firewire HD

Posted by: sean

firewire HD - 06/21/01 07:55 AM

okay, i am thinking of purchasing a large firewire hd (Maxtor -- Price: $379.95, 1394 External Storage - 80GB). i have never used an external hd and have always relied on the one hd in the machine. can i use the 1 hd as my main computer? in other words, if i use two desktop machines, can i keep the software on the external hd and transport it back and forth between the two machines and not miss a beat? or, do i have to have the software installed on each machine separately and just keep the files i am working on stored on the external HD? this hd will be used mostly for video editing. can the external hd be a start up disk? how about with os x? thanks for helping me explore some options.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: firewire HD - 06/24/01 12:20 AM

Yeah, put your apps on there, and move it around.<br>Just be sure if an application uses extensions etc, that they're present on both machines - this may require installing all the stuff on the external HD from one machine, delete, and do it from the other, you know.<br><br>I don't know if you can boot a firewire HD... it should work fine with OSX, but again, I don't know about booting.<br><br>HTH<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 08:05 AM

Be careful with preferences... some applications will look for certain files that may only be specific on one of the computers (in that location), which will can cause applications to lag when looking for that file, or not work at all.<br><br>
Posted by: Tim

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 01:12 PM

Sean,<br>If your asking if you can have the external mounted at the same time of more than one machine, the answer is no. <br><br>Tim Robertson, publisher <br>My Mac Magazine<br><br>http://www.mymac.com<br>publisher@mymac.com<br>

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 02:24 PM

[color:green]If your asking if you can have the external mounted at the same time of more than one machine, the answer is no.</font color=green><br><br>...Unless, of course, you "mount" the disks by creating a network, preferably ethernet.<br><br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>
Posted by: bdog

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 02:27 PM

But I think he means having the drive locally connected (firewire) to both machines.<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 04:25 PM

eeek! i never had any intention of using the hd with more than one machine at a time. my thinking is that i would be able to use it on my home desktop computer much of the time and then transfer it and use it on my wife's laptop (and eventually mine -- Ti-book 2) when i take it out to do video work away from home. i thought if i could install the software on a bootable external hd (os 9.1) then i wouldn't be breaking the law and installing 1 purchased software package on more than one computer (wouldn't look good for someone in my position teaching people about computer ethics, etc. to not be so ethical myself). sounds like it might be a little iffy after all.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 07:20 PM

If you mean simply unplugging a FW drive from one computer and plugging it into another, I thought that's what Firewire was all about: portability.<br><br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: firewire HD - 06/26/01 07:36 PM

i suppose that i am not explaining myself very well because of all of the confusion. i don't mean just plugging in to one computer and then another...of course that is what they are all about. i merely wanted to know whether i could intall all of my software on the external HD and use it as a start up disk on each of the various computers. cipher (who understood me) replied that he thought it would be fine. misha (also seemed to understand) replied that it could potentially cause problems if certain prefs or something are only on one computer. at least it is worth a try. i thank everyone for their comments.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Tim

Re: firewire HD - 06/27/01 05:44 AM

Sean,<br>If you read the licensing agreement, it is for one computer, not one hard drive. So technically, no, you are not suppose to install commercial programs on an external HD and use it on various computers. <br><br>Tim<br><br>Tim Robertson, publisher <br>My Mac Magazine<br><br>http://www.mymac.com<br>publisher@mymac.com<br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: firewire HD - 06/27/01 10:34 AM

Well, it is confusing reading and sorting out but this is the way I see it.<br><br>You attach the firewre HD (FHD) to computer "A". You initialize the drive and install a system. Then you install your software applications, etc.<br><br>Now you attach the FHD to computer "B". Theoretically all the applications have everything they need to perform successfully on the FHD.<br><br>The question is: does the FHD system have everything computer "B" requires in the system folder to function? I don't have the answer but am wondering if this is what (preferences) the other guy was referring to?<br><br>Is a system folder for a rev. A iMac going to function as a woring system on a G3 blue and white? Just a far out example.<br><br>If this has nothing to do with the question at hand or the price of rice in china, pleas organize a firing squad and meet me in the back yard in 20 minutes.<br><br>Kate<br><br>

Same System, Different Macs: - 06/27/01 01:23 PM

Kate in answer to your question, there can be a problem in moving a drive like that from Mac to Mac. Some macs require special little files, called Enablers, to work properly. Within the range of Macs that can run OS9 (let's say), there are some early ones with SCSI on the motherboard but no USB or Firewire, others (more recent models) with USB only, still others with USB and Firewire; it can be a mess. In theory it can work, assuming a model-specific enabler isn't required and all extensions required by both machines are in place.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: firewire HD - 06/27/01 04:46 PM

thanks tim! 1 computer is 1 computer. 1 hd is 1 hd. the two are different.<br><br>shucks!<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>