mac os for pda??

Posted by: Anonymous

mac os for pda?? - 12/10/04 02:41 PM

does anyone know, if apple is developing an operating system for pda or such devices?<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/10/04 02:54 PM

Steve Jobs knows.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/10/04 03:01 PM

closest thing I have seen recently is at the AppleStore, the thing attached to the register. Can't recall if it was the creditcard swipe machine or not....<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/10/04 03:20 PM

Yeah It's a CC and electronic sig capture device and is part of the POS. I can't see Apple getting into the PDA market any time soon.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/10/04 08:30 PM

Steve Jobs gave an interview about an Apple PDA..<br><br>He said basically the PDA was going to make way for the cell phone, and since the carriers controlled the cell phone market, there wasn't any real way for Apple to make any money. <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/11/04 01:26 PM

iPod IS a pda of some sort<br><br>

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/11/04 02:05 PM

Well, that's a rather narrow view of it. PalmOne is doing fantastic with the [formerly Handspring] Treo phones.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/11/04 02:28 PM

I agree. I would love to buy an Apple cell phone, since so many of them are so horribly made. <br><br>

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/11/04 02:42 PM

Here's my crazy whacko prediction:<br><br>I don't think we're going to see the "next level" of PDA/Cell Phone technology until we see the PDA go the way of a miniaturized "digital hub." I mean, you're screwed if you buy a Treo and you move to a new area with crappy coverage for the carrier... the components of the PDA need to be swappable. I want to choose the phone technology/carrier for my PDA, I want to be able to add GPS or other types of communication items at a whim. I don't want to be locked into a PDA/Phone marriage when I'm ready to either update my PDA or my Phone service. My thought is that it's going to come down to a group of manufacturers coming up with a small electronics interface that would make the various components of GPS/Phone/PDA swappable with each other regardless of the brand. If that happened, you'd see an explosion of options available to consumers—more options means you capture more of the fence sitters. palmOne has does have the Universal and USB connections that make expansion easy (PocketPC has its own set of interfaces), but until you see a standardized interface/API for these handheld devices, we're going to have these hard and fast separate markets for now.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: mac os for pda?? - 12/11/04 06:48 PM

Hmmm. GPS? You youngsters get lost a lot, do ya?<br><br>[color:red]"Any clod can have facts, but having opinions is an art." Charles McCabe</font color=red><br>
Posted by: warpling

Re: mac os for pda?? - 01/12/05 01:56 PM

I was at the apple store and I asked the woman there the price of something and she wipped out her iPod scrolled, and said $1,000,000 or whatever! But somehow she has it on her iPod..... creepy.......<br><br>~Ryan~<br>I see iPods rulling the humans<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: mac os for pda?? - 01/13/05 05:35 AM

It's quite easy to put address book contacts, notes and more on the iPod and have it display just like music does... you just mount in Disk mode<br><br>