MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple

Posted by: OSXaddict

MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 04:01 AM

For $129, they'll replace it. But still no spare battery on the road.<br><br>http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/<br><br>my photos
Posted by: polymerase

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:00 AM

Not bad. It would be nice if they could do this quickly in an AppleStore. Bummer it is not replaceable but that is what you get for being so thin. I think I will take thin.<br><br>There is going to be an after market emergency battery you can hook up to the USB port right?<br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:04 AM

An interesting comment on that page wondering if the owner could swap out the hard drive with a SSD drive when they become cheaper? It may become clear in a month that the MBA is a much better battery operated laptop with the SSD so it would be a nice route to take. Then you would also have an 80GB very small hard drive to stick in a tiny enclosure. Another aftermarket opportunity. A kit to make the now spare 80GB a very nice USB thumb drive.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:07 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Not bad.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Not bad? Why do you enjoy being a$$ raped by Apple with batteries? It's unacceptable the battery isn't replaceable. That has everything to do with greed, zero to do with being thin.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:25 AM

Since you haven't seen how this battery is smooshed in there like a cancerous tumor I believe you're talking out of your as[/i]s and please stop thinking of my as[i]s thank you. <br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:57 AM

lol... every battery is the same, it has two terminals. Those terminals don't really care if they're transferring electrons via contacts or soldered wires. Smooshing has nothing to do with it. The ipod battery is smooshed in there too. It's you who's talking from their ass, but hey I don't mind if you notice mine as it is quite nice ;)<br><br>Don't get me wrong, I think the airbook is a slick piece of ass. But the price should be $250 less because of the battery.<br><br>The only thing it has to do with is Apple making $100 pure profit off you for a battery. I replaced my iPod battery in 5 minutes for $89 less than Apple wanted me to give them to do it. <br><br>Maybe now Matt will see I'm frugal and lots of things and stop worrying so much about my computer purchases and worry more about yours ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 06:43 AM

Even if you could swap it out, there are 2 questions:<br>1. How much is a 64GB SSD drive?<br>2. Are they available to the general public right now?<br><br>I found this online:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sandisk today announced a 64 GB version of its previously introduced 1.8 solid state disk (SSD) drive.<br><br>The drive offers twice the capacity of 32 GB units, which are shipping in volume at this time and are sold through system vendors such as Dell. Scheduled for volume availability by the end of this year, the 64 GB version offers the same specifications as its smaller sister unit, which include a sustained data read rate of 67 MB/s and 7000 IOPS (inputs/outputs per second ) for a 512 byte transfer.<br><br>Sandisk claims that notebooks equipped with these NAND flash-based SSDs can boot Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise in as little as 30 seconds and access files at an average speed of 0.11 milliseconds. A comparable notebook using a hard disk requires an average 48 seconds to boot and an average 17 milliseconds to access files, Sandisk said.<br>The reliability of the SSDs is rated at 2 million hours mean time between failures (MTBF).<br><br><br>Sandisk is currently shipping 2.5 and 1.8 versions of its 32 GB SSDs for a reported $350 to system vendors. Consumers, however, pay more to be able to enjoy these drives: Dell, for example, sells the drive as an option for some of its notebooks and charges an extra $450 for the 1.8 drive.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You could wait a little longer and get the 128GB SSD card <br><br>my photos
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 06:46 AM

Every battery is not the same: this one is very wide and thin--and I suspect it also lacks a durable outer shell of its own. An interior view can be seen in the keynote, but a real takeapart gallery won't take long I'm sure.<br><br>We'll have the facts within 3 weeks, and we'll know just how rugged this thin battery is. But you already know the ONLY factor is greed? Apple must have lost their business sense: a new batt is an optional item for a specialized laptop that isn't the mainstream choice. Odd choice of scam. You'd think they'd charge something for installation, too.<br><br>If your concern is that Apple is preventing you from buying a NON-Apple version, I'm sure that will in fact be possible. Just wait for your warranty to end before you go monkeying inside.<br><br>I've never bought a second battery for a laptop. I want the battery to BE replaceable (and it is, and outside of warranty, third-party options will exist too). But I'm unlikely to do so.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 06:49 AM

Yes, and like the external optical drive, an external battery pack will give you added bulk only when you need it. But I bet it plugs into the power port instead <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 07:09 AM

Doh, forgot the mag port was over there on the other side. Which brings up my last question. The mag recahrger on the MBA is sleeker. Someone tell me that a mag recharger on a MBP will work on a MBA. The connection itself is small enough. If Apple redesigned that connection I will kill myself. I'm drowning in mag charge cords already and I don't want to buy another set. (I like to sprinkle them around so I don't have to carry it.)<br><br>Ah crap,<br>mag recharger for MBP 85w<br>mag recharger for MBA 45w<br>mag recharger for MacBook 65 w.<br><br>Another opportunity for a third party. Make a universal mag charger that can flip between these three watts.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 08:00 AM

I don't give a sh[i][/i]it what the battery looks like or how it's connected. No user-replaceable sucks, and Apple is raping people for replacing it. And anyone who thinks you won't be replacing it more than a few times in the life of the machine is smoking a special kind of crack!<br><br>No user-replaceable RAM is the same, and so it the hard drive.<br><br>There are just WAY too many limitations on this machine to cost that much. If this thing were $500-$700 it would be another story... but nearly $2,000 is flat-out stupid.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 08:23 AM

I imagine that the steep price is due in part to:<br><br> the 'new technology, get it here first, gottahavit' premium pays towards R&D<br> new, more compact technology costs more to make until it's manufactured/sourced in considerable bulk<br> more environmentally friendly electronic products cost more to make, which is why manufacturers don't already naturally do that (I bet the specially sourced, non-toxic glass screens don't come cheap)<br><br>For some people, the MBA is going to be perfect, because it's light but still has a big enough screen to demo stuff on to people in meetings or whatever - folk will either cough up for it because it's the best tool for their needs and pays for itself through increased productivity - or because it's cool and they want it. Fair enough.<br><br>Looks to me as though they couldn't have made it that thin if they'd wanted a user-swappable battery in there. If you need a mac that thin, it's worth it. If you just want a mac that thin, it's up to you, eh? <br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 08:34 AM

Your bullet points all make perfect sense, and are typical of new tech, especially from Apple - one only has to look at the iPhone price drop fiasco a while back for example.<br><br>However the rest of your comments are what makes me wonder what Apple is thinking.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>because it's light but still has a big enough screen to demo stuff on to people in meetings or whatever<p><hr></blockquote><p>So is the regular MacBook. The MBA isn't THAT much lighter and smaller - at least not enough to warrant such a huge price tag.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>folk will either cough up for it because it's the best tool for their needs and pays for itself through increased productivity<p><hr></blockquote><p>But because the MBA is no different than the regular MacBook, you can't do a single thing on it that you can't do on the cheaper MB. So when you consider how many things you CAN'T do with the MBA, how could you possibly increase productivity? The only thing different with it in the positive respect is that it's thinner - which cannot in any way increase productivity.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>or because it's cool and they want it. Fair enough.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, you've got a point there. Some people will spend money on "cool" no matter what. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If you need a mac that thin, it's worth it. <p><hr></blockquote><p>My questions is WHO is that person? Who needs a Mac that thin, and why? For example, I GET why people want a tablet Mac. Tablets are useful in many professions (such as the medical field), and while I have no use for it, I can certainly see why others can. <br><br>With the MBA, I simply can't think of a single niche market that NEEDS a full laptop that is just thinner than a regular laptop, but without so many features.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:34 AM

Sounds like the machine is not for YOU, so you assume it's wrong for everyone <br><br>Do you believe these limitations have nothing to do with the purpose of the machine--compactness?<br><br>Nobody cares what the battery looks like. We care that the resulting machine is thin.<br><br>My special kind of crack tells me I've never replaced a laptop battery. They get low enough to WANT a new battery, but not low enough to BUY a new battery, even at third-party prices. But third-party prices WILL surely be available for the MBA should I change my mind.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:40 AM

Define "need" vs. "want" any way you like... I don't get why anyone would "need" a tablet... but I DO "need" a 3lb. MacBook.<br><br>Luckily, I happen to respect that my needs don't speak for the world. Thus, I won't pitch a fit if Apple introduces a product someone ELSE wants and not me <br><br>As for price--look at the ultrathin/ultraportable 13" competition. Looking at other name bands, you won't find an exact comparison to the MBA's mix of features and (as is always needed to get smaller) compromises. Looking at the competition from other name bands, you also won't find anything cheap.<br><br>You may feel that an ultrathin like this should not exist on the planet, rather than just figuring it's not for you. But I don't see how you can argue it could have been done much cheaper.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:41 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My questions is WHO is that person? Who needs a Mac that thin, and why? For example, I GET why people want a tablet Mac. <p><hr></blockquote><p> Me. I hate carrying a laptop. If I can figure a way to not then I don't. If I give a talk and I know they will have a computer on the other end (and of course they do) I will copy the talk onto two thumb drives and put them in two separate pockets.<br><br>But if I had a nickel for every time I thought, "shoot, I wish I had my laptop" I would have a lot of nickels. Taking notes, changing a slide, looking up data, making me look smarter. I could do all that if I had one.<br><br>The 12 inch G4 MBP was close. But I still left it behind occasionally and paid for it. IS going from 7 to 5 to 3 pounds a big deal. For me, yes, a really big deal. I used the original Macintosh portable. It weighed the same amount as a cinder block. 16 pounds. I thought 7 pounds would be ideal. No. 3 pounds is not ideal either. I want it to be 2 pounds. But three will do.<br><br>So you ask how could an MBA possibly increase productivity? I would respond, "big time". Because having one is the key and at three pounds I will be more likely to have it. Anyone who has to get on a plane often with a laptop is going to eat these up.<br><br>Now you say you get why someone would want a tablet Mac. I would never want one. I guess we have different needs.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:45 AM

Well said.<br><br>And what's interesting is, as with many Apple products, those who need/want it don't think everyone is wrong who does NOT need/want it.<br><br>Yet some of those who don't need/want it just cannot stand that some do. I'm not certain why, but it's a pattern. Imagine going into a store for a heavy winter coat, and because you hate cold and don't mind the rain, you actually get upset that OTHER people are after rain coats! <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:50 AM

Same here - I tend not to take my MBP out with me on a whim because it weighs just that bit too much. I can see folk who are smaller or have bad shoulder/backs/wrists or just not much room in their briefcase will love this, regardless of the limitations, if they like macs.<br><br>Oh, and I've still yet to see anyone - well, frankly, anywhere - apart from Steve himself mentioning the eco-factor, or its impact on the manufacturing cost. It's all just 'wah, wah, I want a tiny thin mac with everything in it for hardly any money and it's not fair! Don't my years of loyalty count for anything?' Okay, I'm just blowing off a bit of steam there...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: FSM

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:54 AM

that's what i've been doing this year. i leave my MB at home and just take my iPhone and 2 thumb drives. i teach at 3:00 today and that's my plan once again.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:14 AM

You make an excellent point about the "green" features. It's gonna cost BIG. Everyone likes to yap it up how we should all be eco friendly but don't want to put the extra cost where their mouth is. If ya don't want to pay the increased costs then keep quiet how we should be helping the environment.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:22 AM

I sure would have loved something with less weight at the airports. Lugging my carry on got to be a real pain. literally. Then lifting it into the overhead compartment was a killer.<br><br>On the other hand, the MBA would not be for me and my uses since my laptop is my sole computer for an extended time. I can see for frequent flyer business uses though.<br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:52 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Every battery is not the same: this one is very wide and thin<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>So?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But you already know the ONLY factor is greed? <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>See your own reply to this question below.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If your concern is that Apple is preventing you from buying a NON-Apple version, I'm sure that will in fact be possible.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>If you're sure people will be able to buy their own battery and install it, then what good reason can Apple have for saying it's not replaceable?<br><br>Really.. Apple's smart enough to design a thin notebook, but not smart enough to figure out how to make the battery easily user replaceable? I find that incredibly hard to believe. A non-replaceable battery in a laptop borders on stupidity. There's nothing cool about walking into a presentation and having your battery die.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 12:16 PM

You're fishing for phrases to object to that I think you understand, but I'll bite once <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If you're sure people will be able to buy their own battery and install it, then what good reason can Apple have for saying it's not replaceable?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I'm not sure I understand your question. Macs have always had various parts that you CAN upgrade, but that Apple doesn't officially support. Maybe because it's not quick, simple, tool-free, and most-importantly, because it's not supported by warranty, so don't expect their help? The internal details will be known soon. (By the rest of us... you may already know )<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Apple's smart enough to design a thin notebook, but not smart enough to figure out how to make the battery easily user replaceable?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>That question doesn't make sense--and since you know Apple can figure out how to make a battery replaceable, I assume it's not a serious question. The legitimate question is: would it be AS thin if it were easily replaceable? I've mentioned the shell of the battery being one likely reason why thickness and replaceability are related. Are you certain that a user-replaceable battery has NO effect on thickness?<br><br>How about Firewire and onboard Ethernet? Maybe space for a little thicker (160 GB) 1.8" drive? Apple's "smart enough" to do all those things, so what's a little extra thickness?<br><br>Thin is purpose of this model, and that necessarily means compromise. I'd love a replaceable battery, three firewire ports, a 24" screen, and a terabyte RAID all in a palmtop. But reality means that you take stuff out to make something smaller. Apple chose different compromises than Sony chose.<br><br>You don't like the compromises. That doesn't make them a fiction, nor a conspiracy to scam a few bucks out of some tiny fraction of Mac users.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 12:51 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sounds like the machine is not for YOU, so you assume it's wrong for everyone<p><hr></blockquote><p>You've spent too much time at MC. Chill dude. I DON'T assume it wrong for everyone. I'm simply asking what "large target market" Apple thinks it IS for.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Do you believe these limitations have nothing to do with the purpose of the machine--compactness?<p><hr></blockquote><p>No I don't believe that. It's obvious that compactness is the only reason for the limitations. What I'm trying to get at is, to repeat myself, what large target market is willing to give up those features for simply to save a little size and weight.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Nobody cares what the battery looks like. We care that the resulting machine is thin.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Apparently you do, you're the one who brought it up.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My special kind of crack tells me I've never replaced a laptop battery.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'll turn the tables on you on that one. Just because YOU haven't replaced a battery, doesn't mean the rest of the world hasn't. My company has over 100 laptops in use, every single one of which has had at least one battery replacement in under a year and a half - some of the heavily used ones have had two or more. Granted, they use the hell out of them, some are probably never turned off... but still.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 01:05 PM

I would suggest YOUR company avoid MBAs (Sorry for using caps as a lazy man's italics--it does look like yelling.)<br><br>I brought up battery structure--not appearance for appearance sake.<br><br>Will attempt, in any case, to match your "chill" <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I can't think of a larger waste of money than the MacBook Air.<p><hr></blockquote><p><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't give a [censored] what the battery looks like or how it's connected. No user-replaceable sucks, and Apple is raping people for replacing it.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 01:21 PM

I'd go one better: I think all companies should put the kibosh on people with MBAs. Consider what that degree has done to the country. <br><br>About batteries, I have to agree with Giz--in fact, I just got a new one for my 12" PB cause the old one was dying after a half hour of use. On the other hand, the iPods too have batteries that supposedly can't be user-replaced, but then users do that all the time.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 01:31 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm not sure I understand your question. Macs have always had various parts that you CAN upgrade, but that Apple doesn't officially support.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>There's a huge difference between not supporting a person putting a 3rd party battery in their product, and making as hard as possible to do so. I don't care about 3rd party batteries, and I don't care about having a charged spare battery.<br><br>I care Apple wants me to hand over my machine to them for a week or so, and fork over $150 for a part I could and should easily replace myself when the battery craps in a year and a half.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The legitimate question is: would it be AS thin if it were easily replaceable? I've mentioned the shell of the battery being one likely reason why thickness and replaceability are related.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Yes. Why not? Asus makes a notebook where the battery is part of the shell of the computer. You can't tell there is even a battery that can be removed. <br><br>I see no reason the bottom of the airbook couldn't be the battery. By the same token, I see no reason the bottom couldn't simply pop off and there's the battery ripe for replacement. If there are 3rd party batteries that become available for the airbook, then Apple can do it.<br><br>We all know if you wanted to add airport to an iBook you just popped out the keyboard. If Apple had said users can't add the airport card, put in a non removeable keyboard and instead fork over $150 I'd have complained they were ripping users off that it's a part we could add ourselves. How many of you would be saying "Oh but there's no way it could be as thin if they let you do it!!"<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 01:34 PM

Look, I'm not trying to start an argument with you. Nor do I think the MBA will be a massive failure (though it could, similar to the Cube). What I'm trying to get at is that I just don't see what market this thing is targeted at.<br><br>We can look at the Mini and it's obvious what market that is for. The iMac, it's pretty plain to see. The MacPro, is for the pros. The MBA on the other hand, I just don't know. Is the market for the thing big enough? I can't see that many people who absolutely need the smallest laptop possible and are willing to sacrafice so many things and pay a huge premium for it. Please enlighten me if I'm missing an obvious large group of people/business who do need it. If you could net-boot the thing, I could actually see a bigger market, but you can't (yet).<br><br>I'm sure, much like all the other Apple products, the MBA will see a price reduction, feature additions, etc. and it will eventually find a place and value with a lot of people. It's probably also a sign of things to come from Apple (and other computer makers). <br><br>But like someone on another site asked: Right now, there is no way to actually upgrade the OS on the MBA. No media drive, no ethernet connection and no Firewire. So how is one supposed to reformat the drive and/or install a newer OS? Not everyone can afford to pay for even more stuff to go along with the MBA to accommodate the shortcoming. If I were betting, I would guess Apple has thought of that and is probably going to offer some kind of "over the Web" type of install thing. But if you buy one tomorrow, and this weekend it completely crashes, how do you fix it? <br><br>Or maybe they're working on a cheaper attachable media drive, etc. But then again, how to connect it? One USB port? I feel like Apple is making an awful lot of assumptions about it users that (right now) simply aren't true. Of course, a lot of people said the same thing about the original iMac with no floppy drive - but I think the vast majority of computer users DID in fact move past the use of floppy disks anyway by that point. I don't think we're there yet with DVDs.<br><br>And RAM limitation is a concern. A few OSX revisions back, you could run a G3 with 256MB of RAM acceptably. Try that now. OSX would probably gasp, fart and keel over. While 1gig is enough, 2gigs is **almost** the minimum to really enjoy all that OSX has to offer. The MBA probably isn't targeted for people who need more than 2GB of RAM, but you see what I'm getting at.<br><br>It's almost like Apple is making this computer for those who are Apple freaks (like me), who have a desktop Mac or two, have long-since gone wireless with networking, have high-speed internet, and love gadgets. Having all that, if I just needed a simple Web-surfing, emailing, presentation giving machine, the MBA is probably a good buy. But for me personally, I would rather spend $600-$700 less and get a MacBook and just accept the little bit of weight in my briefcase.<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 02:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'd go one better: I think all companies should put the kibosh on people with MBAs. Consider what that degree has done to the country.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That gets my vote! <br>My next door neighbor has both a law degree and a MBA degree, both of which were obtained before he finished school. He told me that he couldn't possibly do, in good conscience, what what they were teaching them to do in business school so he chose to practice law.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 02:18 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What I'm trying to get at is that I just don't see what market this thing is targeted at.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I think it's targeted to people like me, who'd like something portable to complement their desktop machine but aren't willing to have a notebook as a main computer because they hate notebooks.<br><br>The problem there is, I spend a lot on my desktops. So, if there's really no way in hell I'm spending $1700 for a notebook, I'm not spending $1700 on what is essentially a crippled version of a notebook.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 02:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I see no reason the bottom of the airbook couldn't be the battery.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>In the keynote slides, it looked to me as though the aluminium shell is, amongst other things, a heat sink for the logic board and cpu - the battery was well away from that section, and there was a fan in there anyway. Making the whole base be the battery would probably lead to overheating of the cpu.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Mike

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 02:29 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There are just WAY too many limitations on this machine to cost that much. If this thing were $500-$700 it would be another story... but nearly $2,000 is flat-out stupid.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I agree! <br>The 'thinness' may be a 'cool' thing but this notebook isn't going anywhere!<br>A 'dud', IMHO!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 02:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>In the keynote slides, it looked to me as though the aluminium shell is, amongst other things, a heat sink for the logic board and cpu<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>ahhh... I didn't see the keynote. So that means hot nuts! :)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 03:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My next door neighbor has both a law degree and a MBA degree, both of which were obtained before he finished school. He told me that he couldn't possibly do, in good conscience, what what they were teaching them to do in business school so he chose to practice law.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p> I hear good fences make good neighbors. I would add razor wire.<br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:39 PM

Supposedly you can boot from Remote Disc. You certainly can from the external (which Apple offers) if you have no other machine.<br><br>The market is people who value thin and light above all else. Likely they already have a primary computer--only a few will use an MBA as their sole machine.<br><br>I disagree about the need to have 4GB vs. 2GB being widespread. And slotted RAM is yet another thing to take up space.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 05:58 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There's a huge difference between not supporting a person putting a 3rd party battery in their product, and making as hard as possible to do so.<p><hr></blockquote><p>First, we don't know how hard it is. Where is your information on that? What we can at least guess is that it's not consumer-friendly like having an eject tab. Second, I find it more likely that the design (100 models they went through behind the scenes) was driven more by thinness as a goal, rather than by thinking how they could make unsupported part swaps harder.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If there are 3rd party batteries that become available for the airbook, then Apple can do it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>The 3rd-party batteries won't be nice sturdy things you can toss in a bag. They'll be replacements, not spares, and they won't be easy to put in. They will be asking for trouble for many users, who would therefore be well served by having Apple put it in. The one-week turnaround for that procedure is your guess, but not yet known. I'm sure, for some in remote areas, that is possible, and would be a reason to choose a different model.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> How many of you would be saying "Oh but there's no way it could be as thin if they let you do it!!"<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ummm.... the iBook wasn't design with the goal of being ultrathin and ultralight.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I see no reason the bottom of the airbook couldn't be the battery<p><hr></blockquote><p>We know Apple's engineers went through a lot of decisions in the past 2 years. We don't know what they are. We do know every part of the design has an effect on other parts of the design, and then no one decision stands alone. Saying something is possible is easy. If actually making it happen is easy, you should send your resume to Apple <br><br>I see two POSSIBLE (and I claim no more than possible) categories of problems with a removable battery in a machine is wide AND thin as the MBA (which the Asus is not):<br><br>1. Problems with the battery itself. We know the battery takes up most of the surface area of the machine. We know it's super thin--at most, it's as thick as half the clamshell minus the aluminum shell. We can also guess that--for the "thin" reason once again--it lacks the rigid plastic shell that familiar replaceable batteries are contained in. It has some kind of shell, but not as thick and sturdy as the batt on a MacBook or Pro. And yet because of its huge surface area, it could use a MORE rigid case, not less. So, super thin--much thinner than the MBA itself--and super wide, and containing hazardous materials. Sound like something people ought to be throwing into backbacks? It probably lacks a heavy-duty connection mechanism too (again--size and weight). Even if Apple forbade people from carrying spares, the swap could easily break the battery or the connection upon installation. Sounds just like the kind of issue that has made other parts non-user-serviceable in the past.<br><br>2. Problems with the computer. This computer is wider and thinner that the laptops you are thinking of. Its shell is vital to it remaining rigid, protecting its internals, closing properly, and withstanding the weight of user's arms (which are right over the battery--a logical choice, since a battery can be squeezed into a tight wedge while ports and chips and drives and fans cannot). Saying you can separate a big part (more than half) of that shell and not lose rigidity is making a big assumption. Unless you add additional structure. Additional thickness and additional weight.<br><br>Let me be clear that I think it's possible Apple designed the MBA battery with NO goals in mind other than scamming certain customers out of $30, charing $129 for a battery that should be $99, or whatever. Possible--just highly unlikely given that there are OTHER possible and reasonable explanations too.<br><br>It seems you feel there are NO other possible explanations, and that size and weight are without doubt NO factor in the battery design. We'll have to disagree on that point.<br><br>P.S. The MacBook Air isn't crippled for my usage. Which is pretty broad as it happens. It certainly is crippled for some users' needs. Any ultraportable will be. And yet people buy them, making the trade-offs that suit their own goals best.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 06:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Supposedly you can boot from Remote Disc. You certainly can from the external (which Apple offers) if you have no other machine.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And both of those require you to spend more money, in the case of another Mac, a LOT more money. And boot from an external how? If the MBA is your only Mac, how do you install the OS on the external in the first place, since once again, you have no DVD drive. I guess you could get an external DVD drive, but the only way to connect it is the single USB port, which probably won't have enough power to run the DVD drive, or run the battery down to nothing in the process.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>The market is people who value thin and light above all else.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Right. But WHO are THOSE people? What do they do for a living? WHY do they need light and thin above all else? Obviously there are those people, but is there a lot of them (enough to sustain the business model Apple is going with)? I'm just curious. Every other model I can think of a very large target market, but I can't for the MBA.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Likely they already have a primary computer--only a few will use an MBA as their sole machine.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's exactly what I think too. But I also think that the market of current Mac owners looking for a crippled laptop as a second computer isn't as big as it would need to be in order to justify the costs of the R&D, manufacturing and sales of the MBA. I don't know, and I'm obviously speculating. But we aren't talking about a "cheap" second computer here. For that kind of money, most people I know would want a little more bang for their buck. Granted, the people I know are mostly in the design field.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>I disagree about the need to have 4GB vs. 2GB being widespread.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I didn't say 4GB, nor that it was widespread. I said that in reality, 2GB is just enough to acceptably run the OS and some minor apps. For anyone who wanted to do more, I think 2GB is not really optimal. But as you've said, this is probably not the "main" computer for those folks, so maybe it's a moot point.<br><br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 06:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I guess you could get an external DVD drive, but the only way to connect it is the single USB port, which probably won't have enough power to run the DVD drive, or run the battery down to nothing in the process.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Apple has a USB SuperDrive for it for $99. It's bus powered.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 07:01 PM

By the time the battery dies, the computer will be obsolete anyways. <br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 09:42 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But WHO are THOSE people? What do they do for a living? WHY do they need light and thin above all else?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm guessing you can't pin the desire (not always "need") for thin and light on just one or a few demographics/industries. Just like a broad range of people will value speed or other general specs. A broad range will value portability. (Which is actually a major reason why people buy portables.) Some will be students, some businesspeople, some travelers, some who just like to roam their house or visit friends. The ultraportable segment--always with SOME compromises--has existed before Apple, and is not cheap. A general reason why many might value thin and light above SOME other things is that a MacBook Air doesn't really give up anything they personally need:<br><br>I'll use my MBA the same way I use my iMac that has "only" 2 GB. ("just enough to acceptably run the OS and some minor apps" ?) I'll use it for programming, 3D modeling, animation, video editing, photo processing, illustration, web development, word processing, business management, Web, email, watching TV, listening to music and gaming. (But not UE3!) I'll run Photoshop, Lightwave 3D, Flash, Illustrator, Director, RealBasic, Unity, iPhoto, GarageBand, Google Earth, EyeTV, Unreal Tournament 2004, and even the occasional dip into Windows XP. The same things people have done with less than 1.5 Ghz dual cores and less than 2 GB. The same things you can do BETTER or FASTER (and sometimes even notice this) if you have 2GHz and 4GB. But you don't need those specs. (What you do need is a computer, and if you've left your laptop behind because it's heavy and a beast, you have 0 GHz and 0 GB. Everyone has a threshhold for when it's "worth" lugging the laptop along. Size and weight changes that threshhold. This matters to some people more than it matters to others. Is that a surprise?)<br><br>There's actually very little that a 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo "can't do" even with "only" 2 GB RAM. It's "crippled" by your definition--not by everyone's. It's surely crippled if you intend to have it as your ONLY computer and wish to import from a DV camcorder.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> For anyone who wanted to do more, I think 2GB is not really optimal.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Now we agree. 4GB (or 8GB with 16 cores) would be more "optimal" for lots of things. But you CAN do those things well and fall short of "optimal." For that matter a tower is probably optimal for lots of things. You make sacrifices to get a portable. You make a few more to get an ultrathin. If the sacrifices are too great, and the benefit too low to be worth the price, you choose a different model.<br><br>I definitely agree with you on one thing too: the MBA's market is smaller than the market for their other models. I'm not worried that Apple will fail to pay for their R&D, and you shouldn't worry either: even if they don't, the company will stay afloat. I'll gladly enjoy the fruits of this venture even if it fails to be profitable I'll also enjoy the many future fruits of a company that dares to release products that are different from the expected categories. I'm sure you don't want to see an Apple that stops taking risks. Still, if I had to guess, I'd say this WILL pay for itself and make a profit. It will sell well--not like the mainstream models, but well enough. And its R&D cost--not to mention mindshare and press attention--will contribute to future products beyond just itself.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Every other model I can think of a very large target market, but I can't for the MBA.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Define "very large." By my definition of "very large," no very large market exists for 160 GB iPods, or fully loaded XServes, or a million other things. Who cares? They need a market, not a "very large" one.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And boot from an external how? If the MBA is your only Mac, how do you install the OS on the external in the first place, since once again, you have no DVD drive. I guess you could get an external DVD drive, but the only way to connect it is the single USB port, which probably won't have enough power to run the DVD drive, or run the battery down to nothing in the process.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You may be ranting against the details of something you haven't looked into the details of <br><br>First solution: you need not have a Mac. The MBA will read DVDs through a WIndows PC too.<br><br>Second solution: http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html<br>"Play or burn discs directly with the external USB-based MacBook Air SuperDrive. Thin, light, and easy to take with you, this drive is designed specifically for MacBook Air."<br><br>And a solution dedicated just to the question of how you install an OS without the DVD running down the battery: you plug the laptop in--just like any other.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:24 PM

Teeheehee. My sister and one of my cousins are both doing their MBAs and well...neither are quite certain that everything they are being taught have anything to do with reality. Good healthy skepticism.<br><br>And me, long time ago I come to the conclusion that most economists have their heads up their asses so far up. They've lost touch with reality a long time ago, as most analysts' statements sound like they just smoked crack, then give an analysis which then goes wrong so then they're explaining what went wrong in the first place...or even worse, they often give analysis that can be interpreted in a variety of ways, depending on who's listening/reading. "Wow, So what you''re actually saying is that the stock market is either up or down by the end of the year depending on the development of global consumption. Fascinating." So, you see, it isn't what that degree has done just to the US, but just about any country. <br><br>And then law...I hate hearing lawyers parroting their legal mumbo jumbo.<br><br>Not that us in the digital realm are much better. Some of the multimedia work I've been involved with, was just about selling the client some overpriced crap implemented with totally wrong kind of software for what their needs were for in the first place, but our sales group (yup, MBA degree) at the time sold it to them, and we had to implement it with the company's own software and all the while I was thinking how easier, faster and more sense it would make to do all that in Flash or Dreamweaver instead of the crappy company software we had. OTOH, I got paid, so fine. And I haven't worked there for a few years so I'm glad.<br><br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:43 PM

Personally, I would've liked to see a tablet computer from Apple, instead of MBA. I'm guessing one of their goals was to beat Sony on the ultraportable, as Vaios have been, IMO, competing with PowerBooks and now the MBPs since their beginning. They are pretty much in the same price range and have roughly similar specs. And so, Sony has an ultraportable VAIO out, as well as Fujitsu had their small portables already years ago, but the small VAIO is, from what I've heard -- a friend advised me to see and feel one if I come across, it's supposedly light -- and well, that's where Steve was referring in his keynote as well. So, obviously there is a niche target market for ultraportables, which Apple now wanted to get a shot at, too. And obviously Sony is/has been making the lightest ultraportables thus far. And well, the whole point of ultraportable is to be ultraportable as a few already in this thread have said. The MBA is definitely not for video pros, that's what the lacking FW already tells me, but my take also on this is, many are willing to make sacrifices in certain features over light weight and portability, not to mention the financial sacrifice.<br><br>I'd dig a tablet from Apple, and I thought that would be ideal for most creative pros like industrial designers and graphic designers. I was surprised by Giz's claim about tablets, btw.<br><br>But back to MBA, I believe my gf would be perfectly fine with one. She now has this clunky Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo laptop she mainly uses for websurfing and word processing, and the occasional DVD, well, she does rip CDs on it, but that's about it. And with her arthritis something more lightweight would be great. I tried it for Photoshop, but the screen wasn't up for that. Well, it does have a nice feel to the keyboard...but anyways, I'm betting she'd be very happy with an ultraportable and her needs won't even require that much processing power nor memory.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:43 PM

All professions have their jargon and their "mysteries" (aka BS). But not all professionals are as potentially harmful as are lawyers and MBA "consultants." A lot of the lawyers I know are really quite aware of the silliness of what they spout and the danger that it can represent. And most definitely the people in my profession are fully aware of their own irrelevance. To tell the truth, I don't know anyone personally who is a business consultant, so I don't know if they're just as alive to their own idiocy as other folks are, and it's hard to judge on the basis of what you see them do when they are on stage, so to speak. But still . . . I think your description of the location of economists' heads is crack on <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: drjohn

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/16/08 10:58 PM

"Keep Your CEO Out Of Grad School "<br><br>Especially Harvard and Columbia! <br><br>Think formal education helps in business...r than lawyers.<br><br><br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/17/08 12:09 AM

A tablet sounds REALLY cool and fun. I'd love to see Apple make one, and I know I'm not alone.<br><br>And yet... at the end of the day I wouldn't buy one, and I think most fans of the "idea" wouldn't either. Not now. Conventional apps (the ones I rely on daily) are best used with a precision pointing device that doesn't need a lot of tiring arm travel. And a real keyboard. The tablet form factor is great if you need a full-size screen and yet you need work standing up! Nice for freehand sketching too. Otherwise.... they're still cool and fun. (A convertible tablet gives you the best of both--at added cost and bulk.) There's a reason tablets are seen in certain industries (hospitals, delivery services) but have never caught on for the general public.<br><br>Now, pocket tablets--with their OWN apps, not trying to be a conventional computer--those I would buy. And I will. And it will have a phone in it... and they already make them Something slightly bigger than an iPhone but still pocketable and still using its OWN apps rather than being a "Mac" or "PC" might be very useful too. But a full tablet? I bet that will useful (and even common) some day, with its own UI grown from the iPhone. The iPhone SDK will be a step. But that's in the future. Right now, while a tablet's apps would mainly be regular desktop apps, I don't see it happening.<br><br>I do believe Apple has worked on a tablet device, but I don't expect them to ship anything like that soon. Maybe in two years or more. MAYBE in one if the iPhone software platform exposed. But Jan 08? Too soon. Touchscreens are best in pocket devices for now.<br><br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: eckhard

Function following Form? - 01/17/08 03:24 AM

<br>I guess that's when design becomes styling, isn't it?<br>That wasn't usually the case with Apple products.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/17/08 05:47 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What we can at least guess is that it's not consumer-friendly like having an eject tab.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Yeah, well that's making it hard for the consumer, isn't it? :)<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>They'll be replacements, not spares, and they won't be easy to put in.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Yeah, I was talking replacement, not spares. Lithium batteries are pretty much dead in a scant 2-3 years. By making it hard to put in... that's ensuring a revenue source for Apple. What's so difficult to understand? It's not like this thing is 2mm thick. Customers should expect the battery be easily replaceable on a piece of equipment that costs $1700.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/17/08 02:36 PM

I'm sure the battery replacement "windfall" has such a big effect on Apple bottom line that it was worth adding yet one MORE criteria the 2-year engineering challenge of the MacBook Air I hope the stock analysts have factored in that boon.<br><br>I just don't see the business model there.<br><br>And you could say customers expect anything for $1700. Those that expect a battery swap at home should choose a different model.<br><br>It seems that you are trying hard to find a definite scam, where a slightly possible one exists.<br><br>P.S. A curved surface has strength--ask an egg. It seems to me that a removable battery that was part of the actual laptop structure would have to leave a curved surface behind--not a flat one--or else (more likely) quite a thick floor. Otherwise the computer would bend without the support. One more reason the thin-and-light challenge isn't as simple as you like to think. (And one more reason why no OTHER company has managed what you're saying is so easy: something this thin WITH a swappable battery... and a decent number of hours of life at that.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/17/08 04:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>(And one more reason why no OTHER company has managed what you're saying is so easy: something this thin WITH a swappable battery... and a decent number of hours of life at that.)<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>To cram and smoosh this non user changeable battery into every nook and cranny without adding a bunch of thickness and weight by making it replacable is the answer to this absurd argument. People who want light and thin will pay for an Apple tech to peel this battery out of an MBA. Apple did their homework.<br><br>Let's do the math. 89 for a replaceable, 129 for the nonreplaceble. So I am paying 40 bucks extra possibly once maybe even twice if I hold onto it for 5 years (but by then it would usually be a tethered computer. <br><br>By my calculator I am paying 2 years, 40 bucks or two dollars a month extra for a much thinner and lighter computer. If it turns out I do use my computer two dollars more per month because I might have it instead of leaving it home then Apple did their homework.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/19/08 08:02 AM

I'll take AppleInsider's "source" with salt until I see a takeapart, but it sounds as though the non-user-serviceable MBA battery may be an issue of fragility when out of the machine, rather than an issue of time or difficulty. Apple supposedly hasn't done anything to make 3rd-party batteries hard to install:<br><br>http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/...ly_minutes.html<br><br>Once flipped upside down, the MacBook Air's bottom cover is easily unscrewed and removed, providing immediate access to the battery cavity. From there, the battery can be unscrewed from the chassis with the same screwdriver and unplugged from the circuit board with a simple tug -- it's not soldered to the board. <br><br>The entire process, according to those in the known, can be completed by any service technician in as little as three minutes. <br><br>For its part, Apple has announced its intent to offer a MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program, which promises authorized replacements for US $129. The mail-in repair process normally takes 5 business days, the company says.<br><br>Given the simplicity of the upgrade, however, it's possible that Apple will in time offer the service on-demand at its retail stores. Similarly, third parties could also offer in-home do-it-yourself kits should they be able to acquire battery cells that meet Apple's standard for the MacBook Air.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/19/08 08:36 AM

That makes sense. To lose the weight the battery is likely a floppy flimsy thing. Since it puts out 37 watts and the charger pushes 65 watts into it a sloppy install and you have an expensive campfire. Apple wants an Apple Tech doing it to keep end users from roasting their weenies.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/19/08 09:36 AM

BTW I see that Amazon's hourly-updated top-selling notebooks list has nothing but Apple machines and Asus in the top 12. The MacBook Air pre-order is #4 and #12. (The second model being 1.8 Ghz, not the SSD config from Apple.com.)<br><br>The surprise to me, though, is the "people who viewed this item actually bought..." section. Of course, most people who view something on Amazon probably buy nothing at all, which they don't track for you. But of the people who did buy something after viewing the MBA, 79% got the MBA (the cheaper model).<br><br>Must be Amazon's generous $5 discount <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: docmacps

Re: MacBook Air battery can be replaced by Apple - 01/28/08 05:30 AM

The consumer SSD market just ISN'T REALLY THERE yet. And nothing over 32gb readily available at this point. I setup a site: <a href="http://ssd-solid-state-drives.com/?ID=MacMin">http://www.ssd-solid-state-drives.com/ </a> to try to address the interest in SSD - and it's been hard finding any product to link TO. The current generation of flash hard drives are SLOW compared to what will ship in 2008 and beyond. But there's this huge HOLD-OUT I think by the mfrs: Say Samsung released thier 64gb 128gb SSD and name's thier price-point - and then Toshiba will announce a price undercut - same capacity $50 less - and the consumer market pricing bloodbath will begin. The 1st out of the gate will get undercut IMMEDIATELY - and they'll all scramble to keep thier margins and R&D costs. It's going to be a very interesting year ahead for SSD in the consumer drive market.... Given how fast the next-generation solid state drives are going to be, drop-in 2.5" form-factor replacements for other MacBook-Pro-PowerBooks are going to have alot of appeal. And for those with nerves of steel wanting to replace the 1.8" hard drive in a MacBook AIR, there'll certainly be opportinites to add an SSD for ALOT less than the $1300 premium apple now charges.<br><br>