CPU upgrade

Posted by: yoyo52

CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 02:19 PM

This isn't an entirely pointless question cause I've actually been thinking of upgrading my G4 by buying a one-gig zif card. But then I begin to think. The baby I'm using is now something like 3 or 4 years old. I've been using it steadily all that time, so all of its innards, electronic, electrical, and mechanical, are now pretty old. It's a great Mac, but it has a relatively slow bus speed. And so on with the limitations. So how smart would it be to spend US$650 or so for the new CPU when everything else in the computer would remain as it currently is?<br><br>Please talk me out of doing this, cause I'd really like to save the money <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: margadagio

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 02:55 PM

Save some more $$ and get a new mac. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 03:52 PM

If you can justify the expense just for fun, go for it. Otherwise, like Marg said, save your money and buy a new system when you're ready.<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 05:00 PM

My fun tends to come cheaper than that, Alec <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 05:38 PM

Heck, for that price you might as well buy the dual chip upgrade! I have been tempted too as my G4 does support duals......<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 06:53 PM

Apple is making it increasingly difficult to find value in the "upgrade" market.<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:16 PM

I agree with that, MacGizmo. I'm tempted, but I guess I'll wait. I want a dual 867, or whatever is at that price point when I'm read to buy.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:28 PM

Don't forget that all upgrade cards come with the added bonus of FREE headache.. I've tried a couple of upgrade cards and they all come with their own sets of problems (mostly compatibility issues).<br><br>I add my vote.. Save and get the real thing..<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:36 PM

Thanks to all. I'm convinced now. I'll save till I can get what I really want.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 10/24/02 10:36 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:37 PM

The best advice in dealing with computers is this: "buy twice what you think you can use or need... you WILL ALWAYS grow into it."<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:46 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'll save till I can get what I really want.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Of course you realize this plan falls apart the moment you walk throught the doors of that new Apple store...'cause you'll want to get it before you've saved for it.<br><br>[color:purple]The shortest distance between two points is how far apart they are.</font color=purple>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:49 PM

I hear you, Giz. My history so far is that, except for older Macs, I've never really bought anything for myself except for my Rev A iMac baby, which I love but which is a little long in the tooth (or short on the CPU) by now. I've won one, had my job get me another, and bought a third for my son. It's getting to be time for me to buy myself another.<br><br>Now all I have to do is convince my wife. <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:50 PM

I really need a new monitor bad... I have 2 Apple stores a short distance from my home... and that is the reason I haven't visited them in a while.<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:51 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Of course you realize this plan falls apart the moment you walk throught the doors of that new Apple store...'cause you'll want to get it before you've saved for it.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>And that's exactly why I can't wait for the King of Prussia store to open! <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 07:52 PM

I'm lucky... my wife has never questioned a Mac purchase (although she did ask me to put it off for a few months the last time). She knows that I make money off it, and get enjoyment from it. You never know, if you ask her she might just say yes!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 08:03 PM

Well, she has this odd opinion that we ought to paint the house first. Now here's a picture of the house:<br><br><br><br>Do you think she's being reasonable? <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 08:08 PM

Now all I have to do is convince my wife. <br><br><br>When you come with a plan to win your wife over you must share it with the rest of us!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 08:21 PM

Did you all read Archintosh's latest news on future mac processors? Pretty down to earth and yet full of interesting tidbits!<br><br>This is a better link.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 10/24/02 11:25 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 08:33 PM

Interesting, Trog. Thanks for the link.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/24/02 09:09 PM

Architosh is another MacNN site... which in my book is shotty reporting, outright copying & speculating, and filled with inaccuracies... but that is just my opinion.<br><br>However, I have to agree with their article. People who are waiting for a G5 are just plain silly. It just isn't coming... at least not soon. If the future Mac chip is in fact even called a G5, I have my doubts that it will be a motorola-made chip. It just can't be. They are just too slow, and frankly, unlikely to remain in the desktop processor business much longer.<br><br>Even if moto had new chips ready to go now, if you look at the last few years of chips... we haven't really gotten much of an increase in speed in a long time, and we have more heat & noise issues than we ever had.<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 02:27 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I'm lucky... my wife has never questioned a Mac purchase (although she did ask me to put it off for a few months the last time). She knows that I make money off it, and get enjoyment from it. You never know, if you ask her she might just say yes!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>So...if I ask your wife if she'll get me a new mac, she might say yes?? <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 08:02 AM

I was referring to his wife, you silly beotch!!! <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 01:19 PM

Ohhh..so if I ask his wife, yours would buy me one? <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 01:23 PM

grrrrrr!!!!! <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 01:50 PM

I'am confused...just who do I have to ask to get a new Mac?<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 01:53 PM

Well... actually, you need to ask John if you can ask me, if you can ask my wife who will ask whoever is in charge... and with near certainty, the answer will be no! So you might as well just forget it! <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 02:03 PM

You have to pick you battles...I think I wlll run away!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 02:48 PM

Wuss! LOL<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 03:13 PM

LOL... I think we should dare him! He's gotta ask on a dare, that is, if he is a real "man." <br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 03:20 PM

OK, I'll ask (what can it hurt?), if she says yes NEW Mac, no, well besides my self-esteem being destroyed, I get to continue using this Mac and wait for Santa!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 03:41 PM

Ahhhhh.... and your manhood remains intact!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 03:43 PM

Boy, that was a close one!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 04:43 PM

And you wear that Ranger tab??<br><br>

Re: CPU upgrade - 10/25/02 04:54 PM

Hey..I was much younger then, and I am much wiser now!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>