imac startup

Posted by: siletz

imac startup - 06/30/01 08:13 AM

Rev. B imac<br>iforce 400 MHz G3 cpu<br>3DFX VD2<br>Maxtor 7200 30 Gig HD<br>384 MB ram<br>Belkin 7 port hub<br>OS 9.1<br><br>I upgraded 2 mo ago and everything worked great, until 2 weeks ago.<br>Now when I start up from either the keyboard or the main start button, the button stays amber and the hub does not lite up and no HD startup. The screen stays black.<br>I can shut down and restart with the main button or hit the restart on the side panel and everything comes up normal.<br>this issue, altho irritating is not critical at this stage. I surely would like to resolve it tho before I go bonkers.<br>Any valid help would be greatly appreciated.<br> ps I have done the usuall, Rebuild desktop, zap pram, ran Diskwarrior, TTpro and et.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by siletz on 06/30/01 11:21 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: imac startup - 06/30/01 09:26 AM

my first inclination would be to perform a "cuda" reset... but I'm not a techie, so I don't know the implications.<br><br>Second inclination would be to start eliminating potential issues... <br><br>unplug all of the USB devices but the keyboard and try starting her up....<br><br>once you get it started up, start up once with the Mac OS Base extensions...<br><br> drop the video upgrade, and see what happens...<br><br>report back what these options do...<br><br>you might want to save the "cuda" reset until you try these options...<br><br>***<br>"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: imac startup - 07/02/01 10:35 AM

It sounds to me like your video cable's loose. This happened to me when I upgraded my Rev. A iMac with the GameWizard VD2 card. Because of the way the 3dfx card is installed (under the motherboard), it has a tendency to pull the video cable attaching it to the mb out. Hence your ability to control the machine: your computer's fine, just--for the moment--lacking a video signal. Such, at least, is my guess.<br><br>
Posted by: siletz

Re: imac startup - 07/02/01 08:59 PM

Thanks for responding John and Fitter. My ISP was down for a couple of days or I would have got back sooner. The VD2 could be the problem, as I recall it had to be folded on the bias and then worked into position. Al of my activities that use the glide seem to work ok, but the next time I open the box I will definetly pull up the mother board and check it out.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out