Apple and FuturePower

Posted by: Anonymous

Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 02:04 PM

I just read that piece on Business Week about the Apple and FuturePower settlement. <br><br>The thing I worry about is the fact that FuturePower is building a 17" version of its computer, but if Apple ever want to build a 17" version of the iMac couldn't futurepower sue Apple?<br><br>Granted, the new iMac may be flat panel or something like that, and may look totally different, however future power was right when they said that the computer industry is moving to 17" monitors as the new basic size that is still accepted by consumers.<br><br><br>- Jake Minturn<br>Writer, Web Designer, and MacNerd<br>"She was a black-top bombshell straight outta Bombay. She was easy on the eyes, so I had nothing to say."

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 02:10 PM

Fair point, but no worries.<br>Apple is way toooo cool for that to happen.<br><br><br>

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 02:41 PM

Apple didn't sue these guys over the size of their monitors. Pretty much impossible to sue over, anyway. The lawsuit concerned the appearance of the machine, so-called "trade dress". The iMac was a very distinctive computer and the FuturePower box was a direct ripoff of that distinctive appearance.<br><br>At this stage, I doubt Apple cares too much any more. The iMac is due for a "refresh"; in this case it will probably wind up looking completely different. The Flower Power iMac was a dead giveaway. Normally, you don't start seeing anything that goofy until the end of a design cycle.<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 03:11 PM

Right, I know you can't sue over the size of a monitor, but lets suppose Apple for some odd reason kept their current curvy, glossy, fruity design with the iMac. However, when they updated that design to the 17" monitor size suppose it looked like Future Power's new computer and Apple gets sued, that suit would come with a touch of irony.<br><br>- Jake Minturn<br>Writer, Web Designer, and MacNerd<br>"She was a black-top bombshell straight outta Bombay. She was easy on the eyes, so I had nothing to say."

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 07:28 PM

I suppose. But I kinda think Apple has too much on the ball to allow that to happen. My feeling is that, with Apple's stated commitment to the flat panel display, the next iMac MIGHT be an LCD iMac, maybe something resembling the 20th Anniversary Mac without the hefty price tag.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/05/01 09:26 PM

I'd think that Apple owns the "trade dress" regardless, so even if Future Power does come out with the same enclosure, different monitor size, then they'll have two things: 1) another lawsuit on their hands, 2) a big freaking enclosure that defeats the space saving design of the iMac... know what I mean?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Trade Dress - 06/06/01 07:26 AM

Probably. From what I've seen of it the new Power Computing enclosure somewhat resembles the iMac, but not that closely, or at least, not as closely as before. It does appear to be a honking big bruiser as those things go, however. Or maybe its just the rather clumsy design which makes it look big.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: SteveJobs

Re: Trade Dress - 06/11/01 11:51 AM

We reached an agreement with FuturePower because the iMac as we all know it is at the end of its life. It has been great for the last 3 years but it's time to move on. I promise that I have something great up my sleeve. Just wait til July to see for yourself.<br><br>

Re: Trade Dress - 06/11/01 07:26 PM

It's hard to tell who's who on the Internet. The Steve Jobs I have read about tends to avoid discussing, and discourages his employees from discussing, unreleased products. However, even if you are not THE Steve Jobs, I tend to believe you on this score. I like the concept of a Twentieth Anniversary-like design, which seems to be the undercurrent of all the talk. Seems a reasonable way to go, too.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Trade Dress - 06/11/01 09:10 PM

Stan,<br><br>I think yo uowe it to your readers and to Apple to let all of us know if this "SteveJobs" is truly "steve jobs" or not... etc...<br><br>Thanks for being an accurate, and responsible service provider.<br><br>john<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Trade Dress - 06/11/01 10:43 PM

I highly doubt it...there is a "Steve Jobs" over at AppleInsider too. Probably the same one.<br><br>

Re: Apple and FuturePower - 06/18/01 04:43 PM

Interesting thing is this:<br><br>Integral part of the settlement of the suit is that FP is allowed to bring a all-in-one 17" CRT machine to market. In fact, the announcement of the settlement was accompanied by a press release from FP that expressed "......excitement to bring the first ever 17" CRT all-in-one computer to the market..."<br><br>Knowing that Apple pretty much had them by the balls, that means to me that Apple has conceded that design because the new iMac is going in a totally different direction.<br><br>LDC iMac........oh yeah......<br><br>