ibooks and external monitors

Posted by: sean

ibooks and external monitors - 06/10/01 06:21 PM

The iBook sports a brilliant TFT XGA active-matrix display with 1024-by-768 pixel resolution (borrowed from apple).<br><br>i read the datasheet that you can get from apple on ibooks, but was unable to find my answer. my question...if i buy a 19" monitor to use at home with my ibook, am i limited to the 1024 x 768 that the ibook screen is limited to also? i would like to use my current 1152 x 870 or, potentially, 1280 x 1024. am i out of luck? <br><br>i am also planning on using a external keyboard and an external mouse. heck, i'll probably get an external firewire hd, too. i merely need a laptop because i give a lot of presentations to school districts and various national conferences, etc.<br><br>oh, another question...if i use an external monitor, does the image still appear on the ibook? i would rather the ibook's screen gets to rest as i will use it up to 10 hours a day and won't need the machines monitor if i am viewing the external monitor. <br><br>TIA to anyone who has a current ibook and can answer these questions.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 04:13 AM

I have a new iBook but unfortunately sold my 21" CRT before I got a chance to try this out... the iBook's video out only supports mirroring, which means the same image is displayed on the built-in screen as on the monitor. The built-in screen can not be turned off, although can dim it all the way.<br><br>As for the higher resolutions on your CRT... this *should* be possible; the built-in screen will simply be black when you're running the higher resolutions (since it can't display them).<br><br>

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 06:13 AM

thanks, i would hate to waste the ibook's monitor for 10 hours a day if i am using an external monitor most of the time.<br><br>ibook or an old firewire powerbook (pismo?)?? that it is the question. hmmm! decisions...decisions.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: scaught

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 12:24 PM

hey sean<br><br>dont know if youve seen this, but www.barefeats.com has some comparative speed testing that might interest you if youre about to make such a decision...<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 01:01 PM

I've just had a browse over that way. Very interesting. Thanks scaught (even though it was meant for sean) <br><br>

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 04:46 PM

yeah, that barefeats site is actually what got me to thinking about the older powerbooks as an option; however, thanks for pointing it out. but alas, i decided today to wait until july and get the latest/greatest powerbook...hopefully the ti-book gets some attention (evem if it was just released this year) or it will be all for naught. fingers crossed.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Entish

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 06:10 PM

Gidday Maaaaaaaaaaaaate!<br><br>yes well that is why we are all here ... to eavesdrop on other convo's and get info... see if we can give info... welcome yet another Aussie to the ever unfolding book of names...
Posted by: Alex

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 08:17 PM

All I can say is: "Mate, bring back the DuoDock!!"<br><br>Can I get an amen brothers and sisters? hehehe<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 08:33 PM

Alex...<br><br>AMEN<br><br><br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/13/01 08:35 PM

well it seems there are many Treebeards <br>and I am a little... bent-ish <br><br>[color:green]a tree is to some a splendid being, of timeless beauty..<br>where to others it is just a green thing that stands in the way</font color=green>

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/18/01 10:46 PM

Just for clarification: I had a Duo 280 and 290 going back a bit, and with the combination of the DuoDock, they were fantastic ultraportables AND desktop systems in one. Now, looking at what you can pack into an iBook or TiBook these days, wouldn't a "BookShelf" docking bay just be AWESOME?! Why oh why didn't Apple think of this... or is it just the wrong market to chase in their perception?<br><br>

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/19/01 06:59 AM

Duos were interesting and light, but Apple didn't make much money from them, so they were discontinued. Sort of answers the question, "Why don't they try this again?"<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/21/01 04:00 PM

Good point... but have things progressed now to the point that it might be worth making the next generation of iBook/TiBook "dockable"? or again, would that be taking possible marketshare away from desktops like the iMac (whatever it may look like in a month)? any thoughts??<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/21/01 04:03 PM

at the same time... peripheral companies are making docks, so why have Apple waste the money on them. The market is going to be smaller than the rest of the portable market, so I think Apple's wise to make non-docking computers, and letting the companies that can realize a profit on the docks make them...<br><br>Perhaps Apple should offer a branded dock in the Apple Store, but not as a all in one system... <br><br>just my opinion<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: ibooks and external monitors - 06/22/01 02:19 PM

I'm sure Apple would be more than delighted to sell Powerbooks instead of lower-end desktop systems, since their margin is higher on a PB. I assume they don't believe there is enough of a market for a dock to ramp up production on one. (Of course, they'd be even more delighted to force people to buy both a desktop system and Powerbook or iBook.)<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Another Thought. - 06/22/01 02:22 PM

The new iMac is probably going to be a lot like an iBook with a bigger flat panel display, only made vertical, like a 20th Anniversary Mac. (That's my guess.) Would that make it like a docked laptop?<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>