Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop

Posted by: RubenC

Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop - 07/16/07 12:39 PM

So now that I have my MacBook Pro, I'd like to transfer some software over to it that I've had installed onto my desktop. Being as my house is still going through construction, all my install disks are packed away. However I do have access to my external LaCie backup HD, so would I be able to just copy over my User folder?<br>And must my user folder name on the macbook be the same as my desktop?<br><br>I'm hoping I don't have to reinstall everything individually. My main concern is getting CS 1 installed on my LApple, and MS Office.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop - 07/16/07 12:44 PM

Migration Assistant, no?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop - 07/16/07 01:34 PM

Like Pete says, Migration Assistant would be the easiest way to do it. You can clone the desktop to the laptop.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop - 07/16/07 02:43 PM

Normally I don't recommend copying a full users folder from one computer to the other. Some apps simply don't work right, and many apps store there prefs in the main Library folder, not the user's Library folder. Not only that, but you're migrating any "hidden problems" from one machine to the brand new one.<br><br>But if you don't have the disks, I would definitely use a Firewire cable or external drive and Migration Assist as already mentioned.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Fasest way to Transfer from Desktop to Laptop - 07/16/07 03:21 PM

Migration Assistant !<br><br>Excellent ! Thanks guys. <br><br>