Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help??

Posted by: OneTraveler

Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 11:35 AM

Sorry for length but wanted to explain all. <br>OK, here's an interesting one. Have been hving isssues with a X machine here at work (slow to respond, the apps unexpectantly quitting, and the occasional kernel panic). Took machine off line until I could take a look at it. Checked HD space remaining - 0k (from 20GB HD). Checked file sizes for individual student Home folders...found one being calculated at 4TB (yes, it really read 4 TB!). After much searching I find the offensive file to be students Library folder, buried in the cache for Safari. Couldn't just dump the cache folder as the Empty trash would bring up error. Narrowed it all down to one cache file weighing in at 4TB. Looged out, booted into UNIX as root, tried to delete but won't allow me to (as Root...with SUDO command!). OK, logged out, started up in Firewire disk mode and dusted off my one remaining OS9 machine to run Norton (gasp!). Found the file and treid to run Wipe on it....not allowed...error message. Check file size - OS 9 sees the file as 4096 GB. At least we are consistant! Treid to write over file in OS 9...no luck. Went back to UNIX on troubled machine and tried to CHMOD the file, but always comes up with "Read-Only file". I am stumped. I know I could reinstall, but I don't want to loose all the student work they have done...WAY to close to finals. HELP PLEASE!<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 11:39 AM

copy the files to a firewire drive cp in the terminal, erase the students account, and buy more server HD space :)<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 11:57 AM

Here is what I would do.<br><br>Bring the system up/down to single user mode. After you do this you should be log on as the root user. I am assuming the file in question is local to the system. Move to the directory/folder where the file in question resides. Check the permissions of the file (ls -l). Remove the file using the rm command (rm badfile). Be very careful because you are the root user and you can damage the system. If you can not remove the file, check the permissions of the directory/folder where the file resides. that could be your problem.<br><br>

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 01:30 PM

Even logging in as root (single user mode) I can't delete the file. when i RM, i am asked if I want to override permissions. I say Yes, but then am once again told it's REad only and will not delete. I am seriously bummed here.<br><br>

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 01:49 PM

What is the permissions of the directory/folder where the file resides?<br><br>

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 01:58 PM

The directory (student folder) is drwxr-xr-x<br>the file is rw-------<br><br>Shouldn't I be able to RM this as root?<br><br>

Re: Need some UNIX/ 4TB file help?? - 05/06/04 03:05 PM

You should be able too. <br><br>If the filesystem where the file reside is local to the system you are working on, you will not be able to delete the file.<br><br>You can try the following:<br><br>su to the user that owns the file and then delete it. Since you are logged in as root do: su - user. If you are not in the directory/folder of the file. Move to that area then remove it.<br><br>Since you will be the user you should be able to remove the file.<br><br>