ADC monitors

Posted by: sean

ADC monitors - 08/01/01 05:47 AM

i have scoured the web and the only ACD monitors i can find are the expensive flat panel displays made by apple. i would like to use 2 monitors with my upcoming quicksilver dual 800's but i would also like to be able to afford both monitors. it is hard to justify $1000 for an apple 17", when i can buy a very good 19" flat screen CRT for under $500 -- plus, the CRT is better for graphics work. does anyone know if there are any ACD monitors in existance beyond the 3 from apple? <br><br>i could always go with a DVI monitor and use an adapter...that just seems to defeat the purpose of removing desk clutter. hmmm.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ADC monitors - 08/01/01 07:31 AM

Apple is the only one that makes such monitors.<br><br>However, I believe the TwinView GeForce 2 in the Dual-800 system features only one ADC connector... the other is a VGA connector.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: ADC monitors - 08/01/01 09:23 AM

I believe you meant LCD...as ACD stands for Apple Cinema Display.<br><br>

actually - 08/01/01 01:35 PM

actually, i meant ADC.<br><br>Dual display option supports one VGA connection and one ADC display simultaneously.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: actually - 08/29/01 01:22 PM

So, there's your answer... one VGA CRT 19" for $500 and one Apple ADC LCD 17" for $999 ---- all this on one video card.... mmmmmm, nice.<br><br>---<br>If you have to read this far, I guess I'll put something down here.

Re: actually - 08/29/01 09:02 PM

well, since that post i now have a dual 800 mhz machine with 2 monitors. 1 is the apple 17" flat panel display and the other is an old 19" viewsonic CRT. i cannot even begin to tell you how much nicer the flat panel display is...i must have been killing my eyes to strain to view that old crt. this flat panel is so much more clear, no glare, the brightness is beautiful, etc. i think i'll buy a 17" flat screen display to go next to the flat panel. no more curved monitors for me...they are just bad all around.<br><br>some people will tell you to do graphics on the crt because the color is more true, but i think that is more for print output. i do more web stuff and, truthfully, my graphics never looked right on a pc even though i was using the CRT on a mac and "supposedly" using the PC settings in my adobe gamma. things always looked dark on a pc. have i mentioned lately how beautiful the flat panel is...wow!<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: actually - 09/02/01 03:01 AM

With all due respect Sean...but why didn't you justbuy a Cinema display in the first place? I know two 17 inch flat panels are nice...but wouldn't it have made more sense to go with 22 inches...or buy, if the budget allows, 2 Cinema displays? Up to you...hmmm...<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: actually - 09/02/01 05:24 AM

it's just my guess...but I would say because one 17inch LCD from Apple cost $999, and so 2 of them would be just around $2000 (whatever taxes would make it to be). It's easier to buy one at a time than to get $2499 up at once and get the 22 inch one. <br><br>The 22inch one is nice...but probably due to economics, as would be the case with me.<br><br>
Posted by: jeffhot

Re: ADC monitors - 09/19/01 08:14 AM

I'm glad you realised that LCD monitors are awesome for graphics. CRTs just can't turn me on anymore, they're way to big for their own good. Time to move on to the future.<br><br>

Re: actually - 09/20/01 09:41 PM

just to make sure i was clear...i did not say i would buy 2 flat panels. i said i would buy 1 flat panel (i already have) and 1 flat screen...flat screen monitors are WAY cheaper. i am now looking at a flat screen monitor for about $300 at 19". much easier to justify than 2 $1000 monitors or 1 $2500 monitor and the results should be stunning, imho.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: ADC monitors - 09/21/01 07:38 AM

I was talking with an Apple Store employee yesterday, and he seemed to think that only the GeForce 3 had twin view. While the GeForce 2 has both and ADC and VGA port, you can only use one at a time. Just an important note that I am about to go check to confirm. Of course this shouldn't effect Sean, since the dual 800 comes with the GeForce 3<br><br>

Re: ADC monitors - 09/21/01 07:43 AM

Oh I see there are two versions of the GeForce 2, one having TwinVIew. I saw no mention of Twin View in conjuntion with GeForce 3, is this true (so far)?<br><br>