Taking a chance on a new mouse

Posted by: zwei

Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 03:30 PM

What kind of mouse do you guys use? I'm getting kinda miffed at Logitech. I had a Logitech MX310 that crapped out on me within a year or so. The left button is barely clickable ...most clicks don't register at all. After that, I figured I'd give them another shot and bought a MX400 because I liked the feel and sensitivity. I've probably had it a little over a year and now the left click button is giving me trouble AGAIN. I don't know if I just have a really macho pointer finger or what ...but I really didn't feel like buying another logitech right now.<br><br>I did some looking around and I found out that Razer (a company that specializes in high-end gaming peripherals) has put out a mouse specifically for Mac users called the Razer Pro|Click. After looking around at tons of reviews of their products I decided to stray from Logitech/Microsoft/Kensington this time and give them a shot. Has anyone here used one? or another one of Razer's products like the diamondback or copperhead? I'd be interested to hear your opinions. Pretty much the only bad things I have heard about this mouse is that the light color lends to easier discoloration and the buttons on the side opposite your thumb are hard to get to. I usually only use the 3 main buttons on a mouse so this isn't a problem for me.<br><br>After I get mine I'll be back with a full review (or at least first impressions) ...I have to say I'm pretty anxious to get my hands on this thing and try it out.<br><br>link-o<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 03:50 PM

They look awesome! Specs are impressive, too. I'm nearly ready to give up my Kensington cordless (frikken batteries seem to die at the most ridiculous times).<br><br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 03:53 PM

Mouse of Choice for many years. I recommended one to a friend and I don't think Wacom makes the Graphire any more. Gotta look it up.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 06:45 PM

I love my Wacom tablet. If I was going to replace it, I'd get a Bamboo for $79. http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/index.cfm<br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 06:56 PM

I can't go wireless for sure. I play very fast paced games and wireless is nowhere near as accurate for twitchy and fast paced movement. Plus I don't like having to swap batteries, as you said. <br><br>I decided to leave logitech for the moment not only because of the two failures I've had ...but I really HATE their drivers. I refuse to install them ...and after the whole Leopard upgrade failures due to old bad Logitech drivers I really don't trust them now. How are the kensington drivers? I know MS has some decent drivers ...but I really would prefer to give someone else my business. That's why I'm going out on a limb to try this one. During the google searches I found that it's actually sold through the Apple store as well ...and with a very high rating <br><br>link-o<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 06:56 PM

I have 2 Kensinton USB Pilot mouse and I love them, last a long time but I just found out today that the oldest mouse have now passed away. Scroll wheel does not work.<br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 06:58 PM

I have the Razor Pro on my G5 iMac. It's a good mouse. It has a speed feature that is super fast. It also has a slowing feature so if you move it slowly, you can choose how slow you want it to move. I think you'd like it. <br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 07:06 PM

Never had a problem with Kensington's MouseWorks drivers. The darned batteries run out of charge at the most inopportune times.<br><br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 07:07 PM

I definitely will slow it down. I don't use a very fast setting, although I DO like using acceleration. That way when I am traveling a long distance I can do it with ease. <br><br>Are you running Leopard? If so, did you have any issues after they put out the new leopard drivers?<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 07:12 PM

If this one fails me I will be looking at kensington for sure. Although, I'm hoping I just stumbled upon the "Apple" of mouses ...er mice <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 07:20 PM

I love my wireless optical mouse. I pretend it doesn't say Microsoft on it.<br><br> I easily get 5 -6 months use with a set of batteries. I'm a very heavy user so I'm impressed.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/25/08 07:27 PM

Give us a Razar review when you can<br><br>Keep in mind that the Pilot mouse is just the basic rat variety - 2 buttons and a scroll wheel thats all I need <-- I never had to install drivers either for any mouse that I had before they just where plug and play. I guess since I don't need the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6 button mice with multiple scroll wheels I would never need to install drivers <br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 12:15 AM

I use a Microsoft mouse, basic 2 buttons and clickable scrollwheel - but without the MS drivers! It's a nice big ergonomic mouse - I don't like weeny mice. I'm using SteerMouse to enhance the options for the mouse, like scrollwheel-click as back-button in browsers, scrollwheel-click as Hide App in other apps (until WindowShade came back in from the cold).<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 04:10 AM

I've been using a Logitech MX Revolution for quite a while now and love it. It is wireless though. <br><br>I also had extreme difficulties with their drivers - which is to say that I couldn't install them. Turns out they won't recognize the mouse if you had ever used Fast User Switching (which I do use). I ended up getting a relatively cheap app called SteerMouse which works fantastic with most any mouse I've plugged in. Kensington mouse drivers suffer from the same problem - Fast User Switching = no workie.<br><br>At the office I use a Microsoft mouse (can't remember, but it's one of the cheaper wired models), and it works very well. From what I've heard though, Microsoft (as well as Dell) actually use a Logitech mouse as the "base" and just add features and styling to it.<br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 05:29 AM

I currently don't use any drivers with my logitech mouse ...interesting note about fast user switching. I don't use that feature, luckily. I'm sure it has to do with the mouse software being installed in the user library instead of the main library. You could probably remedy it by either moving some files or installing it again in the new account. Not something I'd care to do though. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 07:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm sure it has to do with the mouse software being installed in the user library instead of the main library. You could probably remedy it by either moving some files or installing it again in the new account.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Unfortunately, that doesn't work. The driver simply will not recognize any mouse once Fast User Switching is used. Even turning off F.U.S. and restarting in one account only will not work. It's a widely known problem, yet Logitech, Kensington or Apple have not addressed it.<br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 07:28 AM

Wow ..that's really screwed up! I may have to do a test with this new mouse and fast user switching.<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/26/08 08:49 AM

Yes, I have 10.5 installed with the Razor. Doesn't seem to be any issues with it. Works like it did the first time I installed the driver. I have a Matias Tactile Pro keyboard also. For the "finest" keyboard/mouse Mac experience. <br><br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/28/08 04:58 PM

Well, I got my mouse today! It's a lot different feeling than my logitech. Your hand sits further back and your fingers don't curl down as much. It's plenty comfortable, just different. It'll take me a little bit to get used to it, but I did a quick test with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and I found myself to be pretty darn accurate with only 5-min of experience with the mouse. I did kinda freak out thinking the mouse was overly jerky when trying to make small movements, but I found that it was because I had the acceleration setting to high. It was starting to accelerate when the mouse was barely moving and causing the cursor to jump around far too much for me. It's under control now <br><br>Here are a couple screenshots of the more interesting pref tabs. I don't have any of the buttons set to do anything fancy yet, though.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Here is a screenshot of the "on the fly" sensitivity in action. You activate it by holding down whichever mouse button you assigned it to and scrolling up and down on the mouse wheel to raise/lower the sensitivity. It's essentially the same as going into the prefs and moving the slider up and down. Pretty nice feature!<br><br><br><br>The only thing that feels a bit odd to me is the side buttons. The location is fine for the ones next to your thumb ...but the two-way button has two little protruding braille-like bumps (one on each end) that are very noticeable. They almost feel like a piece of unfinished plastic that wasn't sanded off even though they are actually smooth/rounded. I'll get used to it fairly quickly, but it was quite odd feeling it under my thumb when barely touching the mouse. <br><br>After the first hour of use my quick review is most definitely positive! ...the way the mouse is layed out I find myself pushing the buttons a lot softer than on my logitech. It's also bit lighter than my logitech, which I like. It's definitely a twitch mouse (use your fingers/wrist to move it) ...not one where you rest your whole hand on it and use your arm.<br><br>I'm very happy I gave it a shot. As long as the drivers stay good and don't conflict with anything in future OS X updates I'll be pleased as punch. I just hope this thing lasts better than my last two mice. It's got a 2 year warrantee on it and I think I'll actually keep the box/receipt to make sure I get a good two years out of it If it's reliable, I may have just become a Razer fan for life!<br><br>Now I'm off to test the whole fast user switching thing Giz brought up...<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/28/08 05:19 PM

It seems to work with FUS ...I did notice the first time I switched over and set the buttons to different functions it didn't take ...but after logging out/in it cleared up and switching between the two accounts worked fine after that. All the buttons were working. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Taking a chance on a new mouse - 02/28/08 07:45 PM

i have been using steermouse for a while now as well and it's working like a charm for me. <br><br>i have a wired Logitech MX 500 or something like that. i am just too scared to go wireless because i am ignorant about them and have this fear that i'd lose it on a 16 hour work day at some point. how long does it last in use without a charge?<br><br>

What do you think now - 03/08/08 01:37 PM

Since you've had it for a little over a week?<br><br><br>

Re: What do you think now - 03/08/08 03:17 PM

Thanks for reminding me!<br><br>I still feel the same way about it. Very nice. I haven't ran into any weird bugs or issues with it or the drivers (knock on wood). I'm still in the process of getting used to using a faster speed on the pointer. I'm doing that on, purpose though ..not because I can't slow it down. <br><br>I've actually had a bit more trouble setting the speed up the way I like it on the PC side than on the Mac side. Not to mention it's kinda weird on the PC. The settings take several seconds to take effect when changed.<br><br>I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a higher-end mouse. <br><br>One thing I have not used at all is the on-the-fly speed adjustment. Guess I just haven't found a need for that yet. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: What do you think now - 03/08/08 03:43 PM

Thanks! The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to dump this Kensington wireless simply due to the battery recharging issues (it's dock doesn't always recharge the batteries).<br><br>

Re: What do you think now - 03/08/08 04:03 PM

Only thing that sucked so far about this purchase was that buy.com lowered the price $4 two days after I got mine! <br><br>If you can find one to check out the feel somewhere in town that might be good to do if you are really picky about the way you hold your mice. If you can't find a Pro|Click ...a razer diamondback or copperhead is the same form. Those would probably work with the Mac drivers too, but it doesn't say anything about them being supported on Macs on their website. <br><br>zweisoft<br>