no imac flat-panel confirmed?

Posted by: Anonymous

no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 01:25 PM

i know everyone's playing dodgeball with grains of salt as macworld approaches, but that's a pretty big one to toss out. confirmed by whom? i do hope you're wrong, and you probably do too smile just wondering if you could fill this story in just a bit more.<br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 02:17 PM

This would be a major disappointment if true. With iMac sales flat (trending down, actually) a simple speed boost isn't enough to boost sales, unless we are talking about a gigahertz iMac, which is a pipe dream.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 03:18 PM

ok, so you complain that a speed boost wouldn't be enough to boost sales?<br><br>What would an expensive LCD model do? would it boost sales, or steer people more towards a $400 PC?<br><br>How about a really cheap iMac with a regular CRT, and a few G4 models at the same price points with faster chips, bigger HD's etc.?<br><br>come on... if they can't build an LCD iMac for less than $1000, then it's not going to increase sales... They have to have something under $1000 to increase market share among consumers, as it's going to take a long time for Apple to win any meanigful business accounts, where companies buy a lot of machines cheaply anyways... and they can leverage their licensing plans with MS for Office against the Mac's obvious advantages.<br><br>so, look for a cheaper iMac at the low end and a more powerful one at the high end.<br><br>(still using my bondi i bought on August 15th 1998, and waiting for a second one at $500 anyday now)<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"Dying isn't hard for men like us, when every everything around you has been butchered or slaughtered .. living is what's hard."<br> --Clint Eastwood to Chief Ten Bears in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 03:49 PM

imho, i think he was offering a prediction, not a complaint. i personally wouldn't expect an extra 100mhz to cause much of a stir in sales if apple keeps the same enclosures. two CRT low-end models and two LCD models would be a victory, in my book. part of selling models at higher price points is giving people a reason to make the leap. save a few bucks here or go for speed and the latest look there. people won't buy an imac if the lowest price is over $1000, true. people just need more convincing to lay down the cash than they did last year. <br><br>a $500 low-end imac? you wouldn't hear me complain a bit. i just hope that's not all, is all.<br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 04:11 PM

ah... I see your point now...<br><br>I think part of making all of the iMac's have the same enclosure is cost cutting... sort of like we're doing with cars now. If you buy a Jaguar, you have to know that the door handle is the same as on something else that Ford makes... it's just part of cost cutting... no matter what the designer comes up with, the managers will find a way to cut production costs....<br><br>so, thus, Apple needs to keep all of the iMacs in the same enclosure as long as possible, so that they can reap the rewards of buying more for less in the production process... which i think impacts why we won't see a flat panel iMac until they can get the production costs down for all of the components...<br><br>just my thoughts...<br><br>***<br>"Dying isn't hard for men like us, when every everything around you has been butchered or slaughtered .. living is what's hard."<br> --Clint Eastwood to Chief Ten Bears in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 04:36 PM

that makes sense. in fact, i should try to test-drive a jaguar just to see this in action. smile i think it depends, too, on apple's plans for the imac. certainly apple has seen what segmenting their product line can do. at the same time, i'm sure apple feels the push of expectation to give mwny as much flash as possible. i think the industry was surprised to see the last imac rev move the base price up $100. who knows, maybe that was a cushion to help ease in a future LCD imac. the mill is making lots of noise about a new G4 case. maybe we'll see an integrated LCD-slim tower case (display on the opposite side as the swing-down door) as the new imac. that's just pure speculation, but it's still fun. :)<br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 05:14 PM

nathan... the new G4 cases aren't all that different than the current ones... <br><br>about the only real external changes look to be a good quality HK type of speaker in the case... but that info may be from a render, not an actual photo...<br><br>who know... Steve may just pull an apple out of his hat... it's always fun to be a part of the keynotes for that reason alone.<br><br>***<br>"Dying isn't hard for men like us, when every everything around you has been butchered or slaughtered .. living is what's hard."<br> --Clint Eastwood to Chief Ten Bears in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/11/01 09:04 PM

iMac sales have been tailing off despite increased speeds and lower prices. The line, or at least Apple's line of Macs, needs the kind of goose they were expecting from the Cube. Perhaps what we are looking at isn't an iMac at all, but the mid-range consumer item the Cube was touted to be but wasn't. In any event, more of the same with slightly lower prices or slightly higher speeds won't do Apple much good.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/13/01 02:17 PM

Isn't the iBook pretty much a flat panel iMac that you can carry around? Or am I the only one who looks at it like that? $1200 is not too far from the lowend price you're mentioning. <br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/13/01 04:21 PM

Without shedding any insight as to our sources... imo, a flat panel iMac doesn't make too much sense. Yes, it would be very eye-catching, no doubt, and would let Apple totally re-invent the system, but the flat panel has got to cost Apple several times more than a CRT... that means making performance sacrifices somewhere, and reducing margins. <br><br>Personally, I'd rather see a 15" or 17" CRT iMac with more RAM, a larger HD, and a better video card (GeForce2 or RADEON) than a spiffy slender iMac, wouldn't you?<br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/13/01 06:58 PM

Well, the advantages of a flat screen system are many: less desk space, less weight, less power to run it, sharper screen... A desktop flat screen Mac would presumably have a full keyboard, a 14 or 15" screen, cheaper but bigger drives, no need for a battery. While it seems I am almost describing a TiBook, (not a glorified iBook) it ought to be somewhat cheaper than that.<br><br>But then, it's not gonna happen, so why talk about it?<br><br>My concern is that all we can expect from Apple for now is more of the same in the same rapidly-aging form factor. Maybe an extra 100 megahertz. Big deal.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/15/01 07:00 PM

If the two rumored price points for a new iMac prove true ($999 and $1299) it would appear that Apple would be vying to stick a GeForce2MX in at least the higher-end system, actually making an iMac a good gaming system. If other specs are 600/700 MHz, 128/256MB RAM, and 20/40GB HD, I think Apple has a good chance of doing fairly well with this crop of iMacs. <br><br>Some nice new designs (ditch the all-ice front, imo) would also be nice.<br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/15/01 07:32 PM

RAM is so cheap right now, I don't understand why they don't just put like 512 in the high end system. I mean, that would boost sales GREATLY!!!<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/17/01 01:19 AM

So we know nothing yet, but if Apple don't release a TFT iMac, it won't be the end of the world (though it may be the end of the nerds). It always strikes me that those who complain about the imac aren't really in the target market. Over and over again you get professional users (and semi pros) who want a cheapskate system they can run Photoshop and Quark on.<br>This is not the point. Most schools, in my experience, still prefer to have a 15" CRT. It's the cheaper option (just), and you can get more of them in a classroom. This is also true of a lot of home users. Why on earth would you want a hulking great 17" clogging up your living space, just so you can check email and browse?<br>True, a 15" TFT would give more screen space whilst using less living space, but as several posters above point out, a TFT iMac would cost too much. The education market needs, and demands, the cheapest possible unit, as do many home users.<br><br>The other point to note is that this industry needs to mature, big time, if it is to move beyond the current happy band of technie nerds, early adopters, design professionals and "artistes."<br>The guy who delivered my new car last week had never seen an iMac, and he was quite impressed. Apple have been trying to develop the first computing applicance, a product as mature as a TV or toaster, something people will buy without worrying whether it will do what they want it to do. Even speed bumps are unnecessary for an appliance. What you want is good design, rock-solid reliability (with software that checks for its own updates and installs them automatically), and a brand that makes people feel good about buying it. Forget the bleeding edge: the iMac is supposed to become so familiar and everyday that even the guy who delivers cars will go and buy one.<br><br><br><br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/17/01 04:51 AM

heh... I just want people to deliver my car more often ;)<br><br>***<br>"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"<br> --Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales<br>

Re: no imac flat-panel confirmed? - 07/17/01 07:00 AM

[color:green]Even speed bumps are unnecessary for an appliance. What you want is good design, rock-solid reliability (with software that checks for its own updates and installs them automatically), and a brand that makes people feel good about buying it.</font color=green><br><br>It's pretty obvious even to the casual onlooker that iMac sales are tailing off rapidly. Whether or not "Joe Averageconsumer" actually needs a faster iMac or an LCD model is not the point. Whether or not he wants it is the point. I'll bet you didn't get a bottom-of-the-line car, even though it would get you from A to B just as well as that upscale jobbie you did buy. (I'm assuming they aren't delivering Corollas to the customers' door these days.)<br><br>Nor is it necessary for those with an opinion to actually have the intention to buy an iMac. An interest in the welfare of the company is all one needs. In my case, a selfish interest, spurred on by those 700 AAPL shares I own, at an average buy-in price of around $40. What I want is for iMac sales to go through the roof and share prices to skyrocket. Right now, in their current form factor, sales are heading floorward and schools aren't buying despite the price.<br><br>BTW: is that Doc Bob LeVitus?<br><br>John<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>