Nagromme...Ultra-portable?

Posted by: Topper

Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 06:33 AM

5 days until Apple's Ultra-portable.<br>What are your plans and expectations?<br><br>Sounds like Apple is ready to bring out a new MacBook Pro line with Mobile Penryn possessors. <br>That will mean less power consumption, longer battery life, and up to 40% increase in speed.<br><br><br>
Posted by: ichi

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 07:25 AM

you know for all we have expected in the past that didn't show up *that day (in keynote)*, i'm starting to doubt this major rumorwill appear at MW08.<br><br>i really hope it does. if it does, 45nm, mb 16gb flash, 13" oled screen, leopard. mb no ilife.<br><br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 07:31 AM

I think it is going to happen this time. <br>The rumor sites are just too hot and heavy for it not to happen.<br><br>I'd like to see a larger hard drive and a smaller (12 inch) screen.<br><br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 07:59 AM

not me, actually i like a 15" and a more flashmem.<br><br>heck with penryn the new 15 is likely what i want, actually i want the 15" nehalem. but can i wait until fall?<br><br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 09:45 AM

If you can wait for Nehalem it will be worth it.<br>Nehalem will have three times the peak memory bandwidth of the current Penryn processors.<br>I could not wait, I bought a Harpertown Mac Pro.<br>But I am not complaining, the new Harpertown Mac Pro is an absolute beast!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: max_walker

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 10:45 AM

With iTouch and phone out there its got to be connected to AT&T like any phone - no external modem - just iphone interface 'and boom' - as SJ would say.<br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 10:53 AM

and nehalem will have the new/next gen after santa rosa the name esacpes me, help me out?<br><br>beast, no doubt. i envy you.<br><br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 11:39 AM

You are probably thinking about Montevina.<br>Montevina will launch sometime in Q2/2008. <br>But Montevina will be a Penryn processor. <br>I think they will change the name when Nehalem comes out in Q4/2008.<br><br>I have heard very, very good things about Montevina.<br>It will be interesting to see how it all ties in with Nehalem.<br><br>Thank you, but you will not envy my bank account <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/10/08 08:54 PM

Yet another rumor but nothing much new...<br><br> * Apple will announce its first compact notebook with an LED-based display. Although it’s not definite, a 13” display size seems most likely. LED displays are environmentally friendly, since they’re mercury free and emit more light than traditional displays while using less power. In general terms, properly tuned LED displays can also light up quicker, last longer and produce a wider color gamut than traditional displays. <br><br> * Apple will introduce a super-slim metallic notebook. This notebook may be coupled with the LED display described above. Although less likely, there’s also a possibility that Apple will debut its use of a NAND flash solid state drive in place of a traditional hard drive. NAND flash is used in digital camera memory cards and USB flash drives. The advantages of NAND flash memory include reduced hard drive noise, improved speed, increased battery life and higher reliability, due to the lack of mechanical components.<br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/11/08 09:54 AM

that's it, which means apparently this summer on a penryn.<br><br>or i can try to wait for clarksfield/callpela --but that 2009 then i'd wanting the 32nm!<br><br>what's the rule? buy when in final dire need... or... when you CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! ;)<br><br><br>[color:green]ichi</font color=green><br><br>"[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>"<br><br><br>libertarian communist ~ ichi youtube<br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 02:35 PM

I want it to cost as much as possible--a real pro unit--packing as much power (and lighted keys) as possible into the smallest space with the smallest screen. I want a clamshell, not a tablet, though, and no HD or internal optical.<br><br>I suspect Apple is not planning such a high-end, niche extreme, so we'll see if I like their compromise! 13" and very thin might be fine. The rumored "MacBook Air" name is as good as any, to me.<br><br>The standard I am measuring against: a $2100-$3700 (without even including Vista Ultimate!) Sony VAIO TZ:<br><br>http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ategoryId=16154<br><br>The critical specs I want to match or beat from that:<br><br>11" screen (9-13" is acceptable, but please no huge wasted margin)<br>1366x768 res (higher preferred)<br>48-64GB flash drive (or more GB in a 1.8" HD for the sake of price)<br>Built-in camera, BT, WiFi<br>1.33 GHz dual core (Santa Rosa / Penryn ideally)<br>And most importantly: .8" thick and 68 to 99.5 cubic inches (McBook is 123 cu. in. for comparison)<br><br>I don't care about memory stick, nor Sprint mobile broadband unless really cheap. (I'm OK tethering to an iPhone, which should be possible one day.) Fingerprint reader is neat but not a big deal for me. Any new "multitouch" laptop stuff sounds pretty minor to me (like a new zoom shortcut) so I don't much care at this point whether those rumors have any basis.<br><br>The ideal might have a 13.3" 1280x800 screen, but so thin that it still has a volume similar to Sony's 11" model. Since I'm willing to give up some ports (docking stations meet that need) maybe it's remotely possible.<br><br>I'd want GMA X3100 graphics (with better drivers to come I hope), not the GMA 950 Sony still uses. I'd love real VRAM, but with 2GB RAM I can accept that sacrifice. I have my iMac for gaming anyway.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br><br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 03:25 PM

Those specifications seem reasonable to me.<br>The flash drive is questionable. Maybe it will be a Nand flash drive with a Hard drive.<br>Here are some of the latest Intel mobile processors. <br>Maybe one or more will be the processor of the ultraportable.<br>I will look a little more into it and get back to you.<br><br>The first processor is an ultra low voltage Merom processor, the rest are Penryns.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 04:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I want it to cost as much as possible--a real pro unit--packing as much power (and lighted keys) as possible into the smallest space with the smallest screen. I want a clamshell, not a tablet, though, and no HD or internal optical.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I agree and I hope it comes to pass. Instead, rumors are a 13 inch in a 19x6 format (not that bad) and a price of $1,500 (actually I am bummed at the low price because that means there is going to be a hard drive in there and not 60GB of flash).<br><br>For a company that seems to know high end Apple sure does seem to stumble when they go for ultra thin light weight completely tricked out computer with long battery life. I want to have to sign a statement that the batteries enclose may occasionally catch fire but they are the thinnest most powerful batteries made. OK with me. <br><br>If it can fit into a inside pocket of a sports coat (I can get a pocket made a little longer) I am all in. I tell apple strip it all down. Add a slim dock connector and kill us with add ons to get bluray and more disk space and a bigger screen but make the thing thin and light. (OK the light up keys would be cool too for a crappy typer.)<br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 05:03 PM

Sounds great! But my hopes are low, since I like to buck the tradition among Mac forum-goers: I don't assume my needs match the majority :)<br><br>The compromise could be more palatable with enough BTO options--like a 1.8" HD standard, but solid state available BTO.<br><br>Rumors regarding price I do not buy at all. That's up in the air as far as I'm concerned. Most will be happy to see it low. I want high! (Though maybe not as high as Sony's 4 grand!)<br><br>Topper - thanks for the chart. I'll be hoping for 2.x Ghz!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br><br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 06:16 PM

8,050 posts, huh?! <br><br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/13/08 11:39 PM

(8050? Who?)<br><br>OK, here are the specs (whether standard or optional) that will get me to buy. I would consider less only at the right price or with other compensating features. But I will be disappointed if I can't get:<br><br>* 2 GHz dual core Penryn / Santa Rosa chipset<br><br>* GMA X3100 graphics<br><br>* Less than 100 cubic inches<br><br>* Screen no smaller than 8", no larger than 13.3", with minimal wasted margin<br><br>* Some or all flash storage, no matter the cost<br><br>* 32 GB minimum total storage (since OS X alone takes around half that)<br><br>* 2 GB RAM<br><br>* Built-in camera<br><br>* $2500 or less depending on exact specs.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/14/08 06:36 AM

That sure looks doable to me.<br>I see you upped the processor's speed a little.<br><br>1 day, 2 hours, 24 minutes and we will know. Good luck.<br><br>(can't even reach 500 for an avatar)<br><br><br>

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/14/08 10:49 AM

Ah yes, on MR. And ALMOST that many on the old MacCentral!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: Nagromme...Ultra-portable? - 01/14/08 11:12 AM

You got it <br><br>