Photo Printer Advice

Posted by: charlie

Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 11:06 AM

Hola, all!<br><br>I need a new photo printer. It should be small and not too expensive. I'll be using it for colour and B&W prints, possibly for exhibition.<br><br>The other option is to use an online printing service for bigger prints. I'd like to be able to make A3 sized prints.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 11:16 AM

if you are going to exhibit your prints, you should get it done online. Cheaper by far and really good quality.<br><br>Mpix.com, smugmug.com and others have really good rates. <br><br>I thought about getting a printer myself, but the problem is that you have to calibrate it to your monitor, and the inks are $$$$ for a very good printer.<br><br>my photos
Posted by: charlie

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 11:29 AM

That's what I was thinking. A large format printer is out of my price range.<br><br>I'm looking at ImageKind right now, because they integrate with Flickr, but I can stand some more uploading for cheaper prices.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 12:31 PM

Definately check out Mpix.com<br><br>my photos
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 03:24 PM

To do them yourself, for A3 prints, the HP B9180 probably comes closest to what you want.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/10/08 07:37 PM

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the prints I've ordered from iPhoto. Another thing I like is that it warns you if the size of the print you're ordering is too big for the resolution of the photo you are using, so that you can move down to a smaller size to get a better end result. I also like the ease of using the "one-click" feature. I ordered a couple of custom wall calendars made from my photos on Saturday and they were here by Wednesday, which is a pretty fast turnaround. <br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/11/08 09:30 AM

Charlie,<br><br>I gotta reiterate what others have said here. In my experience, printing photos is a huge loosing proposition is almost anyway you look at it (other than the instant gratification aspect). The cost of ink is just too damn expensive. I think that it's a total racket.<br><br>Donna suggested the service provided through iPhoto. I gotta agree.<br><br>I doubt I'll never print a photo again. Just got a laser printer for text, and I'm good to go.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Photo Printer Advice - 01/11/08 10:23 AM

Yup... iPhoto for me, too. After the first order, I determined the required contrast/saturation levels for great image quality and now really appreciate the service.<br><br>- alec -