Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro!

Posted by: OSXaddict

Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 05:52 AM

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/08macpro.html<br><br>Apple Introduces New Mac Pro<br>Fastest Mac Ever—Eight Processor Cores Standard<br><br>CUPERTINO, California—January 8, 2008—Apple® today introduced the new Mac® Pro with eight processor cores and a new system architecture that delivers up to twice the performance of its predecessor*. The new Mac Pro combines two of Intel’s new 45 nanometer Quad-Core Xeon processors running up to 3.2 GHz, powerful new graphics and up to 4TB of internal storage to offer the ideal system for creative professionals, 3D digital content creators and scientists. The standard 8-core configuration starts at just $2,799.<br><br>“The new Mac Pro is the fastest Mac we’ve ever made,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “With 3.2 GHz 8-core Xeon processing, a 1600 MHz front side bus and 800 MHz memory, the new Mac Pro uses the fastest Intel Xeon architecture on the market.”<br><br>The new Mac Pro features the latest Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 series processors based on state-of-the-art 45nm Intel Core microarchitecture running up to 3.2 GHz, each with 12MB of L2 cache per processor for breakthrough performance and power efficiency. With a new high-bandwidth hardware architecture, dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses and up to 32GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM memory, the new Mac Pro achieves a 61 percent increase in memory throughput**.<br><br>Every Mac Pro comes standard with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card with 256MB of video memory. The Mac Pro includes a new PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot that delivers up to double the bandwidth compared to the previous generation, and supports the latest generation of graphics cards from NVIDIA, such as the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of video memory, or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with 1.5GB of video memory and a 3-D stereo port for stereo-in-a-window applications. With support for up to four graphics cards, the new Mac Pro can drive up to eight 30-inch displays at once for advanced visualization and large display walls.<br><br>The Mac Pro is the most expandable Mac ever, featuring four internal hard drive bays with direct-attach, cable-free installation of four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives, totaling 4TB of internal storage and support for two SuperDrives. With optional 15000 rpm SAS drives that can deliver up to 250MB/s of RAID 5 disk I/O performance, the Mac Pro is ideal for film and video editors. Combined with SATA or SAS drives, using an optional Mac Pro RAID card offers the ultimate data protection and disk I/O performance on the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is easily and conveniently accessible in front and back so users can connect external devices with five USB 2.0, two FireWire® 400, two FireWire 800, optical and analog audio in and out, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports and a headphone jack.<br><br>Every Mac Pro includes Leopard™, the sixth major release of the world’s most advanced operating system. Leopard is packed with more than 300 new features and introduces a brand new desktop with Stacks, a new way to easily access files from the Dock; a redesigned Finder that lets users quickly browse and share files between multiple Macs; Quick Look, a new way to instantly see files without opening an application; Spaces, an intuitive new feature used to create groups of applications and instantly switch between them; and Time Machine™, an effortless way to automatically back up everything on a Mac. Featuring an improved scheduler and other multi-core technology, Leopard is a perfect companion to the Mac Pro, making applications faster and helping application developers take advantage of multi-core systems.<br><br>The new ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard now ships with every Mac Pro and built-in Bluetooth 2.0 makes it easy to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.<br><br>Pricing & Availability<br>The new Mac Pro is shipping today and will be available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.<br><br>The standard 8-core Mac Pro, with a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), includes:<br><br> * two 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors with dual-independent 1600 MHz front side buses;<br> * 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM memory, expandable up to 32GB;<br> * ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory;<br> * 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm;<br> * 16x SuperDrive™ with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);<br> * two PCI Express 2.0 slots and two PCI Express slots;<br> * Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; and<br> * ships with Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse.<br><br>In addition to the standard configuration, the Mac Pro offers numerous build-to-order options including: one 2.8 GHz, two 3.0 GHz, or two 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors; up to 32GB of 800 MHz DDR2 fully-buffered ECC memory; up to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm or up to four 300GB SAS drives running at 15000 rpm; Mac Pro RAID card; up to two 16x SuperDrives with double-layer support; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics cards; AirPort Extreme 802.11n; Apple USB Modem; Apple wireless Aluminum Keyboard; Apple wireless Mighty Mouse; and Mac OS X Server Leopard. Complete build-to-order options and pricing are available at www.apple.com/macpro.<br><br>*Based on estimated results comparing a preproduction 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro with a 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro running professional applications like Maya, modo and Logic® Pro.<br><br>**Testing conducted by Apple in December 2007 using a preproduction 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro with a 2.66 GHz quad-core Mac Pro. All systems were configured with 4GB of RAM. Results are based on the STREAM v. 5.6 benchmark (www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/ref.html) using OMP support for multiprocessor-compiled builds. All systems were configured with 8GB of RAM. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Pro.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 05:53 AM

And this is the video cards:<br><br>NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 graphics cards<br><br>my photos

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 05:58 AM

<br><br>my photos
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:07 AM

Nice machine!<br><br>That should keep Topper quiet for awhile. <br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:09 AM

Well, it doesn't have the GTX version of that card, so maybe not! <br><br>my photos

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:11 AM

Well geez, send it back, eh?<br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:14 AM

The 8 core ones start out at $2799. There are some (or one) quad core, which would be fine for me, but I don't know how much it costs yet. Applestore is still down.<br><br>If it's too much, then that will seal the deal for me as far as my next machine: iMac.<br><br>my photos
Posted by: zwei

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:25 AM

We are getting ready to price some of these for work <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Topper

OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:26 AM

Thank you, John.<br>Still reading about it.<br>I am very happy about the nVidia 8800 GT 512MB card. let me repeat that "VERY HAPPY."<br>I was right about the 8-core Harpertown processors. I am very pleased that they are the 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns.<br>Doesn't appear to have Blu-ray but I don't care.<br>The price is higher than I expected considering the Harpertowns don't cost any more than the currect Clovertown and Woodcrest processors.<br>I will be purchasing one today!!!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:26 AM

Really?! wow..nice place to work! Need any help? <br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:27 AM

We'll be waiting for your report. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:30 AM

Imagine that sucker Folding? <br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:33 AM

I am quite pleased with the 8800 GT 512MB card. <br>Yes, I would prefer an 8800 GTX card but I knew that wasn't going to happen.<br>I would have also have prefered the 8800 GTS 512MB G92 card but I knew that card was launched too late for the new Mac Pro.<br><br>BUT the 8800 GT card performs favorably against the 8800 GTX.<br>The 8800 GTX outperforms the 8800 GT at higher resolutions.<br><br>BUT the 8800 GT is quieter and consumes less power than the 8800 GTX and by a large margin.<br><br>AND it could have been a lot worse. The high-end card could have been ATI's HD3870. <br>It's a good card but not near as good as the 8800 GT. So I would have had to kill myself.<br><br>I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE 8800 GT<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 06:36 AM

Cool! now if only the Apple store could come back up!<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:36 AM

Will do Marg, thank you <br>I posted my opinion about the 8800 GT card below.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:43 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>I am very happy about the nVidia 8800 GT 512MB card.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, but why DDR2? For what these machines are typically used for (and the price they're charging) they should use DDR3.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: bird

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:48 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I am very happy about the nVidia 8800 GT 512MB card. let me repeat that "VERY HAPPY."I will be purchasing one today!!!<p><hr></blockquote><p>and with those words sunshine once again spread across the forum <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: ichi

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:48 AM

ya, no BD, not even an option, that's a bad move.<br><br>[color:blue]ichi</font color=blue><br><br>[color:green]peace</font color=green><br><br>[color:red]in times of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.</font color=red>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:49 AM

Why is it a bad move? You can always get one later and add it in there.<br><br>And I think that Apple is probably waiting for the dust to settle. I'm sure they don't want to back something that may end up dead. Like the stuff in my powermac..PCI-X<br><br>my photos<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 01/08/08 09:50 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:50 AM

Thank you, thank you, yes, yes, yes! <br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:51 AM

Good question. I'll have to check that one out.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 06:52 AM

Uh oh........<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:17 AM

I not going to complain about DDR3.<br>I looked at some reviews and prices.<br>Conclusion:<br>DDR3 is still too high priced. <br>DDR3 is fast but DDR2 offers more bang for the buck.<br>That will change but beggars can't be chosers.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:18 AM

Well I suppose price could be a consideration, 1GB of ECC DDR3 is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 I believe.<br><br>I wonder what chipset the mobo is using<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:33 AM

It's a Seaburg chipset. The platform is Stoakley.<br>Do you want to know the stats?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:35 AM

Starts at $2700? Yikes. Maybe in 2 or 3 years...<br><br>And would it kill Apple to put more than one FW 800 port on the back panel?<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:36 AM

That's for the 8 core. They are selling one quad core at 2.8ghz. Don't know the price of that one yet.<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:39 AM

I guess the rumors about the Blu-Ray drive were false. <br><br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:39 AM

Cheapest Mac Pro is:<br><br>Summary<br>Subtotal $2,299.00<br><br>Estimated Ship:<br>2-4 business days<br>Free Shipping Next business day delivery available<br> * One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)<br> * 2GB (2 x 1GB)<br> * 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s<br> * ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)<br> * One 16x SuperDrive<br> * Apple Mighty Mouse<br> * Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X<br><br>my photos

The Apple Store is back up - 01/08/08 07:40 AM

I am looking at it now.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:46 AM

When I added the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI) [Add $180] card, it bumped the delivery time up to 3-5 weeks.<br><br>_______<br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:47 AM

$2200 is manageable, but I'd want the card that Topper's been drooling over and at least 2 500gb drives. That puts me at about $3300.<br><br>Ugh. Anyone got any freelance work for me? <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:48 AM

Sure did.<br><br>Looks like the iMac is the next machine for me. Even with the educational price, it's about $120 more than the previous generation mac pro.<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:51 AM

Yeah, that card would be nice to have. <br><br>I wouldn't get my HD's from Apple. I would get them some place else cheaper.<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:52 AM

I see seaburg uses those FB-DIMMs, I dont' think there are DDR3 FB-DIMMs yet, though there's going to be. <br><br>I wonder if you can upgrade it to the DDR3 FB_DIMMS once they arrive<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 07:52 AM

Yeah, I know. <br>My external hard drives all run with FW800 and they are fast. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

This is what I am ordering... - 01/08/08 08:00 AM

I really happy with this new Mac Pro. <br>Powerful Harpertown processors along with a powerful 8800 GT video card. <br>The price is reasonable. <br>As a matter of fact, compare the price to HP or Dell and it is very reasonable.<br><br>I will add more memory from a third party vendor, probably OWC.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:06 AM

Yeah that's pretty sweet. $2299.<br><br>I thought my next Mac would be a 24" iMac so I could keep the price around $2000 or less, but the Quad for $2299 is VERY tempting OSX. Not ready for a new one yet, mine's only 3+ yrs old, but in 18-24 months I will.<br><br>And the add-ons,.. forget them!! Apple charges way too much for upgrades... I can get RAM and huge HDs much cheaper than they charge. Buy the basic Mac and furbish it myself --- gee what more fun could a Geek ask for ? <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/08/08 08:07 AM

Why are you getting an airport card in it?<br><br>my photos

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:08 AM

Mine is in it's 5th year now so hopefully it'll last another year or two.<br><br>my photos

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/08/08 08:14 AM

I have a PowerBook. I would like to use both with Airport Extreme.<br>I am ignorant in this area.<br>Don't I need it?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:25 AM

Yeah, but why DDR2? For what these machines are typically used for (and the price they're charging) they should use DDR3.<br><br>Good question. I'll have to check that one out.<br><br>The card that ships with this MacPro, just like the one in my iMac, has DDR3 on the card.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/08/08 08:36 AM

Do you have an AP base station now? If you do, you can connect the new tower to the base station via ethernet and still have the wireless signal available for the PB. No need to have AP on the tower, in other words, unless the cable connection is not located where you're going to set up the tower. I have an APX base station and two AP Express repeaters in the house, mostly because the lay out of my house makes it impossible to connect the tower directly via ethernet. So if your tower is going to be close enough to the place where your cable connection comes into the house, you definitely don't need AP at all. <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: FSM

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:36 AM

that's $500 less. i've have to see benchmark testing to see if the $500 upgrade is worth it. i just don't know enough about the technology behind all of this stuff but i do know that i wanted to stay under $2,500. hmmm.<br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/08/08 08:49 AM

No, I do not have an AP base station as yet.<br>My tower is close to my cable connection so you just saved me 50 bucks. Thank you. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:56 AM

That one quad-core Harpertown is probably as good as two 3.0GHz dual-core Woodcrest processors that are in the current Mac Pro.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 08:59 AM

I thought the new iMac has 1GB of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory.<br><br>And the new Mac Pro has 2GB of PC2-5300 (800MHz) DDR2 fully buffered ECC memory.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:34 AM

what would be a good reason to install a second superdrive? With two drives I assume you can write directly from one mounted disk to another ...<br><br>If you haven't yet used the new wireless keyboard, check it out. Screw the numerical keypad, this thing is awesome.<br><br>And now for many of us there's a decision to be made on exactly how to sell the G5s we've been hanging onto.<br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:35 AM

Never mind, I thought you were talking about the memory on the vid card. In that light, the question that needs to be asked first, is whether Apple/Intel is using the new P35 chipset in these MacPros. If they are, then one should wonder why they didn't offer DDR3.<br><br>On a gaming note though, it should be mentioned that there is very little difference in performance between DDR2 and DDR3, especially if the DDR2 is paired with the newer P35 chipset.<br><br>It has been shown however, that very fast DDR2 paired with the P965 chipset smokes the DDR3 due to the poor memory timings it has been saddled with using the P35.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:36 AM

There is no 800MHz DDR3, that's DDR2.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:38 AM

Without looking it up, I believe the P35 is a desktop chipset. So the answer is no.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:39 AM

The P35 is a desktop chipset and if it isn't in the new MacPro then DDR3 isn't an option.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:42 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>It has been shown however, that very fast DDR2 paired with the P965 chipset smokes the DDR3 <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Well, the memory speed on these machines is 800MHz which isn't fast DDR2 by any stretch.<br><br>Plus, they use FB-DIMMS, and I don't believe there are any DDR3 FB-DIMMs yet, at least none that wouldn't cost at least 1/2 the price of the machine. The latency on FB-DIMMs is pretty poor, IIR.<br><br>These machines use server boards, not standard desktop boards.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 09:48 AM

Well, the memory speed on these machines is 800MHz which isn't fast DDR2 by any stretch.<br><br>So, you're not really getting anything of any significance in terms of performance are you? I mean if there are "server boards" out there with DDR2 1112 or 1067, why use 800MHz?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: OMG! OMG! OMG! - 01/08/08 10:08 AM

Only thing I can think of is it's 1/2 the speed of the FSB.<br><br>Another thing I'm confused by is the seaberg boards I've seen hold either 64GB or 128GB of memory, so why do the Mac Pro's only handle 32?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:11 AM

It's ordered.<br>Because of the 8800 GT card, it is bto, which means 3 to 5 weeks delivery time.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:13 AM

You work fast, sir!<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:16 AM

Congrats! You were very patient but those 3 to 5 weeks will probably seem like 3 years to you as you try to be patient just a wee bit longer. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:19 AM

Congrats. Man, if I had the choice, I think I would save up a little more and get the Nikon D3.<br><br>my photos

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:21 AM

You are right. Looking at the bright side, I thought it would come out next week so I look at it as a 2 to 4 week wait <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:23 AM

Thank you, I had to wait for the west coast to open their doors.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:25 AM

Hey wait, did you order me one too? ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:26 AM

You need to have your sig show a countdown until delivery! <br><br>my photos

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:29 AM

No, when you get your computer built, it will fly circles around mine. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:42 AM

Make a guestimation how much money Sgt's will cost!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:54 AM

I have no idea.<br>He's basically building it from scratch. Processors, motherboard, video card, logic board etc.<br>His computer case alone will be fairly expensive.

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 11:58 AM

Well, if his pc will blow your new Mac off the planet, it will cost 2 times as much I guess!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:19 PM

Cases really aren't that pricey - a decent one can be had for under $100, but it's nothing to look at.<br><br>When I built mine from scratch about 5 years ago, the total was a little over $1500 for everything, and it was mostly top of the line stuff at the time.<br><br>Of course, these days I can barely play BF2 on it. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:20 PM

Don't need a guestimation, $1965.<br><br>E8400, 4GB RAM, 8800 GTS, 850W power supply, 500GB drive, 24" LCD<br><br>though that's with a 24 inch montior, I might drop to a 22" and save $150 or so. Might also go with a quad core instead of dual core, which would add $100.<br><br>Of course all depends on discounts I get as I accumulate stuff. Already got the $199 case for $120, and there's about $200 of other rebates on various parts in effect now so if I figure those in, say $1700.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:22 PM

Don't need a guestimation, $1965.<br><br>-*-*-*-*-<br><br>Dang me! If it only had Macintosh on a partition or did like the Mac does with boot camp and run Macintosh too!<br><br>Sounds wonderful sgt. <br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:22 PM

[qutoe]His computer case alone will be fairly expensive. [/quote]<br><br>Got it on sale, plus a $40 rebate :)<br><br>Gonna head over to Compusa this weekend, I think the one near me is closing end of this month. Maybe I can find it cheaper on clearance!<br><br>Funny thing is I'm more excited about the case than anything.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If it only had Macintosh on a partition<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hey who says it won't? <br><br>Though to be fair, Toppers should crush mine at things like 3D rendering, considering it has 8 cores vs. 2 or 4. Games however will be another story.. :P<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:24 PM

Why? It is just a box to hold the really exciting stuff and won't it sit under the desk somewhere? I don't see what can be neato about a PC or Mac Box.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 12:27 PM

Nah. I'm a case nut, and this Cosmos case is about the most beautiful case I've seen, even though it's the size of Zeus himself and makes a MacPro (who's case I love) look absolutely puny.<br><br>I was looking at Lian-Li cases till I saw this one.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 03:09 PM

They are hacking PCs to put in Leopard and successfully these days.<br>Or is it hacking Leopard to put it into PCs?<br>Oh, well, you get the drift. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 03:15 PM

I was just reading the stats of your computer in your previous post. <br>That is a lot of computer for the money. <br>I do envy your 8800 GTS of course but I can't complain about the 8800 GT. Apple could have done worse. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 03:37 PM

This is SgtBaxter's case.<br>It is very strong and quite impressive.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/08/08 05:27 PM

OWC already has the new RAM...$200 for 4 GB<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 06:57 PM

Oh. I'm inpressed. Really smooooooooth! Coooooool. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 07:01 PM

Good try, but it is nice <br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/08/08 07:15 PM

<br><br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 09:46 AM

Just ordered 8GB of ram from OWC.<br>I am ready to boogie!<br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 10:15 AM

[censored] batman, that's a load of ram!<br><br>Now I gotta find a new MB that allows more than 8GB to play catch up ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: DLC

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 10:15 AM

WOW 8Gb.... are you making 70MM movies ??<br><br>Lord of the Rings SF/X ?<br><br><br>geez put that with 8 core Mac...and dang you can even beat HAL !!! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 10:27 AM

On top of the two it comes with, right?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 11:11 AM

Yes, that is correct.<br>Problem though...<br>I've heard that an ideal configuration is 2GB x 4. <br>The extra 1GB x2 may be more of a handicap. 2GB handicap?<br>I don't understand the explaination but here it is:<br>2GB X 4 is best due to the combination of benefits of performance, power consumption, thermal profile.<br>The performance is ideal because groupings of four FB-DIMM allow 256 Bit memory access<br>The power consumption is less because 4 FB-DIMM use 1/2 the power of 8<br>The thermal profile is better because fewer FB-DIMM generate less heat and allow more airflow.<br> <br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 11:15 AM

A Casio calculator probably has more power than HAL these days <br><br>[color:blue]"are you making 70mm movies?"</font color=blue><br>For one thing I batch process HD movies.<br><br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 11:17 AM

No need to play catch up.<br>Like you said, you can beat me in somethings and I can beat you in others.<br>I think we can call it a draw. <br><br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 11:17 AM

What's the problem? Sell that ram that comes with the Mac Pro.<br><br>my photos

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/10/08 11:21 AM

Yes, that is my plan. <br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/10/08 08:44 PM

Yi! Yi! Yi! Yi! Yi!!!!<br><br>I wasn't sure what it costs so I looked it up.<br>Good news, I was able to get up off the floor. <br>The bright side for me is that camera makes my Mac Pro look like a bargain. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Make it official... - 01/11/08 01:00 PM

Yeah, I plan to get a D3 once my car payments run out. But dang, that's still way over a year of payments! <br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Make it official... - 01/11/08 01:27 PM

Good idea! <br><br>but I still have 2 1/2 years left on my truck!<br><br>my photos

Thanks, Guys... - 01/11/08 03:39 PM

You are making my Mac Pro look reasonable. <br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Make it official... - 01/11/08 08:01 PM

Yeah, well I figure it's the only way to go. That camera is such a killer for the kind of photography that i do, I can't imagine a better choice. I don't want bigger megapixels. I want high ISO performance. And a 35mm 1.4! <br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/11/08 10:12 PM

i can't order until CDW gets them listed. these machines are shown in the Apple Store as shipping within 24 hours. no CDW, they are still showing the older Mac Pros only. <br><br>hurry up already . . . i want a new machine!!!<br><br>EDIT: i have been checking their Mac store at CDW daily. i should have just used search . . . <a href="http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1376440">ta da -- the new Mac Pro</a>. i guess i'll order on Monday is i have time. it's in stock so i'll choose USP ground (delivery in 1 - 2 days) and have it next week. this is exciting.<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FSM on 01/12/08 01:20 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/11/08 11:41 PM

Does your school make you purchase from CDW? Why don't you get the 200 bucks off that price and get it dot edu straight from Apple?<br><br>

Re: Oh Topper!! New Mac Pro! - 01/12/08 04:40 AM

I ordered 8GB of memory from OWC two days ago.<br>I ordered them in 2GB pairs.<br>Thanks for the info, though.<br><br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 04:59 AM

Excellent!<br>I think you are smart getting the 8-core 2.8GHz instead of the quad-core.<br>Your computer will be more powerful than the older 8-core Mac Pro which cost $4299.<br><br>My authorized Apple reseller screwed me a little bit.<br>I ordered my built-to-order Mac Pro four days ago. <br>I called them yesterday to ask why I haven't received my invoice via email.<br>Turns out they forgot to send it. <br>I am spending very big money for a bto Mac Pro and they forget to order it.<br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 11:54 AM

our NIH project is buying this one for me (it's upgrading a dual gig G4). our NIH grant is a small business grant and isn't run through the university. so our business has an account with CDW (so i'll get a discount . . . not EDU discount, but a nice discount anyway). i could buy elsewhere, but i like to save the tax payers a bit of money. <br><br>my school buys my laptops, fwiw.<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 01:37 PM

I don't understand the explaination but here it is:<br>2GB X 4 is best due to the combination of benefits of performance, power consumption, thermal profile.<br>The performance is ideal because groupings of four FB-DIMM allow 256 Bit memory access<br>The power consumption is less because 4 FB-DIMM use 1/2 the power of 8<br>The thermal profile is better because fewer FB-DIMM generate less heat and allow more airflow.<br><br>This may help clear that up... <br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 03:01 PM

That was interesting, thank you.<br>I've bought memory 4pcs at 2GB each. <br>The Mac Pro comes with 2 pcs of memory at 1GB each.<br>I wonder if I am better off keeping those 2 pcs of memory or selling them?<br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 05:35 PM

I'd leave 'em in. Why not? 9GB is better than 8GB. <br><br>- alec -

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 06:16 PM

10 is even better than 9 <br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 07:22 PM

DOH! Yeah... I meant 10.<br><br>Could you ever have thought, 5 years ago, you'd own a Mac desktop with 10GB RAM??? My old 9600 has a 9GB hard drive, fer cryin' out loud. <br><br>- alec -

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/12/08 07:37 PM

It's amazing.<br>In 1991, 4MB of memory cost $189.00<br>If a computer were available that could handle 10GB of memory in 1991, it would cost $472,500.00 for that 10GB of memory.<br><br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/13/08 06:10 AM

I noticed that the article was written on August 9th, 2006. Would it still pertain to the new Mac Pro?<br><br>_______<br>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/13/08 06:58 AM

I think it does. The new Mac Pro is pretty much the same as the older Mac Pro except the memory jumps up from 667MHz to 800MHz.<br><br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/13/08 07:13 AM

If you bought from OWC they will give you $110.00 for the (2) 1 giggers... then you can turn around and buy more 2 giggers or pocket the money.<br>Or leave them in there.<br>http://eshop.macsales.com/money-back-rebate/mac-pro-xeon-memory#macpro<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NucleusG4 on 01/13/08 10:14 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: This is what I am ordering... - 01/13/08 07:18 AM

I'll think it over for a week or so. Thank you for your input.<br>I lucked out, memory has already gone up in price since I ordered it.<br><br><br>

Mac Pro Benchmark - 01/25/08 03:05 PM

<br><br>