how new are the Mac desktops

Posted by: FSM

how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 05:16 PM

how new are the latest desktop iterations? i could probably wait until the end of the year if these machines have been out for a long time, but if they're pretty new then i might just buy sooner rather than later. my G5 is a dual 2.0 gig machine, so it's quite adequate, but i'd like to give my kids a second computer as they don't like sharing. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FSM on 07/28/07 08:19 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Topper

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:22 PM

I thought you would never ask.<br>The Mac Pro came out in August of last year.<br>It had a bto 8-core upgrade in April of this year.<br><br>It is my belief that you can tell when Apple computers will be updated by looking at Intel's roadmap.<br>Unfortunately both Intel and Apple are pretty secretive.<br><br>After exhaustive study, this is my belief. Take it with a grain of salt.<br><br>I think the new Mac Pro will have a Stoakley platform and a Seaburg chipset. <br>Stoakley/Seaburg is expected to be released in November.<br><br>I think that the new Mac Pro will have Harpertown processors.<br>Harpertown are quad-core processors made from 45nm fabrication.<br>Harpertown processors are expected sometime in Q4/2007.<br><br>In other words, I predict the next generation Mac Pro will come out in November.<br><br>Get this one...I think the next Mac Pro will be all 8-core. <br>Intel has brought down the price of their processors.<br><br>I made the following table myself.<br>If you look closely you can see that the quad-core Harpertown processors are the same price as the dual-core Woodcrest and quad-core Clovertown processors that are in the current Mac Pro.<br><br>I think the next Mac Pro will have 2.83, 3.00, and 3.16 quad-core Harpertown processors.<br>Can you believe an all 8-core Mac Pro lineup?<br><br>So, why would I go through all this trouble?<br>I can't wait for the next generation Mac Pro to come out.<br>My objective was/is to try to figure out when the next Mac Pro will come out.<br>I want a much more powerful video card than the current ATI Radeon X1900 XT.<br>I am predicting that the next video card will be a crossfire ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT card.<br>I will be first in line to get the next Mac Pro!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:25 PM

The hard drive in my G4 at work was dying so last Monday I got a new quad core MacPro. Love it!<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: drjohn

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:28 PM

Wow! I had no idea that asian sweatshops made all that stuff. ;-)<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:34 PM

All the Mac Intel chips are made in Costa Rica. <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:37 PM

All that research and I didn't know that. <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 07:44 PM

I lived about 10 miles away from the Intel plant last winter. The place is HUGE and ultra modern. It's anything but a sweatshop. <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/28/07 09:17 PM

wow, good thing i asked. <br><br>i am certainly in no hurry, but i'd easily wait for what you describe. i'd like to be able to get a multiple 3 gig machine and not have it be the top of the line. 8-core is more than i could have hoped for so i won't get my expectations up for that, but it makes sense given what you note about the future processors. if true, then wow.<br><br>i thought i remembered seeing that you were eager for the next generation in a thread a few months back. i am less enthusiastic than you (count me among the 99.9999999999999825364% of the population that can fit that profile), but i'll be just as excited once they are shipping as that's when i'll upgrade and once i have a tracking number i can typically hardly contain myself. until then, i'll make sure to get my updates from you. <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 03:13 AM

I admit I'll be surprised if it goes down exactly as I predict but Stoakley/Seaburg/Harpertown is the next big thing on Intel's list of innovations.<br><br>Intel Developer Forum is coming up September 18-20 in San Francisco and then Paris Apple Expo the following week September 25-29. And of course add Leopard to the mix in October.<br>I suppose it is possible for Apple to bring on a new Mac Pro at that time.<br>But it looks like the only thing available will be quad-core Clovertowns.<br>So it is possible that all 8-core Clovertown Mac Pro line could come out in September.<br>But why wouldn't Apple wait a month or two for Harpertown?<br><br>[color:blue]"99.9999999999999825364%"</font color=blue><br>That's all you are giving me? I'm disappointed <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 03:13 AM

Are you still planning on moving to Costa Rica, Marg?<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 03:26 AM

I won't be moving there permanently but I will likely spend a few winters in CR again. This winter I'll be in Hawaii.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 06:25 AM

well, the times for chipsets and processors certainly give Apple a reason not to hurry with Leopard, the iPhone not withstanding.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 08:22 AM

ask yourself<br>do you need to have more than 1 graphics card(note you can have 2 monitors on 1 card)?<br>do you ned 4 internal hard drives?<br>are you crunching huge amounts of Math?<br>Are you ready to invest in 2x as much ram as processors in the box?<br><br>If yes, then a Tower is for you. If not the iMac is for you with external storage and multiple display capabilities and dual core.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 08:53 AM

Carp country.<br>I like Hawaii. I've had quite a few friends retire to Hawaii.<br>My favorite island would be Maui.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/29/07 09:11 AM

hey nutty, it's me sean just using a new name here.<br><br>i know i need a tower for the video work i do. but, i am in no hurry so i'll wait for the next tower release.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 06:06 AM

Yes I need a tower, and the Mac pro would be ideal...<br><br>that is if it would run OS X while a GeForce 8800 is installed :P<br><br>I want multiple internal drives because I want dedicated drives for OS X and windows (I will be using it as a 3D workstation, but also doubling as a game machine, I'll have drives for each)<br><br>When are we gonna get that? :)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 06:36 AM

[color:blue]"that is if it would run OS X while a GeForce 8800 is installed"</font color=blue><br>I'd kill for a GeForce 8800 series card.<br>My money says the next card is ATI's HD 2900 XT.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 09:53 AM

I like checking this site !!<br><br> Mac Buyer's Guide <br><br>lots of info and insight... <br><br>anyone's prediction, but it lays it ALL out.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 10:36 AM

That card is the main reason I've held off. <br><br>I don't see the reasoning behind building a whole other PC when the MacPro would do so nicely. But once I found out they wouldn't boot with the new GeForce boards installed, that kind of killed it for me. I'm just slugging along until a new revision is released, or... hopefully an update when 10.5 comes out.<br><br>Or maybe I'll just get the Mac Pro with a Quadro card, and build a separate PC for gaming.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 11:11 AM

[color:blue]"maybe I'll just get the Mac Pro with a Quadro card, and build a separate PC for gaming"</font color=blue><br>People think and rightfully so that the Mac Pro is a workstation computer.<br>That is why the Mac Pro does not have the best high-end consumer cards in it.<br>People argue that the Mac Pro was never intended for gaming.<br>The problem is there isn't an Apple computer made that is good for gaming.<br>A lot of people and I mean a lot of people are doing what you are thinking of doing and that is buying a second computer albeit a PC just for gaming.<br>There are some (Apple) people that are buying PCs and saying to heck with Apple.<br>There is no reason that the Mac Pro can't be both a workstation computer and a gaming computer all-in-one.<br>Why isn't Apple smart enough to know that they can do just that by adding a top of the line nVidia card as bto for the Mac Pro?<br><br>Want to have a laugh? I've actually had people recommend the iMac for gaming.<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 12:12 PM

"Want to have a laugh? I've actually had people recommend the iMac for gaming."<br><br><br>what are you talking about !!??<br><br>It's fine for gaming !!<br><br>Solitare ! <br><br>Civilization IV<br><br><br>David (OFI)

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 07/30/07 02:09 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>People argue that the Mac Pro was never intended for gaming.<p><hr></blockquote><p>There's no reason the MacPro couldn't be a kick ass gaming machine, indeed it'd probably be the most kick ass gaming machine ever if it weren't that the GF8 card made it not boot into OS X when it's seated in the fastest slot. <br><br>I've always had two machines, but the MacPro seriously is an all around wonder. The only downside is that only one person can be using it at a time. (unless of course you configure it with a terminal server) But, I want that GeForce card and I'm not going to compromise. <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 12:09 PM

perhaps you're not far off:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A posting to the Santa Clara-based firm's reseller website briefly revealed launch plans for seven of the new Xeon chips -- the successors to those used in Apple's Mac Pro desktops -- before it was abruptly removed. The chip family, codenamed Harpertown, will range in speeds from 2.0GHz to 3.16GHz.<br><br>Each of the new processors will sport a Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 80 watts, pack 12MB of Level 2 cache, and run on a 1333MHz front-side bus. The only exception is the high-end 3.16GHz chip, which was listed with a TDP of 120 watts.<br><br>According to the information listed on Intel's reseller site, the new chips will fetch between $209 for the 2.0GHz model to $1,172 for the 3.16GHz variant. In the sweet spot of the Xeon lineup -- where Apple has historically chosen its standard Mac Pro processors -- lies a 2.83GHz model priced at $690.<p><hr></blockquote><p><a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/intel_leaks_details_of_mac_pro_bound_xeon_chips.html">http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/15/intel_leaks_details_of_mac_pro_bound_xeon_chips.html</a><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 12:21 PM

I'm following this very, very, very closely, Sean.<br>The new Harpertown processors are coming out on November 11th.<br>So far everything tells me new Mac Pros in November.<br>If you want to find me, I'll be at the head of the line <br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 12:26 PM

i am right behind you. <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 02:45 PM

I'm right behind you :)<br><br>Looks like some new Macs for us in Nov hopefully ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 03:35 PM

Are you guys Greek? <br><br>- alec -

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 05:06 PM

Maybe but at least we are not invisible <br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 06:21 PM

"The hard drive in my G4 at work was dying so last Monday I got a new quad core MacPro."<br><br>Wow... that was a convenient.... er great excuse! <br><br>" But Honey, the Hard drive went and died !!<br>I couldn't put a 1 T HD in my old machine... wouldn't fit ! " <br><br>and they threw in Free Shipping !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/17/07 08:37 PM

Here is a link that I found to give Apple feedback about the Mac Pro.<br>I used it to ask for a top of the line high-end bto consumer video card in the next Mac Pro.<br>I know it's not going to do any good but it made me feel better that I tried.<br>The odds are Apple already has all the components for the next Mac Pro in place.<br>Here it is anyway:<br>Mac Pro Feedback<br><br><br><br><br>

Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/23/07 04:17 PM

According to The Inquirer, Stoakley/Seaburg/Harpertown are just about ready to be released.<br><br>The 3.2Ghz Harpertown is expected to have a ~20% improvement over X5365 Clovertown DP 3 GHz FSB1333, for just ~6% clock jump.<br><br>Here is the article from The Inquirer:<br><br>Intel Skulltrail to break dual-socket performance barrier<br><br>100+ real GFLOPs on a desktop, anyone?<br><br>By Nebojsa Novakovic: Thursday 23 August 2007, 08:38<br><br>"INTEL IS pretty much ready with the Harpertown 'cream of the crop' of initial Penryns, and the boards with the new Seaburg chipset, aka Stoakley platform, are about there by the likes of Tyan, Asus, Supermicro and of course Intel itself.<br><br>I've myself seen the dual-socket workstations and servers running 3.2 GHz X5482 FSB1600 Harpertown DP on the new chipset ever since Beijing April IDF - even then they were running stable on branded vendor boxes. The recent run at Intel labs handled even overnight non stop benchmark runs with 100.0% per-core on all cores CPU usage fine - not bad for pre-production units. The new boards, by the way, have full copper, fanned, heatsinks on the chipset north bridge, finally - these are hot babies running DUAL FSB1600 at the same time, so more decent heat dissipation is a must.<br><br>According to the industry sources in high performance computing, the larger 12 MB caches on these parts, compared to vastly increased net memory bandwidth obtainable on the Seaburg chipset and DDR2-800 CL5 FB-DIMMs, give far higher benchmark results in some cases than the current dual Xeon batch.<br><br>For instance, STREAM-type memory bandwidth benchmarks are expected to be between 40% and 60% faster, and you could get around 80 GFLOPs double precision net (Rmax) 40Kx40K Linpack performance out of 102 GFLOPs peak, with the current (not yet fully optimised) code.<br><br>This is a ~20% improvement over X5365 Clovertown DP 3 GHz FSB1333, for just ~6% clock jump - and before further tuning that may incorporate some opcodes from SSE, like dot product.<br><br>Based on the sources who saw dual-socket Barcelona running, with the most optimised new PGI compilers for the platforms, and after a good round of tuning, it should give up to 55 GFLOPs Rmax out of 64 GFLOPs peak, at 2 GHz. Now, it shows Barcelona is a bit more efficient per clock than the Harpertown, but it also has a 60% clock disadvantage that more than destroys its competitive position at the dual-socket system level. Even if AMD manages to ship a 2.2 GHz bin in October, when Intel is supposed to have X5482-based platforms on the way to the customers already, it still doesn't nearly make up.<br><br>Yeah, Linpack is of course a useless benchmark, but unfortunately many workstation or supercomputer tenders all over the world include it as a critical measure - the Top 500 ranking is still based on it.<br><br>This is just the beginning, though. Intel's "Skulltrail" high-end dual socket media & gaming platform will use this same Xeon, just in an unlocked Extreme version, and the same Seaburg chipset, but in an optimised lower latency, higher bandwidth configuration with selected FB-DIMMs running upward of DDR2-1000 speed and lower latency like CL4.<br><br>The board has FOUR PCI-E x16 GPU slots and, of course, strong power/VRM config with overclockable Dual FSB config on top of the unlocked multipliers. All the chipset and VRM heat sinks are easy to replace for optional water block/freeze block cooling.<br><br>Knowing the 4++ GHz air cooling overclock headroom on these 45 nm parts, and even higher liquid or cryo cooling potential, and coupled with fast FSB & memory - I thought "Fast FB-DIMM" was an oxymoron - we could be in for some record results when the monster E-ATX board shows up in the market in the next few months.<br><br>After all, an extra 20 - 30% speed boost on CPU, and additional 30+ memory throughput due to optimised FSB latency coupled with both higher bandwidth and lower latency by those upcoming FB-DIMMs, should give a very decent application performance increase, not to mention ability to feed, say, four Nvidia G92 GPUs simultaneously?<br><br>One of these records will surely be the above mentioned Linpack - Dual water-cooled 4+ GHz Extreme Harpertown Xeons on a Skulltrail board will be the first ever dual-socket PC / workstation / server to break the 100 GFLOPs net - Rmax - Linpack performance barrier.<br><br>Now, just think what wonders will that machine do for gaming physics or, as our Theo reported from Leipzig, real time ray tracing."<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/23/07 05:15 PM

i am not as versed on meanings of all of the numbers. i used know what clock speed meant, but that's no longer much of a comparative science. i guess at the end of the day, it's always been all about performance and the next generation towers are going to be an incredible boost over my current G5. <br><br>is the 3.2Ghz Hapertown expected to be the top of the line? if so, i am certainly going to be fine with the 3.0 model if there is one. the one concern i have is the increased heat with the Hapertown. i still remember the very loud dual Ghz machines we bought for some employees -- sounded like airplanes when the fans came on. i hope we don't get that as i keep my computer up on my desktop (big desk).<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/23/07 08:40 PM

I am not good at comparing cpus.<br>Clock speed is important, just not as important as it was a couple years ago.<br>AMD is coming out with a 45nm processor quad-core Barcelona processor.<br>On paper the Barcelona sounds a little more advanced than Intel's Harpertown.<br>But the first batch of Barcelona processors will only be clocked at 2.0GHz.<br>Harpertown at 3.2GHz will eat Barcelona for breakfast.<br>In this instance Harpertown's clock speed is very important.<br>Intel's Harpertown will give AMD's Barcelona a trashing because of it.<br><br>Yes, the 3.2GHz Harpertown will be the top of the line.<br>I don't think you can go wrong with the 3.0GHz Harpertown.<br>It appears to me that the 3.0GHz Harpertown should be quite a bit cooler than the 3.2GHz Harpertown. 80W TDP compared to 120W TDP of the 3.2GHz Harpertown.<br><br>Rumor has it that the Harpertown 3.2Ghz is 20 percent more powerful than Apple's 3.0Ghz quad-core Clovertown processor.<br>Harpertown has a 6 percent increase in clock speed over Clovertown.<br>I think it would be safe to assume the 3.0Ghz Harpertown will have a 10 percent increase in power over today's 3.0GHz Clovertown.<br><br>Heat issues? Again I don't know.<br>But it appears to me that the Harpertown processors are not any hotter than the Clovertowns and Woodcrest processors in today's Mac Pro.<br>To give you an idea:<br>The 3.2GHz Harpertown has a 120W TDP as compared to the 150W TDP of the 3.0Ghz Clovertown.<br>The 3.0GHz Harpertown has an 80W TDP as compared to the 80W TDP of the 3.0GHz dual-core Woodcrest.<br>The 2.83GHz Harpertown has an 80W TDP as compared to the 65W TDP of the 2.66GHz dual-core Woodcrest.<br>(Okay, the 2.66GHz Woodcrest is cooler but at what price?)<br><br>

And some more good news... - 08/24/07 06:05 AM

Intel announced the Core 2 Extreme X7900 yesterday.<br>The 2.8GHz Merom processor offers a 4MB L2 cache with support for 800MHz Front Side Bus.<br><br>So, what's the big deal about that?<br><br>Mac users will recognize this chip as the chip that was announced in the iMac on August 7th as a high end configuration. <br>It appears that Apple is able to get preferential shipments on upcoming Intel processors. <br>Intel had previously provided Apple with a 3.0GHz Xeon (Clovertown) processor with an early limited production.<br><br>Apple is getting Intel processors before Intel's launch date.<br><br>In summary...Intel plans to launch it's Harpertown processors on Nov 11th.<br>Maybe Apple will bring out the new Mac Pros before November 11th<br><br><br><br>

Re: And some more good news... - 08/24/07 08:09 AM

so, by my calculations . . . we could be looking at the end of October. very nice. i think i am going to pre-order right now. heh.<br><br>

Re: And some more good news... - 08/24/07 08:12 AM

[color:blue]"i think i am going to pre-order right now. heh"</font color=blue><br>Hey! Not fair! I thought I was supposed to be ahead of you<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:26 AM

will an internal HD i bought for my last generation G5 work in the intel Mac Pros?<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:27 AM

yes<br><br>my beer blog

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:33 AM

I'm not positive but I think so.<br>I've got an 500GB SATA drive in my G5 that I sure hope works in the Mac Pro.<br>OWC says it will work.<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:35 AM

Oops, you beat me to it.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:36 AM

They will work. The Mac Pro can take advantage of the newer SATA drives (3Gb/s drives) while the Powermac G5 could use the newer drives but only take advantage of the 1.5Gb/s speeds.<br><br>my beer blog

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 08:39 AM

You really are slipping! <br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Trog

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 10:27 AM

Spaghetti man, I think you should put your money into a new Nikon D3 instead of a MacPro. It would be much more useful for your summer in Italy. Think about it.<br><br>------<br>"Take that some place else."

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 10:49 AM

i am using grant dollars that are budgeted specifically for a new computer. i doubt i could justify a camera instead. i have a secret stock account that could possibly buy a D3 (depends on AAPL though), but i was hoping it would buy an HD video camera early next summer and that my D70 would still be going strong. that's my hope anyway.<br><br>probably the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HV20-Definition-Camcorder-Stabilized/dp/B000MUV6BA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7560625-5930504?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187977636&sr=8-1">canon HV20</a> (or something better if it comes along by about May of next year).<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 10:49 AM

That or the D300. I totally agree with you on that especially since they have the new macbook and macbook pro!<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Pete

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 11:08 AM

'Secret' stock account? Secret from who?<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 11:15 AM

Getting old. Time to be put out to pasture.<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 08/24/07 11:24 AM

That is good information to know, thank you.<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 11:41 AM

little checks i've gotten for this or that -- insurance rebates checks, birthdays, x-mas, reimbursement for miles from work, etc. i took all of the checks i received and placed them into an investment account and started investing. not really a secret account, but it's an account that i get to use it for anything i want. i almost used some of it to buy an iPhone and then decided to wait for at least version 2.0. now i am not so sure. hmmm.<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 11:47 AM

Oh, so more like a 'stash'. Not so much 'secret'. <br><br>I got me one of those, but the money isn't really doing anything. <br><br>Financial adviser, line 1!<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 12:01 PM

not doing anything??? do you just have it in cash?<br><br>i bought AAPL and BIDU (just sold the BIDU when it hit high not too long ago and it hasn't gone down enough for me to jump back in so i am waiting right now and it's rising again . . . if it gets to within $3 of when i sold, i'll likely jump back in b/c i think it's on its way to $250 by January). these 2 stocks have been gold mines. i have been trying to buy when it goes low and sell when it goes high . . . sort of like a day trader. i haven't been perfect, but i've done much better than just watching things go up and down and having my money stay in the roller coaster. but i am running out of free trades -- probably another week or 2, so i need to settle down and stick it all in AAPL or all in a good mutual fund. <br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 12:19 PM

It's one of those 5% APY savings accounts - I dump about $100 a month in there, and then tap into it whenever I need a little extra 'somethin somethin'.<br><br>Lately there's been a lot of tapping! <br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 12:33 PM

5% savings accounts? That would be incredible right now. Do you mean a Money Market fund, maybe?<br><br>------<br>"Take that some place else."

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 01:20 PM

It's 5% over the whole year, silly.<br><br>Emigrant Direct<br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 01:50 PM

thus the A, eh? <br><br>a 1 year CD, by contrast, fetches about 5.5 at the best right now, but of course then you're locked into leaving your money alone . . . which may be a good thing. heh.<br><br>boy, we sure got off of topic. <br><br>

Re: Mac Pro release date is getting closer - 08/24/07 02:20 PM

Yes, I'm aware of APY.<br><br>Ahh, I see its an online bank account. That explains it. You won't get that kind of interest in a traditional savings account at a bank or credit union this year. <br><br>I get about 5% (was 5.29% last year) through the money market account at TIAA-CREF. It is possible though, that it could be lower. In fact right now it is currently under 4% with 5 months left.<br><br>------<br>"Take that some place else."

And more good news!!! - 08/24/07 02:55 PM

Intel is bringing out two Harpertown processors in Q4 of this year with a 1600MHz Frontside Bus.<br>That means an even faster overall performance.<br><br>I don't know if Apple will have these faster processors. As a matter of fact I kind of doubt it.<br><br>Maybe the processors could be used in some kind of single socket Apple computer.<br>In other words, why not make a single socket Mac Pro with one of these 1600MHz Harpertowns. <br>Add to it an extremely powerful video card and you would have one heck of a nice gaming machine along with a computer that can do almost anything and it would be fairly affordable. <br><br>Or put two of these babies in a Mac Pro and control the world.<br><br><br><br>

And the news just keeps on a coming... - 08/30/07 09:47 AM

Sort of a follow-up to my post below...more talk about the 1600MHz FSB Harpertown processors. <br><br>I thought one sentence was particularly interesting, "Intel plans to release these 1600 MHz front-side bus processors in Q4 2007 with the rest of the Penryn family."<br><br>Maybe there is a chance that the next Mac Pro will have these 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns.<br>Wouldn't that be the cherry on top!!!<br><br>

Mac Pro Upgrade - 09/06/07 07:15 AM

<br><br>

Quadro Card Replacement? - 09/06/07 01:47 PM

Is this a possible replacement for the somewhat aging Quadro card?<br><br><br><br><br>

Mac Pro Video Cards - 09/15/07 09:54 AM

Here are some guesses on the next generation Mac Pro video cards.<br>My guess is high lighted.<br><br>Low-end video card: GeForce 8500 GT, GeForce 8700 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, Radeon HD2600 Pro.<br><br>High-end bto consumer card: Radeon HD2900 XT, GeForce 8700 GTS, GeForce 8800 series card.<br><br>Workstation video card: FireGL V8600, FireGL V7600, Quadro FX4600.<br><br>The GeForce 8700 GTS isn't even out yet. <br>It is expected to be a mid-range card between the GeForce 8600 GT and GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB cards.<br>It may approach the power of the 8800 GTS.<br>I am scared that it may end up to be the high-end consumer card of the Mac Pro.<br>It is just not powerful enough (for me). <br>The bright side may be that if the 8700 GTS gets some more powerful siblings added to the line, maybe they could be flashed using the 8700 GTS OS X driver and added to the Mac Pro.<br><br><br><br>

Big Intel Announcement on Tuesday? - 09/17/07 06:19 AM

It sounds like Intel may launch Penryn tomorrow.<br>This is a big deal because Penryn (Harpertown to be exact) is expected to be the next (great) processor in the next generation Mac Pro.<br>Penryn processors are made from 45 nm process fabrication.<br>When it comes to performance per watt, the Penryn processors should be the Crème de la Crème!<br><br>Maybe Mr. Jobs will announce a new Mac Pro in the not too distant future?<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Big Intel Announcement on Tuesday? - 09/17/07 06:31 AM

in conjunction with the release of leopard perhaps???<br><br>fingers crossed.<br><br>

Re: Big Intel Announcement on Tuesday? - 09/17/07 06:36 AM

Tiger?<br><br>No, I doubt that it will be in conjunction with Leopard.<br>Mr. Jobs will have to postpone the announcement for a month to do so.<br>I am still guessing November for Mac Pro launch anyway.<br><br><br>Tomorrow will be interesting because Intel is opening a plant in Arizona to mass produce Penryn processors. <br>Oregon is making them right now but in limited production.<br>I am not sure what this all means for Apple.<br>How can Apple get Harpertown processors now when that Arizona plant isn't even open yet? From Oregon?<br><br><br><br>

1600MHz FSB Harpertowns - 10/01/07 08:12 AM

Looks like 1600MHz FSB Harpertown processors will be available in November.<br>If Apple uses those 1600MHz Harpertowns instead of the 1333MHz Harpertowns, that would be a good speed boost for the Mac Pro.<br>There are some 120 W Harpertowns added to the chart. <br>The 120 W Harpertowns may be unlocked processors for use with the Intel Skilltrail platform.<br>Skilltrail is a very expensive "server" platform that can use 4 video cards.<br>Skilltrail would be excellent for someone who wants his/her workstation computer to be used as gaming computer also.<br>Unfortunately I seriously doubt Apple will put Skilltrail in the next Mac Pro.<br>Stoakley is more likely to be the next Mac Pro platform.<br>I have enclosed a chart that I made. <br>I made it from bits and pieces off the internet.<br>Take a look at the prices. The highest priced Harpertown processor is no higher than the currect Mac Pro Clovertown processor.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns - 10/01/07 08:30 AM

I think John knows where you can get a good deal on an Apple desktop.<br><br>

Re: 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns - 10/01/07 08:52 AM

I don't understand why he is doing that. <br>If he just waits for the next Mac Pro, I think that thirty-five dollars would just about cover it.<br><br>

SgtBaxter... - 10/01/07 08:55 AM

[color:blue]Here is something to die for...SkullTrail</font color=blue><br>SkullTrail: a workstation and gaming computer combined.<br>How about 2 GeForce 8800GTX video cards?<br>And I think it will run four of them if you've got the bucks.<br><br><br><br>

Re: 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns - 10/01/07 11:32 AM

I'm not doing it. I thought that if I picked up that cheaper powermac, I could use it for a few things: server for security video, games for my son, perhaps an iTunes server.<br><br><br>

No High-End Video Cards for the next Mac Pro - 10/10/07 06:18 AM

This is just my opinion but I don’t think there is a high-end consumer video card available for the next Mac Pro.<br>Okay, they are available but will Apple offer them?<br><br>I think there are 4 high-end consumer video cards on the market today; GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 Ultra, and Radeon HD2900 XT.<br><br>I think the 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra can be elminated just on size alone...10.5 inches long.<br>All the above cards are basically already old technology.<br>They all run hot, too hot, and they all consume a lot of power.<br>Does Apple really want those cards in their computer?<br>I do but does Apple?<br><br>There are two new sets of video cards by Nvidia and ATI; GeForce 8800 GT (G92) and Radeon HD2950 XT and Pro (RV670)<br><br>The Radeon HD2950 XT has fairly impressive numbers if the rumors are true.<br>But it isn’t considered a high-end card. It will probably make it’s debut at the end of the month.<br><br>Nvidia will launch it’s 8800 GT (G92) card this month. It’s specs are not as good as the 8800 GTS.<br>The 8800 GT is a mid-range card.<br><br>The smaller die of the HD2950 and 8800 GT should make for cooler, less noisy, and lower power<br>consumption than the 8800 series and HD2900 XT cards.<br><br>The next generation of high-end video cards are not coming out until next year.<br><br>I would like an 8800 series card or the HD2900 XT available as a bto option of the next Mac Pro<br>but I don’t think it will happen. Hope I’m wrong.<br><br>If the specifications of the HD2950 XT are true, it will be a pretty good card. <br>But it will be a disappointment for those expecting an 8800 or HD2900 XT.<br><br>I made the following table.<br>The numbers of the HD2950 and 8800 GT are pure speculation.<br>If any of the stats are wrong I am sure someone will let me know.<br>I filled in the HD2950 and 8800 GT cards in yellow to show that they are the new cards that<br>have not come out as yet.<br><br><br><br><br>

Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky ones! - 11/12/07 07:12 AM

Like many people, I am looking forward to buying a new Penryn (Harpertown) Mac Pro.<br>I think its going to come out this week.<br><br>BUT...<br>I think there will be new Nehalem Mac Pros coming out in the second half of 2008.<br>The people who are waiting to buy the Nehalem Mac Pro will have a much more powerful computer than the Harpertown Mac Pro.<br><br>Nehalem is part of Intel’s tick-tock strategy of bringing out processors.<br>Penryn (Harpertown) is a shrink derivative of the Core 2 Duo.<br>Nehalem has a whole new microarchitecture.<br>Nehalem will not rely on FD-Dimms which are prone to latency problems.<br>Instead Nehalem will use DDR3 chips.<br>Nehalem will have three times the peak memory bandwidth of Penryn (Harpertown) processors.<br><br>I think there is a good chance that the next Mac Pro will have either an 8800GT or a HD3870 video card as bto.<br><br>BUT...<br>The truly big boys are not coming out until 2008.<br>ATI may be bringing out a new gpu in 2008 called the R680.<br>Rumor has it that the R680 is two RV670 chips on a single die and will act as crossfire on a single board.<br>It may be faster than nVidia’s 8800 Ultra!<br><br>nVidia will not be left behind.<br>In December, nVidia will launch a new revision of the 8800GTS 640MB video card. It has more shaders than the current 8800GTS 640MB card and may be faster than the 8800GTX.<br>In January, nVidia is expected to launch a new card codenamed D8E which will have two 8800GT GPUS (or more appropiately G92s) on two PCBs.<br>In mid-2008, nVidia is expected to introduce a whole new video card codenamed D9E (G100).<br>Not much is known about it except that it is a single chip gpu.<br><br>Nehalem Mac Pro: Much more powerful cpu and much more powerful gpu than the Harpertown Mac Pro. <br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 07:50 AM

Like many people, I am looking forward to buying a new Penryn (Harpertown) Mac Pro.<br>I think its going to come out this week.<br><br>BUT...<br>I think there will be new Nehalem Mac Pros coming out in the second half of 2008.<br>The people who are waiting to buy the Nehalem Mac Pro will have a much more powerful computer than the Harpertown Mac Pro.<br><br>Yeah, there is always that "but..." <br><br>One day, when life has passed you by and you've just become a statistic, you will make some computer truly happy.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 07:58 AM

IMO we need a 'special recognition' thread for when Topper finally pulls the trigger. <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 08:04 AM

A "special recognition" thread is nice but I'm holding out for something better, perhaps a bronze statue? <br><br>But, I hear marble is superior to bronze, so maybe we should wait and see?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 09:03 AM

You may be conducting your own 'hold out', but Topper is the Mahatma Gandhi of buying a new Mac tower. <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 09:04 AM

In agreement<br><br>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 09:07 AM

[color:blue]"when Topper finally pulls the trigger"</font color=blue><br><br>I'm not totally sure how you mean that.<br><br><br>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 10:12 AM

He means when you click the "Buy now" at Apple.com. <br><br>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 11:00 AM

Exactly. Did he think I meant an actual trigger? <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 11:07 AM

Well, life is kinda depressing without an 8800GTX. <br><br>

Re: Nehalem Mac Pro users will be the truly lucky - 11/12/07 11:09 AM

Phew! <br>I'm hoping it's this week. <br><br><br>

8800 GT vs. HD 3870 - 11/15/07 08:01 AM

Much to my dismay the new Mac Pro is not out yet.<br>I've been wondering if maybe it is because ATI just launched it's 3800 series of video cards.<br>The HD 3870 is a crappy video card.<br>The GeForce 8800 GT is a much better card.<br>Numerous sites have pitted the 8800 GT against the HD 3870 and the 8800 GT is easily the winner.<br>WITH MY LUCK WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO IS THAT THE NEXT MAC PRO WILL HAVE THE HD 3870 AS THE BTO CONSUMER VIDEO CARD.<br><br>PC Perspective: “Chances are good that AMD was as surprised as we were by the G92 performance results, since NVIDIA basically killed off sales of their GTS and GTX models by pushing the speeds up so high. Rather than try to bump up the speeds in a rush to compete, AMD decided to leave the HD 3870 where it was and keep the pricing at a level that would make it competitive with the options from the other green team. The performance of the HD 3870 is good, just not great.”<br><br>AnandTech: “Without a doubt, AMD is back in the graphics game. When the Radeon HD 2900 XT launched, we couldn't be more surprised at how poorly the product did. The lack of competition allowed NVIDIA to sit back and relax as the orders for more 8800-based product kept on flowing in. While the Radeon HD 3870 isn't faster than the GeForce 8800 GT, if AMD can hit its price point, it is a viable alternative if you're looking to save money.<br>AMD is in a lot of trouble however if the 8800 GT pricing/availability problem does get worked out; the 8800 GT does offer better performance-per-watt and better performance in general.”<br><br>Hot Hardware: If street prices for the Radeon 3870 and 3850 end up much higher, they will face some stiff competition from the GeForce 8800 GT, which outperforms the new Radeons in just about every game engine we tested. And don’t forget a less expensive 256MB GT is on the way as well. Fortunately for AMD, the GeForce 8800 GT is tough to find at the moment and it’s selling for much more than its MSRP.”<br><br>TweakTown: “The Radeon HD 3870 is good but it’s not fantastic.”<br><br>Hardware Canucks: “Without a doubt the HD3870 is a step in the right direction for the new ATI and it can serve as a great building block for future cards. Sure, it does not compete with the 8800GT in terms of absolute performance but its price is nearly impossible to beat.”<br><br>Legion Hardware: “Well there you have it, another disappointing release from AMD/ATI. Although they have managed to undercut Nvidia by reducing the cost of the Radeon HD 3870 by around 12% when compared to the GeForce 8800 GT, we found that on average it was 19% slower. So then in terms of value the GeForce 8800 GT looks to preserve its position as the best value high-end graphics card ever released. The GeForce 8800 GT has proven to be a strong performer, as has the entire GeForce 8800 series ever since it was first introduced over a year ago now.”<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

I was wrong! - 11/16/07 06:58 AM

I really thought the new Mac Pro would be out this week.<br>Obviously it did not.<br>I've only said this once or twice but I am worried that Apple is still going to manage somehow to give us crummy video cards in the next Mac Pro.<br>In October, nVidia came out with their 8800 GT video card which is performing way beyond expectations.<br>This month ATI came out with their HD 3870 and HD 3850 cards. I don't want them but beggars can't be choosers.<br>In December, nVidia is coming out with an 8800 GTS 640MB revision. Rumor now has it that it may be built on a G92 chip. It's possible that it's performance could surpass that of the 8800 GTX.<br>Anyway, I find the waiting just a little easier when I think that maybe just maybe the longer I wait the better the chance that the next Mac Pro will have a more powerful video card as bto.<br><br>

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 07:15 AM

What difference would those cards be for video /photo editing? Or sound editing?<br><br>I am thinking you are one of a kind person regarding needing a specific card in the mac pro.<br><br>

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 07:42 AM

The great majority of people do not need an ultra powerful gpu (video card) card like I do.<br>Most applications rely more on the cpu (processor) than the gpu.<br>Photoshop relies more on the gpu than people think but a moderately powerful video card will suffice.<br>Aperature even more so than Photoshop.<br>Leopard should be used with a more powerful gpu than Tiger.<br><br>Gaming takes a very powerful video card.<br>3D rendering takes a very powerful video card.<br>Working with HD video editing requires a very powerful video card.<br><br>imo, gaming is the number one reason to have a powerful video card. <br>The newest games have to have a powerful video card in order to play at high rendering and high resolutions.<br><br>You can get by with a moderately powerful video card for 3D rendering and HD video editing. BUT the wait time for the rendering takes much longer.<br><br>I'm not really one of a kind. There are quite a few of us out there.<br>You could add sgtbaxter to the list for example.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 10:39 AM

The great majority of people do not need an ultra powerful gpu (video card) card like I do.<br><br>When you get your ass handed to you in tournament play, it must be a bitter pill to swallow when you have to admit you're playing on a Mac, huh?<br><br>PC Gamers who lose, find comfort in knowing they were bested by a better machine and not by a better opponent. That, I suspect, is what perpetuates this lust for better gear and gives rise to programs like PunkBuster and Valve Software's VAC.<br><br>One of the most compelling reasons gaming consoles continues to gain market share is it places less emphasis on getting a technological advantage, and more emphasis on player skill. In the PC world of gaming, cheating and money trumps skill in the short term and provides a psychological advantage over your opponent but the talented, creative, and truly skillful can rise to the challenge by leveraging their weaknesses and outsmarting their opponents.<br><br>One could argue about the limitations of the console, but games written for it are "tuned" to the specifics of those components and game development is better managed and financially more rewarding when working with a finite set of specs. As more and more developers migrate to the console market, we can expect improved performance in not only the equipment but the coding too, as evidenced by the continuous updates and expansion to games made available through places like XBox Live.<br><br>Hard-core gamers, as they're referred to, represents a small fraction of the gaming community compared to XBox and PS enthusiasts and that fact hasn't gone unnoticed by the market. nVidia and AMD's R&D efforts are barely sustainable by the few early adopters and so they rely heavily on third-party's to license, re-brand. and market their products under myriad name brands in order to stay afloat, but at some point the diminishing returns on the console market will exceed capacity and reduce HC gaming even further. It will happen when console player's skill matters more than the HC gamers bragging rights.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 11:02 AM

[color:blue]When you get your ass handed to you in tournament play, it must be a bitter pill to swallow when you have to admit you're playing on a Mac, huh?</font color=blue><br><br>I don't play against anyone but there's no question but that some of those PC gaming rigs will blow a Mac Pro right off the map.<br>If a Ferrari pulls up to me, I know I'm getting my ass whipped.<br>But with a powerful video card the Mac Pro could at least be fun to use.<br><br>Forgive me if you've told me this before but do you have a PC or a gaming console?<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 12:00 PM

I have both so to speak. I have an XBox, XBox-360, a PS2, and my iMac running XP is my ticket to Steam, so yes, I have access to pretty much the whole spectrum of gaming.<br><br>There has never been any question that even the most modest-priced, plain vanilla, white-box pc computer with a half-way decent video card could crank out way more FPS than a Mac, but then again the Mac has never promoted itself as a gaming machine and more importantly, I have no doubt that those who play games on their Mac enjoy them just the same.<br><br>If a Ferrari pulls up to me, I know I'm getting my ass whipped.<br><br>That statement speaks volumes. So let me ask you this, if you don't mind, when a Ferrari pulls up next to you, are you checking out the car or the driver? Does it matter whether a girl is driving, or a teenager, or a handsome man, and do those factors impact your confidence and your chances of avoiding an ass-whippin'?<br><br>Do you always roll over and concede defeat at the sight of an opposing opponent? Isn't your confidence your achilles heel and not the computer?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 12:21 PM

[color:blue]when a Ferrari pulls up next to you, are you checking out the car or the driver?</font color=blue><br>I look at the car. If I have more than a few seconds I'll to see who is driving it.<br>Then I'll fantasize about the babe sitting next to me if it were my car.<br><br>[color:blue]Do you always roll over and concede defeat at the sight of an opposing opponent? Isn't your confidence your achilles heel and not the computer?</font color=blue><br>It's a bad example but the truth is I don't get beat off the light if I don't want to be.<br><br><br><br>

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 12:49 PM

It's a bad example but the truth is I don't get beat off the light if I don't want to be.<br><br>That's the spirit! <br><br>Quick thinking and good reflexes can sometimes compensate for what might otherwise be perceived as a weakness.<br><br>Please indulge me for a moment but ...<br><br>... one day in Marine boot camp we found ourselves on the Pugel Stick course, which was preparatory to Marine bayonet training. Each one of us would take our place in the Death Match ring and for the first go-round, it was stated the first one to deliver a lethal blow would be declared the winner.<br><br>Platoon leaders would go first and as it turns out, I was paired with a fscking gorrila! I mean it. He was a foot taller and weighed 50 pounds more than me. I could tell by looking at him, his strategy would be to pound the shít outta' me.<br><br>Everyone snickered when we took our places. We squared up with a couple of feet between us and when the whistle blew I shoved my stick right into his throat as he lunged at me. Game over.<br><br>He stomped his feet when he was declared dead and we took our places at the end of the line. When our turn came round once more Monkey Rules were declared and he proceeded to pound the shít outta' me!! He got the last and best laugh but we would remain friends for life like George and Lennie.<br><br>I don't know what that has to do with anything but I thought it might make you smile.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: polymerase

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 01:31 PM

<br>good story<br><br>Hopefully you didn't have to shoot Lennie ...<br><br> Tell me about the rabbits George<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 02:50 PM

Have you noticed how many times this thread has been viewed??<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 04:14 PM

You wanna really crank those numbers?<br><br>We got girl on girl video of jenna jameson and jill wagner<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 04:48 PM

Post it . . . just a scientific experiment, you understand.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 05:35 PM

What yoyo52 said!<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 07:35 PM

Anyway, you lied, there ain't no such video.<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/16/07 08:23 PM

wow, that's a testament to how impatient we are while waiting for these new machines. <br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: I was wrong! - 11/16/07 08:53 PM

You could add sgtbaxter to the list for example.<br><br><br>Or Nuke...<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 05:55 AM

Of course I lied. All you have to do is mention something and google will find it and send the word out to the masses. One can get high hosey hits in google talking about the most innocuous things. Say you were out camping with your girlfriend Britney and you saw a whole family of cute small woodland creatures wander through your campsite frolicking while you finished shaving?<br><br>Not really a good way to get hits since they are not the right type.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:11 AM

[color:blue]Say you were out camping with your girlfriend Britney</font color=blue><br>Could you at least give my girlfriend a different name?<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:28 AM

Britney, Brittany, Britany, Brittney, you shaved or were shaving with a double edge and the little beavers were jumping and bouncing and the beavers were even bouncing into each other. Would it better if her name was Lindsay or Paris or Jenna? <br><br>(Boy, watch the 5,000 jump to 10,000 within 24 hours.)<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:30 AM

How about Jill?<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:37 AM

Subconsciously I couldn't write her name along with all those ... all those ... I don't know what they are. Let me ask Norman Mailer. Oh, shoot, he's dead.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 07:28 AM

How about Lindsay?<br><br><br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 07:41 AM

No, no, no, no, no!<br>If it's got to be a loser then make the name Paris.<br>And we will change the story to:<br>Say you were out cruising around on a mega yacht with your girlfriend Paris and you saw a whole family of cute dolphins frolicking in the water while you finished shaving?<br><br>edit: I'll bet I am missing the point and that story won't get any Google hits.<br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 08:59 AM

Zounds, I do believe you are missing it. Let me try slow pitch right over the plate:<br><br>A small woodland creature. Big tail, makes dams, does not shave, used to make hats out of them. Then there are the striped stinky ones which would be incorrect except in the south where they are called wood pussies.<br><br>But then you may be way ahead of me:<br><br><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/COuJJBibGWM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/COuJJBibGWM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 09:16 AM

How about the direct approach?<br><br>Another Paris Hilton sex tape found<br>Fabio fights with George Clooney<br>Britney Spears loses custody battle<br>Maggie Gyllenhaal marries Clive Owen<br>Jill Wagner drives a Lexus<br>Morgan Freeman lied on resume, only 34 years old<br>Sandra Bullock bares it all in her next film<br>People Magazine votes Clark Topper 2007 Sexiest Man Alive<br>J Lo gets breast implants<br>Katie Holmes dumps Tom Cruise for Owen Wilson<br>lindsay lohan back in rehap<br>John Travolta was abducted by aliens<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 09:34 AM

Well eat me I'm a tuna, views jumped a hundred. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 10:16 AM

Yeah, I bet if you had sex women britney paris hilton [censored] cat shaved all in one sentence, this would get a lot of hits.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 11:08 AM

Do I dare try some more?<br><br>sex, sexy, sensual, sexual, amorous, erotic, lascivious, lewd, lust, lustful, passionate, intercourse, copulation, fornication, coitus, carnal, procreate, breast, boob, penis, butt, buttocks, porn, hardcore, xxx, explicit, gay, lesbian, fetish, bdsm, au naturel, bare, unclad, nude, nudity, naked<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 11:22 AM

Aha! That explains all those spam posts . . . it's the administrator trying to get more hits.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 12:37 PM

Truth is they were all me trying to catch up to you<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:20 PM

AND...I am only 15,345 posts away from catching up to you.<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 06:39 PM

<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Leslie

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/17/07 07:28 PM

Never give up!<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 04:50 AM

If yoyo52 stops posting right now, I will catch up to him sometime in 2029.<br>I will be 83 years old.<br><br>Yancouver? I hear you've got a lot of nice Japanese babes in Vancouver.<br>And I've heard it's supposed to be a very nice place to live (unless you meet up with Robert "Willy" Pickton).<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:27 AM

YoYo is the perfect example of what's wrong with out education system today. He spends most of his time in here with us, rather than teaching the stupid pukes who will eventually be tasked with taking care of us in our old age how to write a complete sentence without using the word "beotch!" <br><br>FWIW, I could pass YoYo in about 2 days if I really put my mind to it! But it's all he has in his life right now. It's his crowning achievement, his trophy, and the only symbol of hope in his life -- so I'll let him keep it! <br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:29 AM

I'll never stop . . . never, I say, never!<br><br><embed src="http://www.talkingwav.com/various/haha1.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:31 AM

Enough with the winkies, already! <br><br><embed src="http://www.talkingwav.com/various/haha1.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:32 AM

<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:32 AM

<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:34 AM

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:36 AM

I thought that might be a challenge to post padding, but then I thought, "Nah, Giz would never do that!" <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:39 AM

<left><b style="color: red; font-size: 900%; font-family: 'Impact','Helvetica',serif;">What "winkies" are you talking about?[/b]</left><br><br><br><left><b style="color: white; font-size: 900%; font-family: 'Impact','Helvetica',serif;">SexViolenceDrugsandRock&FreakinRoll-Viagra,Cialis,MakeYourPenisLarger, PleaseYourHoney,CheapInsurance,MaketheLogoBigger,andforcripesSake,PleaseUpgradeTheSoftwareHere![/b]</left><br><br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:46 AM

<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:48 AM

<b style="color: red; font-size: 900%; font-family: 'Verdana','Helvetica',serif;">Ah cuddnt heah ya[/b]<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:52 AM

I totally believe you.<br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:55 AM

Unless rule #18 comes a-visiting, in which case, sayonara.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:55 AM

[color:blue]FWIW, I could pass YoYo in about 2 days if I really put my mind to it! </font color=blue><br>I know that. You've got to remember that I saw you in action at MC.<br>You may have averaged more posts per day for a while than anyone in the history of forums.<br><br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 08:57 AM

Giz came here a year after I did. He has passed me already. The numbers just haven't caught up.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 09:15 AM

[color:blue]Do not engage in off-topic political or religious discussion</font color=blue><br>Those are the ones I try to stay away from but sometimes I can't<br><br><br>

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 09:56 AM

It's the staying on topic thing that's really the kicker, Topper. The topics are "technical" posts, or self-regarding posts about the site, the magazine, and so on. There's no room for doing what we're doing right now. Or for posts about how your left big toe is broken to bits cause you dropped a 500-pound weight on it. Or for posts about how you love your new car or your new air conditioner or your new wife/daughter/son/nephew . . . whatever. That kind of site is great for what it does, but it's not for me.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/18/07 10:56 AM

This whole post is a perfect example.<br>So far, knock on wood, the MOD pretty much gives us free rein.<br><br><br><br>

Is Today the Day? - 11/20/07 03:32 AM

Sitting here waiting patiently for the new Mac Pro.<br>Money is burning a hole in my pocket.<br>Come on Apple, Topper's got to have it!<br>Seven come eleven, baby needs new shoes!<br><br><br>

Re: Is Today the Day? - 11/20/07 05:20 AM

Who are we kidding here Topper... the second Apple ships a new tower with the video card you want, you'll buy it and be back in here in under a month complaining you want the latest & greatest video card and it isn't available for the Mac. <br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Is Today the Day? - 11/20/07 05:48 AM

[color:blue]you'll buy it and be back in here in under a month complaining</font color=blue><br>Nope, I think you are wrong. I think I'll be complaining right from the get-go.<br><br>If the bto video card is an 8800 GTX, I will be extremely elated. But it's also extremely doubtful.<br>If the bto card is nVidia's 8800 GT, I will be very satisfied.<br>If the bto card is ATI's HD3870, I will complain. And I really believe the HD3870 will be the bto video card of the next Mac Pro.<br>Anything less than the HD3870 and I will go postal.<br><br>I won't be real sad if the Mac Pro doesn't come out until January.<br>imo, this is a bad time for video cards. <br>The 8800 GT is a very good card (not great) but there is a shortage of these cards. Apple won't use it anyway.<br>The HD3870 is an okay card. But it doesn't have near the performance of the 8800 GT.<br>Neither card is that good at high resolutions where the 8800 GTX still shines.<br><br>Here is where the timing is bad:<br>In December, nVidia is bringing out a revision to it's 8800 GTS line.<br>Nobody seems to really know the specs for this card.<br>Rumor has it that it may be have the same G92 core as the 8800 GT. <br>If so, there is every reason to believe that this bad boy will out perform the 8800 GTX.<br>In January, ATI is bringing out a dual chip RV670 video card.<br>In January, nVidia is countering with a dual chip G92 video card.<br><br>Any of these three cards will produce extremely high performance.<br>Unfortunately the Mac Pro will probably be out before any of these three are launched.<br><br><br><br><br>

No. Today is not the day - 11/20/07 08:34 AM

Are you a shoppaholic?<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: No. Today is not the day - 11/20/07 08:48 AM

Nah, I probably look more than I buy. <br>I love stats.<br>If you are looking to buy something, I am normally a pretty good source of information.<br>When it comes to computers, I look at numerous tech web sites at least twice a day.<br><br><br>

You are correct, Apple does not love me - 11/20/07 08:52 AM

<br><br>

Darn - 11/20/07 09:07 AM

i am getting my hopes up.<br><br>ah well.<br><br>

Re: You are correct, Apple does not love me - 11/20/07 10:11 AM

You are correct, Apple does not love me<br><br>Because you're so hard to please...<br><br><embed src="http://www.timealone.com/webstuff/Hazy.m4a" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 10:51 AM

I let you down, bro.<br>I scared it may not be until MWSF. But I don't know why they would wait that long.<br><br><br>

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 01:14 PM

i could tolerate waiting that long if that's what it takes. i have a dual 2.3 now, but i really wanted to use Boot Camp on that machine as i've pretty much given up on Virtual PC. and running parallels on my Macbook is not quite optimal. <br><br>

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 03:01 PM

It's going to be worth the wait.<br>The cpu will have more power than you could possibly hope for.<br>I am sure the video cards will have more than enough power for you also.<br>Rumor has it that it may have a new case. Personally I could care less if it does or does not.<br>It may have Blu-Ray as an option. Until I see who wins the HD DVD battle, I can wait on that.<br>Raid may be built-in as standard equipment. I don't use Raid except for insects.<br><br>Do you know anything about Leopard's Boot Camp?<br>I thought it was supposed to be revamped into something spectacular.<br><br><br> <br><br>

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 04:27 PM

I thought it was supposed to be revamped into something spectacular.<br><br>I can only speak for myself, but BC is a nifty piece of code, but hardly spectacular. Imagine kissing grandma and she slips you the tongue! <br><br>The installation process of XP Pro SP2 was as easy as pie but there is an aftertaste I would rather not dwell on. Sorta' like swallowing oysters without chewing.<br><br>The whole process is made uncannily easy as is Apple's approach to most things but at the end of the day you are using Windows. For anyone who grew up with Windows in school, or uses it daily in their jobs, have learned the sidestep the piles of crap the OS leaves along the way. Me I'm still stepping in a steamy pile of it everyday. However, once I launch a program, any program, then I am in that developers world and many of them have created a decent interface btwn me and the computer.<br><br>Running games on my iMac 2.8e has been a mixed bag where APIs are concerned. I am running DirectX 9.0c and most games written for its API perform respectably on my Mac, however, games written for OpenGL like Doom and Unreal and Crysis look and perform even better, all except for the new Quake, which wont' even load. That is puzzling.<br><br>One real benefit I look forward to, now that I'm running Windows, is tapping in to my old xbox which I hacked with a mod chip. It was always a little like blackwater science using a Mac but now XP opens up another world where xbox hacking software is plentiful, not to mention the abundance of FAQs in the myriad xbox forums. At least I can now read others' instructions using the same software they're using. Unlike the mac-side of things where some hobbyists have made windows equivalents to the critical xbox software for the Mac, but documentation for much of it is sorely lacking and reads like it was written by the lunch lady.<br><br>So while BC easily opens a door, it reminds me of driving a porsche down a dirt road. <br><br>Runnin' outta' metaphors here...<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 05:34 PM

Are you talking about Boot Camp with Leopard?<br><br><br>

Re: Darn - 11/20/07 07:33 PM

yup.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: how new are the Mac desktops - 11/23/07 05:59 AM

I think some of those posts worked. Take a look at how many views this thread has now.<br><br><br>

Please let this be THE day! - 11/27/07 05:43 AM

Hope this is the day Apple announces the new Mac Pro.<br>Two 3.2GHz Harpertowns.<br>An nVidia GeForce 8800 GT or two 8800 GTs in sli or two HD3870s in crossfire.<br>Please!!! <br><br><br>

Re: You are correct, Apple does not love me - 11/27/07 05:56 AM

Let me be the first:<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> You are correct, Apple does not love me <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I hope Apple proves me wrong.<br><br>

Re: You are correct, Apple does not love me - 11/27/07 05:59 AM

My money's good. Why doesn't Apple want my money? <br><br>

Re: Is Today the Day? - 11/27/07 05:59 AM

>> and be back in here in under a month complaining you want the latest & greatest video card and it isn't available for the Mac >><br><br>Fact - it will only take him a few hours before he starts complaining - that's about the time it will take to install the flight simulator, play for a while, then log back in here and post. <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Is Today the Day? - 11/27/07 06:19 AM

If it's a fact, then you must be correct.<br><br>As a matter of fact, I am certain you are correct.<br>There are no new video cards right now that will satisfy me.<br>There are only two video cards powerful enough for me and Apple will not make them available.<br>My only chance, slim as it may be, would be for Apple to offer the 8800 GT as sli or the HD3870 as crossfire.<br><br>

Wrong again! - 11/27/07 06:20 AM

The Apple Store is still up. <br><br>

Re: Wrong again! - 11/27/07 06:34 AM

yeah, but it's 6:30 AM out west. shouldn't you wait until about noon eastern before sobbing?<br><br>

Re: Wrong again! - 11/27/07 06:43 AM

I guess you are right. For some reason I'm thinking The Apple Store normally goes down around 9a.m. EST.<br><br><br>

Wrong again! ?? - 11/27/07 07:14 AM

Excuse me , but if Apple were to come out with a new desktop would these 2 scenarios make sense:<br><br>(1) minor improvements (faster but same model CPU etc- bump everything a little) then they can come out now or any time.<br><br>But this sounds like what you want:<br>(2) major upgrades... NEW case and design, faster CPUs- new generation, video card, RAM, VRAM, HD space, etc .<br>If #2 is your hope, wouldn't they wait until MWDC in Jan since it's so close? <br><br>just hypothesizing !<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/27/07 07:17 AM

Not only that but he could have all of that and more if he were to just buy a PC!!<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/27/07 07:41 AM

This will be your number 2 scenario, Dave.<br>It will be up to 25% more powerful than the current 8-core Clovertown Mac Pros.<br>Rumor has it that Apple is waiting for a supply of Harpertown processors from Intel.<br><br>MWSF in January? Yes, right now it is looking that way.<br>But the Mac Pro is oriented toward professionals so they don't have to wait to show it off.<br>I would have thought they would want to launch it before Christmas. Now I'm not so sure.<br>Rumor has it that a new Mac Ultraportable will be the highlight of the MWSF Expo.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/27/07 07:43 AM

<br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 09:35 AM

In the Bewoulf Trailer I cannot see Angelina's CGI nipples. Anyone have a better link?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Oh, I'm sorry, wrong thread. Did someone break their wrist getting to the Apple Store? <br><br><br><br>I am the "Head Jackass", not just any run of the mill jackass.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 09:46 AM

>> Anyone have a better link? >><br><br>Go see the movie, perv! <br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 12:20 PM

Couple good words there. <br>That should get some hits by anonymous viewers.<br><br>By the way, are you serious?<br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 12:31 PM

Serious about what? Nipples? I'm always serious about nipples. I read a post somewhere that the movie actually has Angelina with CGI nipples which are CGI removed from the trailer. <br><br>Really, my only curiosity is whether the movie prohibition whatever is so messed up that they would require cartoon nipples be removed from the trailer. Are we still living with the backlash from Ms Jackson's nipple being shown at halftime? Is there more golden cameltoe than in the trailer? Inquisitive minds want to know.<br><br>Or it could be that my wife is on the other side of the world and I am bored.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 03:21 PM

I should have it for you either tonight or tomorrow.<br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/28/07 03:27 PM

Cool, it would be nice if you got both.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/28/07 04:07 PM

Sweet... I love it when Apple upgrades the TOP Macs... the middle and bottom models soon follow !! <br>My G5 is probably my last tower... I just can't justify the cost and can't write it off like most of you.<br>But the iMacs are looking better and better. I Just wish they'd use some decent video cards !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/28/07 05:24 PM

But the iMacs are looking better and better. I Just wish they'd use some decent video cards !!<br><br>I have no complaints about my iMac's video card whatsoever! It'll crunch through any PS graphic, renders video like nobody's business, DVDs are crisp, and the screen's color fidelity is unbelievable. The screen real estate is not too shabby either.<br><br>Games for windows and the mac look terrific and on those games that really tax the system, like Crysis or Doom 3, I just turn down or off unnecessary graphics features to maintain playability.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/28/07 05:39 PM

That's probably my next system when it comes time for me to upgrade in a year or two.<br><br>

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/28/07 06:03 PM

Can you imagine a 30" iMac? I can.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/28/07 06:42 PM

Really? That would be interesting.<br>That real estate would impress a lot of potential buyers.<br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/29/07 07:27 AM

I have a 20MB file in my Public Folder (iDisK) called Beowulf 23MB<br>My Public Folder Member Name is ctopper<br><br>I am also putting a 96MB Beowulf file in there just in case you can't read the 23MB file's codec.<br>The 96MB file has an H.264 codec.<br>It is taking forever to download into iDisk unfortunately.<br>If it is taking that long, I wonder how long a 700MB file will take to download.<br><br>I can also put the whole Beowulf movie worth 700MB in my Public Folder if you would like?<br><br>If you like Angelina Joli, "Original Sin" is much better than Beowulf.<br>But I'll bet you know that.<br><br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/29/07 01:57 PM

Poly, when you read my post below, let me know please.<br>I will delete those movie files a few hours after you respond.<br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/29/07 04:03 PM

Got it, thanks. Hmm, well someone posted that in the movie nips were very present and it was a cold room.<br>They must have experience with some pretty tiny nips. I wasn't expecting Kathleen Turner nips (those are a ten) but I'll we have here is a golden sheen.<br><br>I guess we still aren't ready for CGI nipples. Fritz the Cat comics had serious nipples. Why can't we have more of those? Maybe the Director's cut will have serious Fritz the Cat type nipples.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wrong again! ?? - 11/29/07 04:11 PM

Well that's encouraging news G4 !<br><br>Glad to hear it.<br><br>yeah,..... a 30 " iMac.... heaven !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/29/07 04:13 PM

There was one part of the movie where it looked like a girl was turning into guy. I serious doubt that is what you are looking for.<br><br>Do you want me to upload the complete 700MB movie?<br><br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/29/07 04:20 PM

Nah, like Lord of the Rings I don't want a movie in my head when I read the books again.<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/30/07 02:01 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I am the "Head Jackass", not just any run of the mill jackass.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Dern! ya' went 'n switched avvatars again! <br><br>

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/30/07 06:23 AM

Now that I am properly labeled I thought the jackass avatar redundant.<br><br>That's my new dog who co[i][/i]cks her head when photobooth starts counting down.<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: OMG Apple website!! - 11/30/07 09:47 AM

<br>I'm not talking about 'redundant'!<br>I'm talkin' 'bout a 40 Mule Team! <br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>

Mac Pro and OS X 10.5.2 at MWSF - 12/06/07 04:13 PM

According to the French web site MacBidouille the new Mac Pro will be launched at MWSF. <br>They say the reason for the delay is Apple is in the process of reworking Leopard to work with the instructions of Penryn and especially with SSE4 instructions.<br>It is for that reason that Mac OS X 10.5.2 will be revised and released at MWSF also.<br>It will be the best interim update of a system ever released by Apple.<br><br>Normally this rumor would not be a big deal to me but I thought it was interesting and probable that the delay could indeed be because Apple is trying to optimize Leopard to work with the Mac Pro's Harpertown processors.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Mac Pro and OS X 10.5.2 at MWSF - 12/06/07 05:04 PM

that's fine with me . . . i can wait. i figured if they've waited this long that nothing was going to happen until after the holidays anyway. i hope they ramp up production and have stuff ready to ship when they announce. <br><br>

Re: Mac Pro and OS X 10.5.2 at MWSF - 12/06/07 08:25 PM

This baby is going to be a beauty.<br>It should have either nVidia's 8800 GT or ATI's HD3870 for one of the video cards.<br>Both are very fine video cards. The 8800 GT is more powerful. The HD3870 consumes less power and gives more power per watt than the 8800 GT.<br><br>I seriously doubt this will happen but IF the new Mac Pro has either the 8800 GT in SLI or the HD3870 in crossfire, then it will have a video card (x2) more powerful than either the 8800 GTX or 8800 Ultra.<br><br><br><br>

Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:08 AM

The nVidia 8800GTS 512MB (G92)!!!!<br>nVidia is launching this bad boy next week.<br>The benchtests that I have seen so far show that this card is more powerful than the 8800 GTX.<br>Please, let this video card be available for the next Mac Pro. <br><br><br><br>A German web site jumped the gun and is offering an ASUS 8800 GTS 512MB (G92) for sale. <br>nVidia will take the page down but until then here it is:<br>http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/a299368.html<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:21 AM

Support group for those with a video obsession.<br><br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:29 AM

It already has one review? No price yet, but I'm sure that it'll run $1500. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:30 AM

Where is the support group concerning Angelina's nipples or am I in the wrong thread?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:33 AM

I'll have you know I am not obsessed with video cards <br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:36 AM

According to Appleinsider, they say: These will clock up to the predicted 3.2GHz and use new video cards, including NVIDIA's latest Quadro FX workstation models.<br><br><br>so, will that satisfy you or ?<br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:43 AM

The processor; absolutely!<br>The Quadro FX video card; no! <br>The Quadro is an excellent workstation video card. It works very well with video editing, 3D rendering, image editing etc. <br>But it is not optimized for gaming. It is not a good all-around card.<br>Add to the equation that it will probably cost an extra $1500. <br><br>I would rather have a high-end video consumer card that costs less and can do everything that I need. <br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:44 AM

The new cards that are coming out now are very reasonably priced.<br>8800 GTS 512MB (G92) - approximately $330<br>8800 GT - $270<br>HD3870 - $250<br>HD3850 - $200<br><br>Any of the above cards will whip the hell out of the X1900 XT.<br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:50 AM

You are in the right thread. <br>Using the words Angelina and nipples should draw more viewers and replies.<br>This thread has now had 191 replies. That is the 9th best all-time for MM.<br>3 more replies and it moves up to number 8.<br><br>Support group? Are you talking about bras?<br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:54 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The Quadro is an excellent workstation video card. It works very well with video editing, 3D rendering, image editing etc.<br>But it is not optimized for gaming. It is not a good all-around card.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And there is the reason why you will never be satisfied.<br><br>Mac Pros are probably always going to be relegated to being a workstation for video editing, etc. NOT gaming.<br><br>Didn't you read this article yet?<br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 07:57 AM

yeah, I would say he has a small obsession with video cards!<br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 08:09 AM

Yes, I did see that but on a different web site. <br><br>The Mac Pro does not have to be used strictly as a workstation computer.<br>Please note that two out of the three Mac Pro video cards are consumer video cards not workstation.<br>If you were to buy a workstation computer from HP or Dell, you would find that workstation video cards are the only option.<br>But Dell and HP offer gaming computers separately from the workstation computers.<br><br>I use the computer for some very cpu and gpu intensive applications.<br>I need the Mac Pro for much more than just gaming.<br><br>There is no reason that the Mac Pro can't be used for gaming IF Apple includes a bto high-end consumer video card.<br>I don't know why Apple can't see this because it would make a lot of people happy.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 08:19 AM

Because they hate you. <br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 08:37 AM

Yes, thank you, you've got it!<br>Some people call me paranoid, but even paranoids have enemies. <br><br>

Re: Here it is...The Cat's Meow! - 12/07/07 10:42 AM

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. <br><br>

Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 03:27 PM

Apple just released 10.5.2 which means fifty percent of this rumor is shot to hell.<br>How about a new Mac Pro and 10.5.3 at MWSF?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 03:37 PM

Huh? they did? It's not in my Software Update.<br><br>

Re: Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 03:42 PM

Sorry, my bad. I can't read.<br>Apple just "seeded" 10.5.2 to developers.<br><br>"Apple has seeded developers with two updates tonight.<br>The first is the Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7) update which lists fixes to 76 distinct issues. Bug fixes range from memory leaks, various printing issues, SMB support and more. Apple issued Mac OS X 10.5.1 in November and has recently updated retail copies of Leopard to include the full 10.5.1 version."<br><br>I don't have Leopard as yet because I am waiting to get it for free with the Mac Pro.<br><br>Again, my bad, sorry.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 03:44 PM

don't worry about it. I read that they had seeded it too, so I was shocked to read your post.<br><br>

Re: Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 05:22 PM

the article i read earlier noted that this release is set for MacWorld, so you're earlier prediction may still hold true . . . we hope. <br><br>

Re: Won't be 10.5.2 - 12/19/07 07:50 PM

Yes, there is still hope <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Mac Pro Countdown Widget - 12/21/07 06:25 AM

HERE is a Mac Pro countdown widget. <br><br>Well, actually it is a MWSF countdown widget but it's the same thing.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Mac Pro Countdown Widget - 12/22/07 07:35 AM

<br>24 days<br>1 hour<br>30 minutes<br>48 seconds<br><br><br>but who's counting?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Mac Pro Countdown Widget - 12/22/07 07:41 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but who's counting?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not me!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Mac Pro Countdown Widget - 12/22/07 07:44 AM

Are you going to replace your G5?<br><br><br><br><br><br>

I made a geniune Mac Pro Widget - 12/22/07 04:48 PM

I took the MWSF Countdown Widget and changed it to a Mac Pro Countdown Widget.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

I am sure nobody wants it but... - 12/23/07 09:21 PM

If you want it, my Mac Pro Countdown Widget is in my Public Folder under ctopper.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

22 days, 11 hours, 53 minutes, 29 seconds - 12/23/07 09:23 PM

Until the new Mac Pro.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Less than 3 weeks... - 12/25/07 08:19 PM

<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Less than 3 weeks... - 12/25/07 08:49 PM

How about bringing this thread back in 20.5 days or may the noodle god condemn you to dial-up only!<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: Less than 3 weeks... - 12/25/07 09:11 PM

Noodle god? <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Less than 3 weeks... - 12/25/07 09:15 PM

I'd guess FSM.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Less than 3 weeks... - 12/25/07 09:17 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, thank you.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Less than two weeks and counting... - 01/01/08 02:05 PM

<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>