beep beep beep

Posted by: scaught

beep beep beep - 06/06/01 05:18 AM

my imac, when sleeping, will occasionally makes this little beep beep sound. anyone know what that is?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: beep beep beep - 06/06/01 02:40 PM

Did you try plugging in headphones to determine if its speaker-oriented, or something internal?<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: beep beep beep - 06/06/01 03:14 PM

actually i did this morning when i heard it beeping when i was wandering around the house at 4am. its coming from somewhere inside the enclosure, not from the speakers. its really weird.<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: beep beep beep - 06/06/01 09:25 PM

do you have it set to do any overnight tasks?<br>some apps do this.<br><br>..

Re: beep beep beep - 06/07/01 05:08 AM

nope. i dont think there was a single program running at the time.. ive asked on a couple message boards about this and still noone knows my woes. :)<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: beep beep beep - 06/07/01 06:18 PM

hehehe... not to belittle your problem, but perhaps you have some bugs inside the enclosure that are enjoying themselves at 4am or so.....<br><br>hehe... best of luck with the problem...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: bdog

Re: beep beep beep - 06/07/01 09:09 PM

Or maybe it's possesed by an evil microsoft spirit. Have you run Virtual PC lately :-)<br><br>Just kidding of courseÉ<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: beep beep beep - 06/08/01 05:44 AM

Did you replace the hard drive or any other internal hardware? Some components will beep sometimes... Adaptec's SCSI cards, for instance, will beep once for every SCSI device connected to them at a startup.<br><br>

Re: beep beep beep - 06/08/01 08:01 AM

havent replaced the hard drive or done anything other than hook up some USB stuff. and the beep doesnt happen at startup, just when its sleeping. heres my setup if itll help..<br><br>600mhz graphite imac<br>512mb RAM<br>apple pro mouse & keyboard<br>somesortof USB hub with a samsung ML4600 printer and a epson stylusscan 2500 printer and the cord for my kodak digital camera plugged in<br><br>
Posted by: Alex

Re: beep beep beep - 06/11/01 06:06 AM

Tried unplugging the USB hub and watching it for a while? Work your way backwards - no third-party hardware, no third-party software... a scientific method should determine the culprit.<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Longshot - 06/11/01 01:33 PM

Hmmm?! 4am.<br><br>Would you happen to have your mac set to chime on the hour in the date and time control panel? Just a veryyy long shot :)<br><br>

Re: Longshot - 06/12/01 04:04 PM

If it doesn't do it while it is awake, it definitely shouldn't do it while it is asleep... ::shrug::<br><br>Unconsiousness is bliss.

Re: Longshot - 06/12/01 04:06 PM

ya. thats the weird thing albertwu, when i wake it up it stops.<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: Longshot - 06/13/01 04:21 AM

Awww...it's lonely. I'll ask around and see if anyone has answers.<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: Longshot - 06/13/01 05:58 AM

well do you have sleeper installed?<br>Energy star settings = beep = "when powering up" or "during shutdown warnings"<br>also has (in options) Mute speaker while sleeping...<br>or<br>have you checked your sleep settings in Energy Saver?<br>are you sure it has not got a beep to notify that something is happening?<br>below is one of the strings from Energy saver;<br><br>{Use this pop-up menu to choose a sound for the computer to play when it wakes up. Not available because the checkbox next to “Play a sound when the computer wakes up” is not checked.}<br><br>