USB 2 hub

Posted by: yoyo52

USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 11:18 AM

I got a little USB 2 hub, powered of course, to plug into the USB 2 PCI card that I have on my old old old G4. The PCI card works fine. I have a coupld of peripherals plugged into it with no problem. But when I plug the hub into one of the USB 2 ports, all hell breaks loose. The first time I did it, all my USB devives stopped working--warning after warning that there wasn't enough power to run them, and then, after unplugging the hub, I had to do a manual restart. I tried it again, and this time the hub just slowed everything down. I couldn't get apps to open. Even the restart wouldn't proceed. So I did a manual restart again. Any suggestions about what's going on?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 05:03 PM

I think you better get a PC Yoyo. You know how these Macs suck. <br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 09:49 PM

Already have one, or my son does. A Dull. Trouble all the time <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 10:42 PM

I'm sorry, I have no idea, but I have to ask - why do you need a USB hub?<br><br>Just out of curiosity. I have two USB devices - a printer and a camera, which means only one of them is permanently plugged in. I can't imagine using all my USB ports.<br><br><br>Oh, what if you plug the into a USB 1.1 port? USB is supposed to be backward-compatible. Just wondering if there is another way to narrow it down to the card or the hub.<br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 11:06 PM

I have a printer. A camera. A scanner. A Nomad II with a USB cradle. A PDA with a USB cradle. A USB videocam. A flashcard reader. An external zip drive. I'm using a Logitech keyboard, which doesn't have an extra USB port, so the mouse is plugged into the hub.<br><br>I was thinking of getting a USB 2 external HD, putting one together just to do it but also because it's cheaper that way, and at this point I have nothing that I could plug such a drive into. The backward compatibility is that you can plug a USB 1 device into a USB 2 port. I'm not sure about plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port, though. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/11/04 11:11 PM

Maybe this?<br><br>"warning after warning that there wasn't enough power to run them"<br><br> <br><br>Sorry I'm not of much help, but I'll tell ya one thing. I think that I'm pretty sure that i thought that you could plug USB 2 into USB 1 and use USB 1 speeds.... that help? <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/12/04 01:03 AM

Wow, that is a lot of stuff!<br><br>Why would you get a USB2 hard drive vs. a firewire drive, though?<br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/12/04 03:54 AM

OK, just an idea Yoyo. Unplug everything and plug just one or two thing you really need directly to the USB ports on the computer itself and see if it does the same thing. I recently read that if your USB ports (on say a third party hub as an example or whatever) are a bit off in the amount of power they use, it can really do all sorts of strange things. Try that and get back to us. Something to try I guess. About all I can think of.<br><br>In other words, plug both the Logitech keyboard and the USB mouse you have directly into the computer, bypass the bug altogether and see what happens. <br><br>Next time listen to your son and get a friggin' PC for heaven's sake!<br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/12/04 11:22 AM

I have a USB 1 hub where I plug in all the stuff I have, Mike. And I have a couple of USB 1 devices plugged into the USB 2 PCI card. I guess it's just the stupid little USB 2 hub that's the problem <br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/12/04 10:59 PM

Yeah, could be that I guess. How are things if you bypass all the hubs you hae and just connect the keyboard and mouse directly to the computer? It does have two usb connections I would hope so you test that scenario, right?<br><br>

Re: USB 2 hub - 04/13/04 08:30 AM

Oh yes, that works fine too.<br><br>