new 64 bit powerpc?

Posted by: johnengler

new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:07 PM

so I read about IBM's new 64bit powerpc. <br><br>wow, I guess... so why do we need a G 5 again? how about we just jump straight to 64bit?<br><br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:10 PM

Maybe this is the G5? This is the first time that I'm actually believeing a G5 (or whatever they decide to call it) is in the not-too-distant future.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Trog

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:13 PM

MacOS rumors isn't even hesitating about calling it the G5. If that really is true, I think that is very exciting! Something awesome to look forward to for Apple.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:18 PM

I think the G5 was on motorola's roadmap but not on IBMs... but that's neither her nor there... I can and usually am wrong... and my source at motorola isn't awake right now.<br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:19 PM

hehe...<br><br>mosr really ought to hesitate every now and then...<br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 09:28 PM

I think MOSR's motto is "He who hesitates is lost." <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/08/02 11:21 PM

so I figured something cool out... I AM FU**ING CURSED! I can probably actually get onto macosrumors.com 1 out of every 25 tries (if they are spaced over 2 days) Is there somewhere else I could read about this 64 processor?<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 07:16 AM

there should be a link to a reputable story on the macminute homepage. gothere and command+f for 64<br><br>"In the old days, you'd finish a day's work and announce, 'I'm done.' Nobody ever does that now. There's never enough time." -- Elliott Masie

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 08:26 AM

HangDog, MOSR went down last night after I read their post. I can't connect anymore either.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 08:47 AM

This sounds like the real thing, doesn't it? I can see Apple's SWAT response force in action as they take down MOSR and anyone else who reports that the new chip is really what we've been calling the G .......AAARRRRGGGGHHHH<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 09:23 AM

LOL <br><br><br>They seem to go down quite a bit, actually. That's funny enough for a group that is supposed to be on the cutting edge of development.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 10:33 AM

Ryan is a bored little boy running MOSR out of his garage... he neither has any contacts, nor has any "inside" knowledge of ANYTHING other than how many fingers he can stick up his @ss at one time without the use of lubricants!<br><br>However, for good fun, go to RumorTracker so you can stay up to date with ALL the major Mac rumor sites at once - they even "Rate" the rumors. It's a decent site if you enjoy the laughter you get from reading rumor sites like I do.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 11:02 AM

Well, now if you want the REAL scoops go to http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/<br><br>Do you folks read this? After reading yesterday's episode I almost fell off my chair <br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 11:10 AM

Thanks for the links, MacGizmo and Trog. The story on CrazyAppleRumors from yesterday is great <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 08:58 PM

I hope this 64 bit thing is real and coming out soon..... I w.a.n.t.....<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/09/02 11:53 PM

Does anyone feel like explaining just what the heck it means to be 64-bit exactly, and why that is better? Yes, I see the number is higher, but there must be something very different about the way it works too, eh?<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 08:54 AM

A very simple account here:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>It's likely you've heard of bits and bytes. They're the fundamental units used to measure the computational capacity of a computer processor. They're also used to measure computer storage such as RAM and disk space, which confuses some people. Without going too far into Computing 101, bits refer to the original zeros and ones of binary computation, which in turn refer back to the individual electronic "switches" in transistors that are either on (1) or off (0). Get a row of switches, say eight of them, and set them up like this: "on, off, on, on, off, off, off, on." That's eight bits, representing 10110001 in binary code. The eight bits make up one "word," or a byte. Most computer processors do computations with "words" of this kind-adding, subtracting, manipulating text, and so forth.<br><br> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <br><br>It doesn't take much intuition to see that your processor (CPU) would compute faster if it could handle 16 or 32 bits at a time. In fact, the more bits you have, the more you can break them up into separate words and do all kinds of fancy tricks, especially processing different things at the same time (parallel processing). And when you get to 64 bits, well, now you're cookin'.<br><br>We're accustomed to the idea of processor speed, traditionally measured in megahertz (MHz) and now gigahertz (GHz). This has some value as a relative measure of processor capacity, but it's misleading with 64-bit processors. The MHz rating of a processor tells you how many cycles ("ticks of the clock") it can perform in a second, but it doesn't indicate what it can do in each cycle. That's where the bit capacity comes in. A 64-bit computer can handle more computations, memory, and input/output with each processor cycle. That's why current 64-bit processors--such as the Intel Itanium, which runs at only 733 MHz--can be a more powerful processor than the current Pentium IV, which runs at 2.2GHz.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>This is from an article here<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 01:48 PM

Hmmm.. yes, I see. Yup, I want one! <br><br>thanks for the info.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 02:05 PM

buh-bye moto, buh-bye altivec; hello 64 bit proc with 160+vector processor units. What do you think the clockspeed will rate? I ask this purely of interest in how it will rate to the current G4's<br><br>stop that vesch before I viddy over and smash you something horrorshow

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 04:31 PM

so yeah... I MUST own one NOW!<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 04:55 PM

As fas as I understand these things, it's not going to be so automatic a thing. Apple and software manufacturers would have to rewrite code to avail themselves of the 64-bit processor, and if the processor is backwards compatible with 32-bit code, the software wouldn't necessarily be any faster.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/10/02 08:58 PM

correct. And you can bet that after porting all their apps to OSX, companies like Adobe, Macromedia, MS, etc., won't be to hip about having to re-write code AGAIN!<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 12:06 AM

What?! You mean software will have to be completely recoded again?? I don't get it, but that probably means we can just forget all about this thing for at least a few years. Damn, I thought it sounded pretty exciting too. Finally give Intel a real run...<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 10:14 AM

they don't HAVE to re-write the code... unless they DON'T want to take advantage of the new architecture.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 12:50 PM

I WANT ONE. EVEN IF NO SOFTWARE RUNS ON IT!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 01:22 PM

I think the equasion is clear. IBM has the CPU, but no good OS (Windows alternative). Apple has no CPU, but has a good OS. What do they do? IBM sells CPUs to Apple, so Macs can rock. Apple sells OSX to IBM, so IBM PCs with the PowerPC chip will run OSX with a less sweet new interface (no Aqua) which fits better office users.<br><br>This way IBM can fight Wintel PCs office users, who are already looking for alternatives. IBM is a good name to make a move.<br><br>Now the question is: Is all this good for Mac users? I certainly think it is. The more OSX operating systems sold, the more companies will consider porting their apps. However, the hackers will turn to OSX as something worth hacking in, which they haven't been doing so hard so far.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 02:37 PM

Hmmm... that's one I hadn't heard yet. It seems like a decent idea. Funny how these circles go; imagine Apple making the operating system for IBM after all these years!<br><br>I don't think anyone would have predicted that ten or fifteen years ago.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 03:15 PM

I seriously doubt IBM would even consider putting OSX on any of their machines. First off, they don't see any real "desktop" machines with a PowerPC Chip in it (they do sell servers with it though), and second, MS would probably drop a pipe bomb down their pants and hold their finger on the button till IBM changed their mind.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/11/02 03:25 PM

Scenario number two paints a nice picture! <br> I envision a crazed Steve Ballmer snatching the controls from Gates and pressing the button repeatedly.<br><br>

Re: new 64 bit powerpc? - 08/12/02 12:16 PM

Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb...<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>