New LCD monitors and older G4's

Posted by: OSXaddict

New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/05/01 08:35 PM

I'm seriously thinking of saving up and getting a 22inch Apple Cinema Display! Thing is I know that it won't connect directly to my G4/500 (AGP but pre-gigabit ethernet). Does anyone know what the connector/adaptor would be called..if it is available? <br>Or..perhaps a site where I could locate an older ACD that would connect to my G4 directly? <br><br>thanks<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/05/01 09:21 PM

hmmmm.... Misha should have the answer to this question... he'll probably post it in the morning... I know that he's gone down the "dvi/adc/vga" route before, with many different monitors and video cards... and that might be an option for you, buy a video card that will support the monitor.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/05/01 10:19 PM

DVI to ADC get the DVIator<br><br>sometimes these guys have DVI Cinema Displays macresq.com<br><br>Oni<br><br>this is my signature do you like it?
Posted by: johnengler

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/05/01 10:42 PM

fast and furious... you rock Oni...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/06/01 03:57 AM

thanks a lot, Oni! <br><br>I like it when a question gets answered fast! This site rocks!<br><br>

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/06/01 08:47 AM

No problem that's why I am here, to help :-)<br><br>Did you see that pic of the dual Cinema Displays? I would love to have that setup or just one of these Samsung 240T<br><br>Oni<br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/06/01 09:30 PM

yeah..dual ACD's would be way too awesome! <br><br>That Samsung is nice too..wonder what those suckers cost??<br><br>

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/06/01 09:41 PM

MSRP on the samsung is $8000<br><br>I have found it for about $5799 at warehouse.com<br><br>Oni<br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/07/01 06:28 AM

oh...only 8 grand? heh...think I'll get 2 then <br><br>

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/07/01 07:58 AM

Gefen also makes an adapter (they were the first) but I believe it's almost $100 more than Dr. Bott's. <br><br>I'm curious to know if there's any loss in quality by going with the longer cables/adapter. <br><br>I just purchased an SGI 1600SW display that uses SGI's proprietary connector and requires the SGI MultiLink adapter to convert the digital signal to DVI... I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I receive the display in a few days.<br><br>For those of you looking at the Cinema, you may want to look at the 1600SW as well... it's 17.3 inches (instead of 22) but the resolution is the same: 1600x1024 (wide screen). If you can tolerate the smaller pixels, you'll save $1000+.<br><br>

Re: New LCD monitors and older G4's - 06/07/01 08:04 AM

what does it look like? I like the fact that the 22inch one is so huge and offers so much space. I have 2 17inch Apple monitors now and couldn't go back to a single monitor unless it was the 22 inch one...<br><br>I just looked at the SGI one..nice..but the reason I want the ACD is that it is big and clear. <br><br>I was blown away by one when I saw it...<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 06/07/01 11:12 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>