoto to the desktop and nothing happened. <br> Funny thing is it downloaded 50-60% of my photos, but it wouldn't take all of them.<br><br>David (OFI)<br><br>Card may be getting old, it's been in there 2-3 years !

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 09:51 AM

Ah, so you don't have a card reader? <br><br>Try Image Capture like someone else suggested. Another thing is look in System Prefs...can't recall right now since I'm at work on a PC. But there may be an option there, perhaps in the CD/DVD section, about what to do when one is plugged in.<br><br>If Image Capture doesn't do it, and nothing is in Sys Prefs, then go out and get a card reader.<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 11:25 AM

Ah ha... I may have one... I've always just hooked the camera up...<br><br>but IF I have a reader, I plug that in teh USB and just drag and drop ??<br><br>wow that might be an easy solution.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 11:27 AM

Yup, it should mount like an external drive.<br><br>my photos
Posted by: starmillway

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 11:43 AM

Using Disk Utility you can verify/repair the disk.<br><br>and<br><br>Make a new folder [not on the desktop] and drag all the pictures from the mounted camera drive [ you can see it in the Finder ] to the folder. Try importing them to iPhoto from the folder.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 06:28 PM

When your camera is connected by USB, you should see something on the desktop that you should be able to open. Drag the photos into a folder or onto the desktop and then import them from within iPhoto? <br><br>Edit: oops, Ethel beat me to the punch! <br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dreed2 on 03/18/08 09:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 06:44 PM

are my posts invisible? <br><br>my photos
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/18/08 06:51 PM

sorry... I'm overtired tonight and I just got my Internet back. <br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 05:26 AM

Thanks VERY MUCH to all... <br><br>I'll try the card reader tonight and Image Capture... I've been swamped the past 3 days.<br><br>I'll post the outcome..<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: margadagio

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:38 AM

I use image capture to download and delete all pictures from my camera.<br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 07:00 AM

If you use the card reader, you can do it all by hand vs Image Capture. I find it easier to just open up the folder and drag/drop the files to the desktop. Then import them into iPhoto.<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 05:41 PM

Image Capture and the card reader didn't work. I get this message. <br>What's weird is the images are clearly on the chip and are very sharp, I just can't print or capture them.<br><br><br><br>any other suggestions ?<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 05:44 PM

Are those Raw files (just a guess looking at the .crw)?<br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:00 PM

I don't know is that what .crw means.<br> If so how can I access them ?<br>when I drag and drop the images I get 2 files... one ends in .CRW and the other is .THM. I can't open either... in Photoshop, Preview... nothing. <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:09 PM

How old is the card? I'm wondering if there is some kind of wear or damage to the card, itself. IIRC, I saw something somewhere that stated that flash memory has a limit to read/write/erase cycles. You can view them on the camera, but they won't transfer to the computer? I'm thinking there is some kind of file corruption happening which is preventing anything other than the camera from reading.<br><br><br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:11 PM

CRW is Canon's raw image files... I may check their site to see if they have a converter.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:18 PM

Hmmm...interesting. Yes, CRW is Canon's version of RAW.<br><br>What version of Photoshop do you have? If you want, you can email me the files and I can try to convert if you want.<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:48 PM

I have Photoshop version 7.0.<br><br>I have about 50 to convert- I think it'd cause you lots of grief and time... I appreciate the offer though.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:53 PM

Nah, no grief!<br><br>That's the version of PS I have I think. Is that CS?<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 06:58 PM

Is that CS?<br><br>No. Pre-CS.<br><br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 07:03 PM

I repeat;<br><br>"Copy them from the Canon to the computer then drag them into iPhoto maybe."<br><br>In this case it's from the card.<br><br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 07:05 PM

Reboot OSX and MacB .... yeah my Photoshop -s Pre- historic !! <br><br>I'm going to try a trial Aperture... for 30 days... I may have accidently switched the mode in the camera. the ones I can import are jpg ! ... so I think I screwed up somewhere !!<br><br>I tried your method Reboot - iPhoto says it can't read them "error".<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 07:10 PM

Which iPhoto version do you have? '08 should be able to handle those raw files. raw files are not compressed, right? I know that folks who rely on photography for a living prefer working with raw files, don't they?<br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 08:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>raw files are not compressed, right?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Raw files are compressed, but not processed in the camera like jpegs.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/19/08 08:38 PM

Sumpin's funny. iPhoto 5 could do RAW I thought.<br><br>Format the card if it doesn't clear up. I format mine using the camera every time after I Import into iPhoto.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 05:03 AM

Hi everyone... I checked the camera compatibility of iPhoto 08 and it only will import Raw from Canon G5 - G9s ... mine is an old G2 <br>I'll tell ya every exception to the current rules- I fit ! <br>This weekend I'm going to try the trial Aperture- it's supposed to import raw... <br>Canon doesn't even support the raw image importer for my camera any more... <br>I'm screwed if Aperture doesn't work. <br><br>Guess time to consider a newer and better camera... the G9 looks nice. <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 05:10 AM

Weird that they dropped support on their own camera.<br><br>I wonder if Adobe's DNG converter will work with it? Download it and give it a try. Here is what it is:<br><br>Adobe DNG Converter and Camera RAW is a free utility that converts files from more than 75 cameras to Digital Negative (DNG), enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files to a more universal DNG RAW file.<br><br><br>Hmm, not sure if that'll work. Aperture should work. Hit me up if you need help with it. <br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 05:32 AM

I leave the RAW format to the pros; prefer to shoot JPEG with my G2. Unless you're selling prints or are THAT fussy about your images, RAW is unnecessary. my2sense<br><br>I'll be looking to upgrade my camera soon, as the battery is pretty well finished and a replacement just doesn't seem worth it for such "old" technology.<br><br>- alec -

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 05:41 AM

I use RAW for several reasons, even when I'm just shooting "snapshots" of say my son's birthday party. What really helps is if the picture is too dark, I can lighten it up a LOT when it's a RAW file vs a JPEG, which can't without losing something.<br><br>my photos

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 06:46 AM

I use JPEG and, yes, you're limited in the amount of tweaking you can do without losing quality. I'm not anywhere near a professional photog, so it works fine for my purposes.<br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 07:13 AM

Because of my past experience as a professional photographer, I'm likely more aware of lighting conditions than many and adjust accordingly. I try to avoid using the camera's "AUTO" function, preferring to shoot in either aperture or shutter speed priority and "tweak" the exposure levels in-camera.<br><br>Of course, there are times when I'm lazy or in a hurry, and shoot AUTO 'cause it's easy. <br><br>But you have a solid point about RAW files; starting with more data lets you produce the best available end result.<br><br>- alec -

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 08:05 AM

I can now confirm the G2's RAW format will open with Photoshop CS3, but not any other application I have. This is the first time I've tested RAW files and can now see the difference, when zoomed in to the extreme. But I'll reiterate; the use of RAW will likely be beneficial to only those with a very keen eye. The advent of "cheap" digital cameras has set the bar for quality at a moderately low point, which the average consumer has been forced to adopt.<br><br>I'm left wondering if Apple were to support the RAW format for its iPhoto online ordering, would we see an appreciable difference in the final product? I have a feeling the answer is yes.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 09:30 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The advent of "cheap" digital cameras has set the bar for quality at a moderately low point, which the average consumer has been forced to adopt.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And that, IMHO, is an understatement! <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 06:35 PM

"I leave the RAW format to the pros; prefer to shoot JPEG with my G2"<br><br>Yeah I'm with you Mississagua... I think I accidently changed it... it's a self inflicted wound <br><br>FUBAR'd myself !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br><br>PS..."I'll be looking to upgrade my camera soon, as the battery is pretty well finished and a replacement just doesn't seem worth it for such "old" technology."<br><br>yeah measley 4 Mpixels... how archaic !! <br><br>How go you like the looks of the G9?

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/20/08 08:01 PM

The G9 looks like a winner and reviews are very good, but for my meager needs, something cheaper will likely suffice.<br><br>- alec -

UpDate - 03/23/08 02:28 PM

Aperture didn't work... like iPhoto only supports Canons back to the G5!<br><br>I emailed Canon and they're supposed to send me a disk with a program.<br>I hope that works.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/29/08 03:24 PM

OK finally got them recovered... Canon sent a new disk with the old programs and I was able to get them... it was very convoluted process and required 3 programs if you count iPhoto.<br><br>I'm going to be sure I never shoot in RAW mode again.<br><br>Thanks again to all who offered advise.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: _macman

Re: iPhoto- Camera problem - 03/30/08 02:14 AM

Adobes DNG Converter should work, as its backward compatible. <br><br>I convert ALL my Canon DSLR raws to DNGs as soon as I dump them off the card. <br><br>