1 External drive, 2 macs

Posted by: Anonymous

1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/12/04 01:53 PM

Can I have two Macs, connected to the same external Firewire drive at the same time. <br><br>Seems like an easy way to create a drop box between the two. Haven't tried it yet... any thoughts?<br><br>-----<br>Folding for Fun teammacosx dot org
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/12/04 01:55 PM

If there's 2 ports on the back of the drive, I believe you can...<br><br><br>

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/12/04 02:14 PM

Yes, there are two ports... any one try it?<br><br>Hate to be a G5 killer, oooh Nooooo<br><br>-----<br>Folding for Fun teammacosx dot org
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/12/04 03:26 PM

Hook it up, the worst thing that can happen is the HD just won't mount on one machine. It worked for me.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/13/04 01:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. It worked for you?<br><br>-----<br>Folding for Fun teammacosx dot org
Posted by: trey

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/13/04 04:05 PM

I should think that even if it's just hooked up to one machine that it would still be visible to the other over the network... Of course, I just realized that you may not have a network set up.<br><br>

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/14/04 03:11 PM

Yes, I do have an ethernet network, and file sharing. Just seems to be a few steps involved, to quickly transfer a file between two boxes. So I was looking at this firewire drive of mine, and it seemed like this would be a way to have a drop box between the two boxes (photos, one box does the scanning, "a slow process" while the other box can be busy at the photoshop) And at the same time I could stiffen up the firewall, by not allowing things like file sharing or the sorts... <br><br>I'm sure there are also other ways to do this, open to suggestions, thanks<br><br>-----<br>Folding for Fun teammacosx dot org
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/14/04 08:09 PM

JUST DO IT....<br><br>
Posted by: charlie

Re: 1 External drive, 2 macs - 02/21/04 05:39 AM

If that doesn't work you could try IP over FireWire to connect the machines together. Than you have no slow transfers for your big files.<br><br>Add in Teleport from on version tracker and you can take your mouse cursor off one screen and over to the other, and the keyboard too, making your scan and edit on 2 machines easy.<br><br>