Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Original?

Posted by: bdog

Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Original? - 06/11/01 07:19 PM

Hi. I need some help. I am getting a brand new iBook in one week! There is just one minor pain in the ass! If I copy my applications folder to the iBook, I will have all of my applications on the iBook just fine & working. Fine! Now the problem. If I also copy my aliasÕs to the iBook (I have 100Õs), they will look for the original item on my iMacÕs hard drive. Well, they SHOULD look on the iBookÕs hard drive. If the hard drives nameÕs are the EXACT same, will it still find it? I am going to name them the same anyways. But I fear that it will look for that EXACT device, not the name. Any suggestions? Thanks!<br><br>P.S. You can also follow this same thread @ [color:blue]ResExcellence's Forum</font color=blue> And/Or @ [color:blue]MacFixIt's Forum</font color=blue> <br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 06/11/01 11:53 PM

Did an experiment using shared disks and copying aliases it would appear that it does look for the exact device (when I unmount the disk it remounts it in order to gain access to the alias)<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 06/13/01 05:44 AM

yes but he is not using them on same machine... anyway if any pref is wrong, all that will happen is that the alias will want to be fixed and since he knows where it should be, he can show Nav services... that yep it is there...<br>and if for example he names the disc "ibook" instead of "iMac" then yes all the aliases will point to the wrong place.... but File Buddy will help him fix them.<br><br>hrmm

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 06/13/01 09:24 AM

Yea, I am naming each drive's os 9 partition (Hard Drive-OS 9).<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 07/01/01 08:59 PM

Well, what I did for my folder's containing many alias's is copied the folder (kept it on the iMac's HD), then I stuffed it, and copied the stuffed file to the iBook (since it can't touch the alias's while they are stuffed). Then made sure the book's HD was named the same, and unstuffed the file. Worked! I also played around with file buddy, but it didn't fix everything. It kinda confused me, but hey! still a wonderfull program!<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 07/02/01 08:01 AM

what did you find hard about file buddy?<br> yes it is complex or more so than some others but it is all logical and easily sorted with a bit of familiarization.<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: Copy Alias's From HD 2 HD-Will It Find Origina - 07/02/01 04:18 PM

Well, I was just tired, and wanted to go to bed. I didn't want to f$#@ with it, so I just let it do something, and then fixed the remaining alias's manually. I really don't care anymore @ this point.<br><br>[color:red]-- John Bailey</font color=red> ( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>[color:blue]Email Me!</font color=blue> [email] [color:green]bdog_111@yahoo.com</font color=green> [/email]