new imac

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

new imac - 01/22/08 03:10 PM

got my mac!<br><br>but afraid to to turn it on, it is like 30 degrees, been on a ups truck all day, Apple's website says operating temp is 50 degrees think I'll let it sit awhile which is driving me nuts. Can I do damage if I turn it on and it is to cold.<br><br>I know I sound silly, but humor me please.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 03:11 PM

I don't know . . . but once it's on, it'll warm up quickly.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 03:13 PM

Good plan. I'd wait, as well.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 03:16 PM

I would have fired that puppy up and worn out the keyboard by now <br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: Topper

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 03:19 PM

I'm with Alec. It's too expensive to fool around with.<br>I'd wait for an hour or so.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 04:12 PM

Also, make the sign of the cross over it before firing it up for the first time. <-- I shouldn't wink. I always make the sign of the cross over my Macs before installing updates or upgrades. <br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 04:18 PM

I waited and now here I am WOW!<br><br>I never knew how slow my G4 really was, so much to learn so much to do, 2 gig stick from crucial will be here Thursday. I want to just scream! Why did I wait so long! Excuse me I don't even smoke, but I think I need a cigarette.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 04:19 PM

Did you use the MI or did you do the transferring by hand? Or should that be by mouse? Or . . . <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 04:36 PM

I haven't even started migration yet.<br><br>I have been home sick the last two days and the machine just got here at 6pm, going back to work tomorrow, got some stuff to do tonight.<br><br>But I got to admit I like my new iMac in its "virginal" state, might have to hold off migration. <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 06:21 PM

I hope you have a spare goat to sacrifice as well! <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 06:36 PM

"I have been home sick the last two days and the machine just got here at 6pm...'<br><br>Good thing Macs aren't susceptible to Viruses !! <br> We all expect to hear of your carpal tunnel trauma tomorrow !! <br><br>Have a great time IMac-soon#2... these times don't come often enough !!<br><br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: electricron

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 07:12 PM

You're going to have to change your name now.<br><br>You're no longer an iMacsoontobe.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 07:44 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You're going to have to change your name now.<br>You're no longer an iMacsoontobe.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're right, Ron. What shall we call him?<br>iMacAgain<br>iMacTake2<br>iMacWhyDid_I_WaitSoLong?<br>iMacWOW!<br><br>Congrats, iMac. Have fun.<br><br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout
Posted by: garyW

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 08:02 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>2 gig stick from crucial will be here Thursday.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Installing RAM in the new iMac is incredibly simple. Probably the best design that Apple's had on any mac so that any nooblet can upgrade. (No, I didn't call you a noob.) <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: new imac - 01/22/08 08:10 PM

Good ones<br><br>How about<br><br>proMacsoontobe<br><br>]

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone, I needed a chuckle today.<br>First day back after having the flu, what a day!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 07:17 AM

I'm sure it's warmed up by now but yes it can damage it, just like your glasses get condensation on them when you come in from the cold, so do the circuit boards. Electricity may take some strange paths then.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: polymerase

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 07:30 AM

And to be the most careful with electronics shipped which appear to be cold is to not break the seal on the box for several hours until the entire contents have reached room temperature.<br><br>Not quite as important in the middle of the winter when the inside relative humidity is likely below 30%. But in the middle of the summer a circuit board can get quite damp if brought out from the cold into warm and humid. Of course during the summer it is unlikely that one could receive a cold package.<br><br>In my case we often have to run electronics in the cold room. If delicate electronics are moved from the cold room we will box it up then leave the box sealed until it comes to room temperature before opening.<br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 07:59 AM

I waited about an hour and all went well.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 08:00 AM

Do you have any photos?<br><br>_______<br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 08:02 AM

unfortunately no, being sick, just didn't feel like pulling the camera out<br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 08:39 AM

Just take 'em with the iSight. <br><br>- alec -

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 08:41 AM

so I should hold a mirror in front of the imac and then use photobooth?<br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 09:22 AM

Sure, why not? <br><br><br><br><br>- alec -
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 09:42 AM

Allow me to help out... I never shared my unpacking experience with the forum so I'll do it now.<br><br>Unpacking the iMac<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 09:50 AM

Great shots!<br><br>I may have to give that a try.<br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 10:21 AM

Of course, using this method greatly reduces the size of objects in the mirror. My 24" iMac isn't the size of a laptop. Careful what you place in front of the mirror! <br><br>- alec -

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 10:35 AM

What's me wee little 20'' going to look like? <br><br>

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 10:40 AM

Are you referring to the iMac? <br><br>If not, your little 20" will look normal, compared to the rest of us. <br><br>- alec -

Re: new imac - 01/23/08 11:04 AM

the imac, yes, the imac!<br><br>The coolest thing was flying through space during the "welcome" video!<br><br>It was like 3 D<br><br>