Piggyback my MacBook

Posted by: RubenC

Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 10:48 AM

I'm not sure how to go about this or if it's possible, but being as I'm in a mobile state right now as some of you might know, I would like to know if it's possible to connect my MacBook to my Mac at work "directly" to access the web.<br><br>I know I have the airport card access through my MacBook, but I was looking for a more secure connection. So is there a way to "piggyback" the connection? <br><br>If I connect via Ethernet what is the protocol to get the web connection?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 11:39 AM

I've never done this, so I don't know how easy it is to set up or how well it works. But, if you go to the Sharing Control Pane and click on the Internet tab, you'll see that you can set the computer with the internet connection to share that connection. If you click on the Airport box the START button will be activated, and then I guess the desktop at work will act like a base station and your MacBook will be able to access the web. I imagine you'll have to set up the MacBook's Network settings to accept the signal--I don't know what that entails, though.<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 12:24 PM

Huh, seems easy enough, I'll give it a try and see if it works. Thanks YoYo <br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 12:34 PM

If your Internet connection is through Ethernet, you can only share through Airport, and vice versa. You can't share the connection out of the same protocol as is receiving the connection. So you will have to go wireless unless you add another ethernet card to the Mac.<br><br>Turn off firewalls first to simplify things if you have problems. You may have to reboot the machine doing the sharing.<br><br>---------------> Trivia link-up.<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 01:44 PM

Try Firewire. Go to System Preferences>Network and select Network Port Configurations from the Show dropdown. In that window, check the Firewire button to make it active.<br><br>Now, go to the Sharing Preference pane and under the Internet tab, turn Internet Sharing on. You'll see a tick box to share your internet with other computers over Firewire.<br><br>I can't help you past this step, as I never got any further than that.<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 01:47 PM

So if the internet connection is through Firewire I would be fine then?<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 01:49 PM

I'm trying Firewire right now to see if that works.<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 01:57 PM

Firewire Worked!!!<br><br>Thanks everyone. <br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/14/07 03:50 PM

Oops, silly me. Forgot about Firewire, it will do fine.<br><br>---------------> Trivia link-up.<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/15/07 10:57 AM

No prob, appreciate the help nonetheless.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/15/07 11:31 AM

Dang me! I wanted to make this a favorite thread and I was hitting all those links at the bottom of the thread. <br><br>One was 'Notifying Moderator' or something like that.<br><br>Since I am visible in the who's on line, I hope no one thinks I was actually notifying a moderator. Which brings up a thought: I was thinking that this place had a local police force who monitored frequently. But I guess I was wrong?<br><br>I don't stop by regularly and hate that when I show up and there are 500 posts. I can't stand not reading them all. I might miss something really exciting. Ha. Sometimes I speed read or skim.<br><br>Anyway, didn't mean to grab thread.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/15/07 11:35 AM

Well you back stabbin' little... <br><br>---------------> Trivia link-up.<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/16/07 09:19 AM

Cool, I'm glad to know it works! I started to try it out once, but then I guess I got distracted or something.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/17/07 06:11 PM

Big laugh. Didn't get back here right away. You're funny!<br><br>But, I have seen others observe [on that other forum] that someone was notifying moderator. Now I can see if one is just pushing those buttons at the bottom of the posts to see what they mean, or looking for a certain one, it could look like notifying a moderator. <br><br>I'll be right back. Gotta notify the moderator about something I just red hear.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/23/07 08:42 PM

Did you get the answer you wanted because I just got done doing the same thing for a friend who has a MacBook and an iMac, both with Airport.<br><br>

Re: Piggyback my MacBook - 08/27/07 11:10 AM

Yes I did!<br><br>Thanks for asking.<br><br>