What's filling up my hard drive?

Posted by: OSXaddict

What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 02:57 AM

I've noticed a few times that my hard drive will have a LOT less space left than what it said earlier. Usually I'll start throwing things away that I don't need/use and it'll help clear up space.<br><br>This morning I get to my computer and start to download a TV show and I get the warning box saying my startup disk is almost full. A check shows only 220MB empty! I know I didn't add anything yesterday...so what's filling up my hard drive? And what can I empty (is there a temp file that I can toss?) to free up space without a restart?<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 03:11 AM

Ooh ooh. I think I know how to help. There is a freeware program I got on versiontracker called "Whereismydiskspace?" Go and look it up there. It takes a few minutes to search all your hard drive, then it gives you, in order of size, all the files on your computer. The culprit in my case was corrupted files that the peer to peer application Poisoned had downloaded but failed to erase. You will definitely find out what the culprit file(s) are if you use this.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 03:39 AM

Thanks...going to look now. One thing I did notice was that I quit Photoshop this morning and gained back almost a gig.<br><br>Oh..found it. It's called WheresTheFreeSpace<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 09/27/06 06:41 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: steveg

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 04:46 AM

You might also want to try Delocalizer, if you haven't already. You can selectively remove any language kits you don't need. The amount of disc space it frees up is quite significant.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 05:45 AM

Delocalizer 1.1:<br>What's new in this version:<br>Updated for Jaguar compatibility<br><br><br>Ughhh!! Somehow I just don't trust that app.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 05:50 AM

Yah. A forgotten stepchild. But it still works. I run it a coule of times a year just to make sure any updates or new apps installed didn't deposit stray language kits. 'Course, I have no idea how effective it is for Tiger or Mactels.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 07:43 AM

I used to use one called Monolingual, did the same thing. I'd forgotten in recent upgrades/reinstalls to use it though, good thing I got reminded, I am also nearing the end of my hard drive space. Of course, I keep the Japanese pack, which is by far (and I don't exagerate) the biggest of all the language packs (am I a whiner or what?).<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 08:00 AM

One of the reasons I opted not to use iPhoto was the duplicates it made of the images whenever I change anything (simple orientation change duplicates the image).. If you're using iPhoto, I would check that too..<br><br><br>www.waleedsgallery.biz<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 08:03 AM

Yeah, iPhoto Diet would take care of that - wonder if Aperture does the same thing?<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 08:38 AM

I don't use iPhoto.<br><br>Pete - Aperture creates a Vault to store photos in. I haven't really looked inside of it to see if it keeps the other versions in it or not.<br><br>I can understand if it slowly filled up over a period of time, but this happened overnight. I'm at work right now so I can't look.<br><br>lanovami, I did try that app you suggested but it didn't help me much. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 08:58 AM

Aperture is a bigger hog than iPhoto. <br><br>It keeps duplicates of all files just like iPhoto (except they are naturally larger, because they are RAW format). In addition to that is the Vault function. It isn't required, but if you use it it makes yet another set of duplicates of your duplicates for security reasons (computer crash).<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:08 AM

I can understand if it slowly filled up over a period of time, but this happened overnight<br><br>So you know for a fact that you had plenty of room on your HD the night before, and then it mysteriously went down to 200-something MB all of a sudden?<br><br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:20 AM

It went from around 12GB to 220MB overnight.<br><br>I know in the past it has done this before, and (I think) after a restart it "clears" up the hard drive and I get that space back.<br><br>Once I get home I'll restart it and see what that does for me.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:21 AM

Did you try the folder setting as well? That can tell you which folder has the most megs in it. And the app I used was indeed called "whereismydiskspace", unless the name was changed.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:24 AM

Yeah. Didn't this happen to you like 2 or 3 years ago? And shortly thereafter the HD crashed? Seriously, I swear I remember you posting this same thing with a different computer a long time ago.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:26 AM

Maybe we are ignoring the obvious. Maybe your hard drive is HAUNTED (someone cue the T Zone music)<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:26 AM

Yeah, it showed you which folder has the most space used. But that doesn't help me as to what I can/need to delete.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:27 AM

Not sure. 2-3 years ago I had my same Powermac G5 (It'll be 3 years old next month)<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:41 AM

Holy crap. Ok, like 4 years ago then? Work with me here.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:47 AM

I had problems with a hard drive in my old powerbook..but that was a spinning icon, not it filling up.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 09:57 AM

Oh yeaaaaahh. That's right. <br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 10:12 AM

Yeah I do seem to recall something about that too.<br><br><br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 10:24 AM

After reading his post I recalled something else spinning, like a car or maybe a piece of furniture. But then I noticed I had already written my quota of insensitive [censored] posts for the morning. <br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 11:04 AM

I, on the other hand, have not reached that quota. <br><br><br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 11:31 AM

Assholes <br><br>Thanks for making me laugh today!<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 12:37 PM

You have a quota? Whowoudathunkit. <br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 12:41 PM

Anyone ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by D. Adams (the guy who also wrote the Hitchhiker's Guide book they made into a Hollywood movie 2 years ago or so). Anyway, a spinning sofa on a computer screen plays a not so small role in said book. Funny stuff.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 12:53 PM

Hey, John. Didja ever get your futon back? <br><br><br>*ducks*<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 02:12 PM

ok..back home and got this message awaiting me:<br>Your startup disk is full blah blah blah.<br><br>Available space? 0<br><br>time to restart and see what happens....<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 02:14 PM

Oh..and the trash can is showing it has items in it, but when I open it, nothing is showing in the trash. And when I empty it, I lose space...about 7MB each time! <br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 02:19 PM

Just another note before I restart. I quit all the applications running (Safari, iTunes, Mail, iChat, imagewell, Quicksilver, and Virtual PC [though I didn't even start up VPC...it was showing as running when I hit Command + Tab]) and a check of a folder and I now have 7.53GB available. Start up of Safari to post and now it's up to 8.97GB. <br><br>ok ok..this is weird. A Get Info on my HD and it increases to 9.44GB.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 03:51 PM

I assume you've run the obligatory Disk Utility / Disk Warrior?<br><br>This just seems like it could be a directory issue, which would make Disk Warrior the perfect tool.<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 04:50 PM

A restart put it back to 16.51GB.<br><br>I'll try disk utilities now.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 06:23 PM

Jeez! Took you guys long enough! It's a directory problem. Run DW for cryin out loud!<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 06:33 PM

I have DW installed on my HD. How can I put it on my backup HD? (I don't have the CD)<br><br>

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 06:34 PM

oh..a quick graph check shows this:<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/27/06 06:51 PM

I think that DW can just be dragged and dropped. If your external is a boot volume, it'll just run from the external. You'll have to do the serial number, though. Do you have that?<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What's filling up my hard drive? - 09/28/06 03:16 PM

I believe you have to run DW from another startup volume for it to do its repairs ( I have the boot CD). I had a suddenly "full" HD which I knew wasn't posible. DW fixed it - it was an extents overwrite problem. TTP ID'd it but couldn't repair it. DW did the trick with its directory rebuild.<br><br>