MacBook Air 3D games report

Posted by: Nagromme

MacBook Air 3D games report - 02/08/08 12:53 PM

I had time to download some games onto a 1.6HD at the Apple Store - Avert Fate and Quake 4. Avert Fate detected poor X3100 drivers and wouldn't let me turn up the detail--but I know Apple is aware of that which gives me some hope for the future. Quake 4 Demo, at present, would be strictly for casual messing around or small numbers of LAN players. Too much going on would drop the framerate well below smooth. (Less busy times were smooth as glass, even with detail turned up a bit.)<br><br>It's possible the demo doesn't far as well as the actual game: Bare Feat's X3100 tests showed much higher framerates than I was seeing. And the demo has never been updated, while the game has seen patches.<br><br>It will be interesting to see what the FULL Q4, plus updated drivers from Apple, might deliver. (I tested using Q4 because it benched faster on X3100 than Doom3 or Prey at Bare Feats.)<br><br>I could not try UT2004 because the demo is not Universal.<br><br>Other OpenGL stuff--like UI effects and visualizers, were fast, as was general operation. I certainly didn't "feel" hampered vs. my 2.33 Ghz iMac.<br><br>Any MBA owners have full non-demo games to weigh in on?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net