SoundSticks performance hit

Posted by: Anonymous

SoundSticks performance hit - 08/01/01 07:40 AM

I just hooked up some SoundSticks to my G4, after using Monsoons for a good while. I have a Gigabit G4 Dual 500MHz with a 17" flat-panel ADC display.<br><br>Since hooking the speakers up (directly to the G4) the system has become unstable and I frequently lose keyboard/mouse connectivity. Performance is also much slower; in SoundJam, for example, double clicking an MP3 in the playlist locks up the Mac for a few seconds until it plays (instead of being instantaneous).<br><br>Any ideas what's going on here? Might I have disabled an extension that is needed?<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 08/01/01 05:09 PM

dude... that's so odd...<br><br>I just lost my pair of soundsticks to a friend, who traded me for his monsoons, and the since having the monsoons installed, I now have to shut down my iMac Rev/A 466 G4 and leave it shutdown for a few minutes so it'll work again when I start it back up...<br><br>wish I had those soundsticks back ;)<br><br><br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/01/01 01:00 PM

Misha, it depends...how old are trhese Soundsticks? There were some glitches with original bathces, i.e, there was heavy clipping under OS 9, that was cleared when the computer was upgraded to OS 9.0.4/9.1. <br><br>As far as I know...the SoundSticks don't use any special installer software and they don't use a Control Panel. I've got mine hooked up to an Oct 1999 iMac DV, running 9.1/OS X, and they have worked perfectly since I used them. Even when starting up with "extensions off", they continue to work. I don't think they need any special extension.<br><br>So Misha...let us know what OS you've got on it...and when the SoundSticks were made/when you bought them. then maybe we can help.<br><br>Play it cool<br><br><br><br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/01/01 05:33 PM

Actually, turns out that the problem was in my G4's motherboard... USB wasn't functioning properly. Swapped out the motherboards, and the problem went away... a few weeks later it came back, though, so now the motherboard and power supply are being swapped out to see if that fixes it.<br><br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/03/01 05:09 PM

ugh... that sucks misha... the soundsticks work great for me btw... <br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/05/01 12:42 PM

---An incy-wincy-tincy bit off topic---<br><br>BTW...I've been thinking about this for a while, but the SoundSticks + iSub setup doesn't have a headphone jack anywhere. The small Apple Pro Speakers have a headphone jack in the ADC box. but nothing with the iSub + Sticks! Thats means I have to unplug them from my USB hub...etc, etc, and its a real bitch to do every single time.<br><br>So...could someone please explain!<br><br>Play it cool<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: jeffhot

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/19/01 08:33 AM

Yes, I can explain:<br>you are lazy!<br>USB is the easiet thing in the world. Just unplug the speakers when you don't want them on, and live with it! Wow, that wasn't so hard, eh?<br><br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/19/01 07:49 PM

LOL.... hehehe... now that's calling the kettle black... good one jeffhot<br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: SoundSticks performance hit - 09/30/01 07:49 AM

I also call it a pain in the a$$...its only a small oversite. Yeah ri-ight.<br><br><br><br>